Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Virgin Atlantic for August 2016

Florida Expert

Virgin Atlantic for August 2016

We are looking at going the last 2 1/2 weeks of August 2016, one teen (16) and 2 adults. This is the first time going without our two older children so we thought we might go PE using miles and money. Firstly your thoughts on is it worth the extra? Looking at this August prices it would be about £800 return for the three of us flying in and out of Miami which we found last time to be a much better flight. Also should we book in September when the flights are released or wait a while? Thanks

Gold 5 Star Member
    If you can get the dates you want at that price (I'm assuming £800 each? then I would say book them now, the reward flight and mile + money options go quite quickly especially for school holidays. You would be looking at that price for economy at least any time during the school holidays. We fly PE now as the legroom in economy just doesnt work for hubby with bad back and knees and as he has to drive the other end it is better to pay more and be comfortable we have found.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Expert
    I was doing it quickly and realised I haven't made myself at all clear, apologies. The flights when we were looking at this August prices this year were £800 extra for the premium economy for all 3 of us both ways miles and money. Is it worth the extra apart from legroom (we are not particularly tall)

Well, food is also a bit better, pre-take off drink and after meal liqueur. I also think you still get two cases each instead of one. but you can check that on the web site. It all depends on how much you think these things are worth to you. If you just want the leg room it would be much cheaper to go economy and pay the extra for an extra legroom seat I think that is about £50 each. An other option that Virgin offer is an extra seat, my son and DIL usually do this for around £60 - that gives you three seats for two of you etc and you can spread out a bit.

Sue
    Sue
    Gerry and Sue

Gold 5 Star Member
    I was going to mention yes, you do get two cases each luggage allowance. Also check in is usally quicker with Pe than economy. Another thing is that you can choose your seats free of charge when you book your flights. When we came back in May economy was virtually empty and they did say that people could move to other seats (except the exit or beige ones for which people had paid extra which I hadnt heard them say before.
    Paying for an extra seat is an opition if the flight isnt full but I suspect in August may not be possible and I beleive the cost varies depending on how full the flight is. They arent going to let you have an extra seat for £60 when they can sell it to a passenger paying £700 etc at peak times.
    At the end of the day it is all down to preference, you dont get there any quicker (your luggage might get to the carousel a bit quicker) but there are some advantages (especially if you dont go in the bubble then you usually get off the plane and into the immigration hall quicker, so it's a case of weighing up the factors and judging if it is worth it. In our case like yourself when your children start either not going or paying for themselves then we are probably paying the same for 2 seats as we were for 3 but it is much better for my husband in particular but also for me to be more comfortable.
    Babblin Boo

We have travelled PE quite a few times and it is definitely better, so when we can upgrade with miles or get a good deal we do. However due to commitments at home we can not go away for more than 3 weeks at a time and it is three trips in economy or two in PE a year so economy usually wins.

Sue
    Last edited by Gerry Reed; 24-06-2015 at 17:10.
    Gerry and Sue

We stopped going PE as we never felt it worth the extra miles and money. We usually go 3/4 times at least and almost every time we were able to move into empty seats in economy. Having said that, we did not travel in August.