Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Villas in California?

Florida Newbie

Villas in California?

Hi,

My family and I are huge fans of Disney and usually go on holiday to Florida but next year we are thinking about something different and looking into going to Disney in California instead.

We are used to renting a villa in Florida and having our own pool so would like to do the same in California if we can. Does anyone know any sites to look on for villas in this area? We would ideally like a villa in the Anaheim area or within about half hour so that we are able to have a rest in the afternoons then go back.

There are will only be four of us including two young children so don't want to spend loads on a huge villa but we are happy to pay more than you would for a hotel as we love having our own pool.

Also if anyone knows which airport is cheaper to fly into please let us know.

Thanks.

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    I you put in a search in google for villas in California it comes up with a few sites.
    Lyn

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    We've rented villas in LA 3 times now. All have been just north of LA in the San Fernando Valley. Be prepared to pay 2-3 times what you would for a similar home in the Orlando area (shows what ridiculously good value Florida villas are to rent).

I don't think you will find many, if any, in the Anaheim area as it's very built up and to be totally honest not the kind of place you'd really want to stay if it was not on Disney property or very close to it.

That's why we opted to dstay north of LA as it's a bit more spread out while still having pretty good access to most places we wanted to go. Disney was a bit further away though (perhaps an hour or so, with the horrible LA traffic). Universal Studios was really close though and well worth a visit as it is much more of an actual filming location than the one in Florida. A lot of the rides are similar between the two locations too. If you do go to the LA Disneyland, the Indiana Jones ride is our favourite and is not a ride they have in Florida.

We flew into LAX most times, but sometimes it was part of a road trip and so we flew into SFO or LAS. Flights are generally from Heathrow and not too bad value as there are lots of carriers to choose from. You could also look flying indirect via somewhere like Chicago as that is likely to save money.

I can't put links to other sites on here as it would be against the forum rules, but I'd imagine a Google search for Los Angeles villas or similar would come up with some options for you.

We went to LA twice once on our own before the kids come along and then again with the children, we stayed in a Sheraton hotel in Aneheim close to Disney so can't recommend any villas but I can advise that California is not a patch on Orlando.

Florida Chatterbox
    We spent 5 weeks touring California last summer and had an amazing time. If I am honest though, I am not sure that I would chose to go there for disney. If disney was my main event on a holiday then I would chose Orlando every time, it is cheaper, more varied and just better set up for that sort of holiday.

If you are going to California then there is so much more to do than the parks, but again, LA was our least favourite part. It only really held our interest for a day or so (we were there for 4). The main things we did there was a couple of tours, a trip round the studio, walk along the walk for fame, trip up to the sign etc.

There are so many more amazing places I would suggest first - San fran, Big bear lake, Lake Tahoe, Nappa valley, all down the coast (they are all amazing especially Newport and San Diego). Some of the lake areas are actually cheaper to rent in the summer as they are mostly skiing resorts. At both Big Bear and Lake Tahoe (we actually stayed at lake Donner) we rented some very nice, high end log cabins (think 5 beds, four baths etc) but again, one with a swimming pool was rare as there is a huge lake to swim in and there is snow most of the year.

For me, California is all about amazing cities, great beach areas and mountains. Orlando is the place for Disney etc.

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    Totally agree with FraserLynn. If you are going to California just for the Disney theme parks, you'll be disappointed if you have been to the Florida ones, but if you are going for the great scenery, fabulous beaches and cities (San Diego is our favourite) then it's a great place to visit. There is so much to see and do for everyone.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I agree with what's been said. If it's about visiting theme parks then Orlando is the place to be in the US.

I know California well as I'm there around 6 times every year, most recently last week. It has a lot to offer and I much prefer it's cultural and scenic diversity and, for most of the year, its weather, but with younger children in tow it would be Florida. On the OP's specific question, it will be extremely hard if not impossible to find an affordable 'villa' there comparable to those available in Florida.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 11-05-2015 at 07:41.

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    I am also in agreement with the above. I love California for the cities and the scenery. Disney is disappointing compared to Florida. We took our children on touring holidays and they really enjoyed them, but I know not al children would. Depending on the ages of the children I would stick with Florida until they are old enough to enjoy a road trip.
    Lyn

I agree with all of the above, have been to California many times and rented some amazing homes there, it's a fabulous place to visit but Orlando is the theme park capital of the world so if it's theme parks you're after stick wth Orlando, if, however you want some new and varied experiences then come back here for advise on places to visit.......the list will be long. As John has already said be prepared to pay more for renting a home and in general everything is more expensive........even your regular Denny's breakfast will cost you a few dollars more per person.

Liz