Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Tampa Security

Gold 5 Star Member

Tampa Security

We flew home on Saturday from Tampa and security was a breeze.

Being organised for once I had my little baggie of liquids out and at the ready but was told no put them away, keep electronics in your hand baggage and keep your shoes on.
    What?????? This cannot be I thought.

It was was wonderful and we were through so quickly as was everyone else.

It maybe a trial, I am not sure, but lets hope this is the way forward and gone are the long queues of waiting at the security points.

I did hear the person say who was looking at the bags as they went through, I am following the new protocol.

On a side note I felt sure one of our bags would be hand searched due to the odd things in it, i.e shapes etc but no it wasn't, so pleased as re-packing it, would have been a nightmare.

We flew into Tampa last Thursday. Having been amongst the last off of the plane we were not looking forward to an hour of shuffling along in the queue for Passport Control. As we entered the hall a very nice member of staff welcomed us to Florida then asked if we had British passports and an ESTA. She then directed us to some machines on the far wall which we had seen being installed on our last visit. The machine scanned passports, took finger prints and photo and produced a till type receipt with a photo on it. Ours both came up as not accepted which may have been because we had a brand new passport and new ESTA. We were directed to a short queue of 4 people then an immigration officer repeated the procedure. Why I don't know but I was not about to argue. As we walked through our luggage had arrived so we were off 10 minutes after walking into the hall. We had been watching a man who had been walking off the plane in front of us and as we left he was still 4 rows back from the start of the queue. It certainly made for a smoother and less exhausting entry into Florida.
    Maureen Green

Florida Newbie
    This all sounds very promising. Having spent 35 minutes held on board and over an hour in immigration in 2012 with Virgin into MCO and then a 40 minute wait for car hire, this time I've booked us on BA into Tampa. I just hope I've made the right decision. If m calculations re right we will be in the villa in Davenport in under two hours,as opposed to nearly 3 hours from "touchdown" to "key in door".
    The only other concern is having never flown BA before, its always been Virgin, the are as good for seatback entertainment.

Orlando also have the passport machines (they are on the right of the hall) - you need to have used you esta on at least one previous occasion and they are not suitable for anyone (or children) who can not read the instructions /operate them with out help as staff are not allowed to help you.
    Last time we left from Orlando we also were told to put everything back in our bags, I kept saying but I have liquids, but I have a laptop, but.... and he just said 'don't argue with me, put them away" so I did !
    Gerry and Sue

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Reed View Post
    Orlando also have the passport machines (they are on the right of the hall) - you need to have used you esta on at least one previous occasion and they are not suitable for anyone (or children) who can not read the instructions /operate them with out help as staff are not allowed to help you.
    Last time we left from Orlando we also were told to put everything back in our bags, I kept saying but I have liquids, but I have a laptop, but.... and he just said 'don't argue with me, put them away" so I did !
    W've had that at Orlando for the last couple of trips they "preselected us" from the queue to go through the Fasttrack which meant none of the usual things needed to be done. It seemed a bit random how they were telling people to go one way, it wasnt every 3rd person for example.
    Babblin Boo

We used to love coming into Tampa when we lived at Clearwater. It was so easy and nowhere near as aggresive as MCO.

We had the fast track leaving Orlando three weeks ago, left everything in bags, shoes on etc. there was a sniffer dog walking up and down the lines constantly and I wondered if this made the difference.

Liz

They are very much on a par with Virgin re seat back entertainment and the last couple of occasions the food on BA has been superior to that of Virgin, not that plane food is anything to write home about We always choose whoever is cheaper.
    if you are lucky you will make good time although sometimes traffic getting to I4 can be heavy and leave plenty of time for return journey as again we have ended up queuing to get from I4.

Liz

Florida Newbie
    Thanks Liz. That's set my mind at ease. We are thinking about spending the day at Busch Gardens then making a short "hop" to the airport.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo Green View Post
    We flew into Tampa last Thursday. Having been amongst the last off of the plane we were not looking forward to an hour of shuffling along in the queue for Passport Control. As we entered the hall a very nice member of staff welcomed us to Florida then asked if we had British passports and an ESTA. She then directed us to some machines on the far wall which we had seen being installed on our last visit. The machine scanned passports, took finger prints and photo and produced a till type receipt with a photo on it. Ours both came up as not accepted which may have been because we had a brand new passport and new ESTA. We were directed to a short queue of 4 people then an immigration officer repeated the procedure. Why I don't know but I was not about to argue. As we walked through our luggage had arrived so we were off 10 minutes after walking into the hall. We had been watching a man who had been walking off the plane in front of us and as we left he was still 4 rows back from the start of the queue. It certainly made for a smoother and less exhausting entry into Florida.
    e recently used these machines in Miami and all 4 of us were told our fingerprints had not been read and received a big X and directed to an immigration who asked all the usual question and took fingerprints - no time saving at all for us.