Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: BA Hand baggage changes

BA Hand baggage changes

Had this email from BA this morning - main point is that your second (larger) hand baggage may have to go into the hold on full flights. I think this is a good idea as I have found the size of carry on bags increasing and it is becoming more difficult to find a space in the overheads. I understand you need lots if travelling with a baby/ young children, but many adults bring the "kitchen sink' with them too.

Changes to hand baggage

In recent months we have seen an increase in customers travelling with hand baggage that exceeds their allowance. We always try to accommodate our customers where we can but to make sure the aircraft is ready to depart on time we are making the following changes:

• You can continue to carry 2 pieces of hand baggage. One bag should be a handbag/laptop sized bag which should now be no larger than 40x30x15cm.

• The size of your additional cabin bag remains unchanged and should be no larger than 56x45x25cm and can weigh up to 23kgs.

• Customers travelling in all cabins, except First and Club World will receive a yellow tag for handbag/laptop sized bags which are within the new dimensions. We guarantee that you can take this bag on board with you. Please have the tag visible for boarding and place the bag under the seat in front of you.

• We encourage you to carry any valuables or items such as medication in your handbag/laptop sized bag to ensure you have everything you need in the cabin.

• Customers who travel with hand baggage which is outside of their allowance will be asked to check this into the hold.

• On very busy flights we may have to ask some of our customers to check bags without yellow tags into the hold if the overhead lockers are full.

These changes will be rolling out across our network in the coming weeks and we will keep you up to date as and when this happens.

We appreciate your support and look forward to welcoming you on board very soon.
    Gerry and Sue

Thank you for that. We are travelling on BA on 22nd September but as yet have received no notification.

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    Yes we have had that notification, very annoying as I have recently bought a new bag which is within the old dimensions but larger than the new ones, hopefully they will let it on as it is a softish bag and will scrunch up a bit.
    Lyn

We had the email last night.
    I seem to remember last time there were some changes someone challenged it and it turned out they had to abide by conditions at time of booking as stated on your confirmation. We go with BA on 22nd to Chicago so need to check my dimensions and be ready to pull up the paperwork if required ��

Liz

We have had mother email today which says the same thing but with an addendum which says that if you booked before August 18th they will honor the conditions under which you booked.

Liz

We had the email last week too. Thank goodness they are tightening up on carry one, some people arevreallyninconsiderate.

Andrena

Funny thing is, flying on BA to Orlando, I've never experienced a problem with overhead locker space (unlike the debacle that is domestic US flights!).

The thing I took from the announcement (I received the email too) was that your main carry-on is no longer guaranteed to travel on board with you.
    Tony G

Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    Funny thing is, flying on BA to Orlando, I've never experienced a problem with overhead locker space (unlike the debacle that is domestic US flights!).

The thing I took from the announcement (I received the email too) was that your main carry-on is no longer guaranteed to travel on board with you.
    Yes, that was the thing I picked up on too. However it does say to keep meds and valuables with you - laptop etc and we have got to the age now that three or four weeks meds for us all + a laptop + passports + earphone for the flight and all the paper work for car hire etc, fills my hand luggage so if it had to go in the hold I would have to carry all those in my hands and put an empty bag in the hold !!!
    Last edited by Gerry Reed; 08-08-2015 at 11:37.
    Gerry and Sue