Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transfer times

Transfer times

We are flying to Orlando in Oct with indirect flights for the first time - always gone direct before.

We have booked all flights in one go with Virgin and been assured that we have enough time for transfers etc but it all looks a bit tight to me. Please could someone explain the procedure. Do we collect our case at Atlanta on the way out and re check in at the normal check in or is there one in transit? I believe we have to clear immigration here. Do we then exit the airport and check in as if for a first flight ? We have 1hr 50 but need to change terminals.
    On the way back we come via JFK but no change of terminal. Again do we collect cases or will they be booked straight through as I guess we don't do UK immigration at JFK ? We have travelled elsewhere in the world with multiple flights and checked cases in at Heathrow for the full journey - not collecting them until our final destination but that has been one international flight following another - no domestic flights.

As all flights were booked in one package are we covered if the first flight is delayed and we miss a connection etc ?

Sue
    Last edited by Gerry Reed; 12-07-2015 at 07:28.
    Gerry and Sue

Florida Chatterbox
    It's a while since we did indirect flights but from memory when you check in your bags will be tagged to Atlanta and Orlando. When you arrive in Atlanta you will clear immigration and then collect your bags and then clear customs. There then should be a transit desk where you can simply hand your bags in and they will be placed on your flight to Orlando. You will then need to go to the gate for the flight and go through security. When you arrive in Orlando you simply collect your bags and go straight to the car hire desks.

Coming back your bags will be checked through to your destination and you will not see them again until you collect them at your destination. When you land at JFK you just go to the gate for your departure flight. I think if you remain airside you will not be required to go through security again.

Hope I have remembered it correctly.

Florida Junior
    Be aware that Atlanta Airport is enormous so finding your new gate could be some distance from the one you land at.

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    We transfered at Atlanta and yes it is big but the train connecting terminals is very good. Its a straight line, rather than circular. Can't comment on immigration as we used this on the homeward leg so no immigration needed. We only had 90 minutes and did this with ease.
    Christine

Quote Originally Posted by Laurel Oak View Post
    It's a while since we did indirect flights but from memory when you check in your bags will be tagged to Atlanta and Orlando. When you arrive in Atlanta you will clear immigration and then collect your bags and then clear customs. There then should be a transit desk where you can simply hand your bags in and they will be placed on your flight to Orlando. You will then need to go to the gate for the flight and go through security. When you arrive in Orlando you simply collect your bags and go straight to the car hire desks.

Coming back your bags will be checked through to your destination and you will not see them again until you collect them at your destination. When you land at JFK you just go to the gate for your departure flight. I think if you remain airside you will not be required to go through security again.

Hope I have remembered it correctly.
    That is exactly what happens. As long as you don't dawdle and stop to look at things at Atlanta Airport, you should have enough time with 90 minutes. Don't stress about it, you should be fine.

Thanks everyone. I feel a lot happier knowing exactly what we have to do.

Sue
    Gerry and Sue

The train system at Atlanta, don't rely on the announcements, as we couldn't tell "next terminal is A", from B,C,D or E... They all sounded the same [msntongue] Really poor pronunciation to my ears
    Wilf & Sarah

If you buy duty free liquids in the UK you will have to pack it into your main baggage in Atlanta, we have been caught out like that before.
    Big plus is no need to clear immigration in Orlando.
    return journey your bags will be checked straight through to UK.

Liz

Have Virgin started offering indirect flights now?
    Tonish

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonish View Post
    Have Virgin started offering indirect flights now?
    They're Delta codeshare flights sold by Virgin who have been doing that for a long time now. You can buy them through both Virgin and Delta's websites along with the usual sites such as Expedia etc.

Quite useful to save some money if you want to have a non-stop in 1 direction but happy to have a connecting flight the other way.