Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Fort Meyers worth visiting

Florida Newbie

Is Fort Meyers worth visiting

Driving up from Key West and want to stay somewhere different for a couple of nights on the way to Orlando. Have tried Naples in the past and thought about FM.
    Is there much to see and do there ??

Florida Junior
    Fort Myers is a large, sprawling area - Fort Myers Beach is some 20+ miles from downtown Fort Myers.

Yes, I would say Fort Myers is worth a couple of nights. First Street has been renovated and is full of bars and restaurants, there is a nice area along the Caloosahatchee River.

Main attraction of Fort Myers apart from its name of City of Palms is the Edison/Ford winter home - http://www.edisonfordwinterestates.org/

Florida Chatterbox

Is Fort Meyers worth visiting

spent 3 nights a fort myers beach this year. stayed at the best western plus resort on the beach. can not recommend the hotel high enough and the beach area is good. didn't see a great deal of fort myers itself so would be unfair to make a generalisation based on what I did see and stories I was told. have you considered marco island. Did you like Naples
    Last edited by vickk; 14-10-2014 at 17:40.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Depending on the time of year you are planning to travel, Sanibel Island or Captiva spring to mind along with Sarasota.

Gold 5 Star Member
    By coincidence, I'm actually posting this from a coffee shop in Fort Myers!

I love Sanibel and Captiva and reckon the total holiday weeks I've spent there add up to over 2 years of my life so you can guess I like it. Fort Myers Beach is bit more touristy but has a great stretch of Gulf Beach and is much better value that Sanibel/Captiva.

I'm not so much a fan of Fort Myers itself though. I find it quite an ugly place on the whole and the crime rate is high even by US standards. The lead story on the local news today is the drive-by shooting of a 5 year old boy at his home. Tragically, he has now died.

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Katys Grandad View Post
    By coincidence, I'm actually posting this from a coffee shop in Fort Myers!

I love Sanibel and Captiva and reckon the total holiday weeks I've spent there add up to over 2 years of my life so you can guess I like it. Fort Myers Beach is bit more touristy but has a great stretch of Gulf Beach and is much better value that Sanibel/Captiva.

I'm not so much a fan of Fort Myers itself though. I find it quite an ugly place on the whole and the crime rate is high even by US standards. The lead story on the local news today is the drive-by shooting of a 5 year old boy at his home. Tragically, he has now died.
    We noticed while we were there and the 2 weeks in marco there was always a mention on the nightly news about some crime in fort myers every night.

Florida Junior
    Yes, Fort Myers has crime - largely in an area called Le High Acres, a sprawling community some miles inland from downtown Fort Myers the otherside of the 75.

Each to their own, have never been impressed with Sanibel or Captiva !

Florida Chatterbox
    Le High Acres. Yep that's the name that kept coming up on the news. As I say I found the beach area a great place for a few days and in a place called the Yukatan Bar I had the best rib eye since I was in mannys

Florida Newbie
    Thanks for all the replies. Vickk,yes we did enjoy Naples,found it a bit quiet though and expensive..

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haras View Post
    ...we did enjoy Naples,found it a bit quiet though and expensive..
    I suspect that Sanibel/Captiva probably isn't going to be for you then.