Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Travel insurance Question

Florida Chatterbox

Travel insurance Question

just thought I would give a bit of an update. Monday morning Able2travel phoned to say they had looked at things and were prepared to offer full travel cover including pre existing conditions but excluding the two that she was waiting on. all for a total of £327 for 23 days cover.

Great I thought and eagerly awaited the email confirmation of the offer. When It came through I went over the statement to be sure. Then I noticed the question regarding has the blood pressure medicine been changed in the last 6 months which stated no whereas it was changed 5 months ago due to the Dr thinking it might be the cause of her dry cough. I phoned them back to correct the situation at which point they changed it and then changed their minds and declined cover.

later that day the wife had a prescription review with the dr so I explained the situation to him. At this point he said but your wife has no history of high blood pressure and the medicine in question was not prescribed to my wife for control of blood pressure even though it is one of the meds that would be given to a person with high bp. He said it was common practice to give it to heart attack patients as it helps the heart recover and in view of the fact it was almost 12 months since her stent was fitted he was now taking her off it.

I thought great stuff I can phone the insurer up and explain the situation. Now with no high bp declared at all and bearing in mind they had already offered cover when they thought she had controlled high bp I thought we were certain to get cover.

Not so, it took ages to get them to look at it again and in the end agreed to put it forward to their medical team again but said I would have to wait for the process to be done again.

So 2 days later I am still waiting, the longer I wait the more I think it will be bad news but despite phoning them again they just say they are waiting for a decision to come back. However despite all the messing around I would still say they were the only company to consider my wife's situation as an individual and were prepared to look at the situation.

If this one falls through then the only company left I know of that seems to deal with this kind of thing is Global so will try them later in the week.
    Last edited by vickk; 28-01-2015 at 22:11.

Florida Chatterbox

Well, they phoned this morning to confirm cover is declined due to her medication change. I said but the medication change is to take her off the tablet and they said yes because it means the condition is not stable. I pointed out the Dr has confirmed she does not and never had the condition (hi bp) and they said yes but in the first instance you indicated she had so this counts as another change in circumstances. Oh well back to square one.

What a nightmare for you, hope you manage to get something sorted.

Liz

Gold 5 Star Member
    Thanks for the updatss though Vikki as it does help other people when trying to sort something to see peoples recent experience and perhaps learn the right questions to ask when looking for cover. I'm surprised the company wouldnt accept a letter from the doctor to state the reason for her being on the medication (obviously only one use for it being to control high blood pressure) and a letter that you misunderstood when filling in the form and ticked yes to the blood pressure medication thinking that was the right thing to do.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Chatterbox

Just thought I would give a final update on this. I found a link on the heart foundation website to a biba website and from there found an insurance brokers called Ridge Insurance in Glossop (they have a website)

I emailed them with my problem and made contact with Julie who took all the details and said she was confident they could help. From there on she did all the searching and after a few days and a couple of no's she eventually came up with a suitable policy that would cover my wifes heart condition, her mild asthma, underactive thyroid , cholesterol and fibromyalgia, even though she had 2 separate referrals to hospital for non related things.

not cheap at £430 but that is for 23 days in florida and such a relief as it was looking like no one would cover her.

sods law but since getting the cover 3 of the 4 test appointments have come through for before we go and the 4th looks like being before, however the follow up consultation will probably be after we come back so I dont think it would have helped the insurance situation.

Glad you have finally sorted things out and like you say, not cheap but worth it for piece of mind.
    Glossop is just 2 or 3 miles from my birthplace and where I lived for the first 30 years of my life.

have a great holiday!

Liz

Florida Chatterbox

Thank you

Florida Chatterbox

Well I thought my last post would be my final one on the subject. That was until her gp told us on Friday evening she was borderline type 2 diabetic. he said that most gp practice would define her as pre diabetic but ours prefers to list as diabetic from the off to get the individual into the care and test system sooner

The upshot and reason for this post is that contrary to my bad expectation the insurance company have included the condition fully at no extra charge

I would fully recommend that anyone having trouble getting cover should contact Julie Higingbottom at Ridge Insurance in Glossop.

How refreshing to hear a good news story about an insurance company [msnsmile2]
    Caroline & Dave

That's brilliant, well done on your research and I reckon your post here will help many people, which is exactly what the forum is all about.

Enjoy your trip and fingers crossed the insurance won't be used!
    Last edited by Dads_Taxi; 01-04-2015 at 21:04.
    Dave.