Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a rant!

Just a rant!

My son, his wife and three children have been on holiday in Orlando, flying home last Monday the 1st. On the Sunday after returning from one of the parks they found they had been burgled. The thieves managed to get into the safe and stole all the passports. They were lucky enough to fly home on copy documents they had, although they had problems at Gatwick.

Great you think, now the downside. It is my other sons wedding on Saturday in Prague and his brother was to be best-man and his children two bridesmaids and page boy.

The passport office has refused point blank to issue new passports under the Premium 1 day scheme saying this does not apply to lost or stolen passports and he can only use the 1 week scheme. Explaining that means he will miss brothers wedding they basically said "tough". Surely the could give a little leeway in exceptional circumstance, it wasn't there fault.

Rant over
    Keith
    Keith

Florida Expert
    Are they not allowed to travel using the copies and a copy of a police report?

So much for "open borders"!!

Whereabouts were they staying when they were burgled?

Quote Originally Posted by ujpest doza View Post
    Are they not allowed to travel using the copies and a copy of a police report?
    That is what they used to come home. He asked if he could do this and the passport office said don't waste your time trying. The open border agreement is the Shengen Area and we do not belong to it, neither does the Czech Republic I believe. I've told him to jump on lorry going to Calais, it seems to work the other way.

He was staying at Sunset Lakes in a gated community. As we have discussed on here they are no safer than ungated as so many service providers have the code. He said the police were marvellous and couldn't have been more helpful and said they an idea who may be responsible.

He had an email last night from the police to say they had apprehended the culprits who were responsible for more than 30 robberies not all at Sunset Lakes. They are emailing him photos of all the property recovered so he can identify his, but alas no passports.

They have even asked him if he is willing to go over for the prosecution to identify his property at their cost. I said he couldn't as he hasn't got a passport.
    Keith

I read all about it on FB and it was a nightmare. He then had one of his suitcases missing on arrival in London!! Now not to be able to attend his brother's wedding must be the last straw. They say things come in 3's.

I feel so sad for your whole family as you should all be able to attend such a joyous occasion. How about a phone call to his local MP?

Quote Originally Posted by SDJ View Post
    How about a phone call to his local MP?
    I just don't think we have the time. We have all decided to call it a day as we mustn't let it over overshadow the actual wedding. The bride and grandchildren are so distraught as it is.

I was thinking of him doing a video link on the day with the grandchildren in all their wedding refinery, but could that make things worse.
    Keith

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    I'm trying to be creative here -What about a "blessing" in a local UK church a couple of weeks/months down the line followed by a bit of a family party-that way your best man can still contribute as can the little ones

Quote Originally Posted by Albert the Frog View Post
    I'm trying to be creative here -What about a "blessing" in a local UK church a couple of weeks/months down the line followed by a bit of a family party-that way your best man can still contribute as can the little ones
    We have thought about that. It is a good idea.

Thank you for your input

Keith
    Keith

It doesn't help you now but it is well worth having 2 passports. I have 3 which I think is maximum.

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    We were burgled once - when staying in an apartment on a hotel complex. According to the sheriff the most unsafe place to leave anything is in a SAFE. Hubbies camera was untouched as it was not in the safe and luckily we had our passports with us that day. Needless to say we dont have a safe in our villa
    Christine

Quote Originally Posted by syrup View Post
    My son, his wife and three children have been on holiday in Orlando, flying home last Monday the 1st. On the Sunday after returning from one of the parks they found they had been burgled. The thieves managed to get into the safe and stole all the passports. They were lucky enough to fly home on copy documents they had, although they had problems at Gatwick.

Great you think, now the downside. It is my other sons wedding on Saturday in Prague and his brother was to be best-man and his children two bridesmaids and page boy.

The passport office has refused point blank to issue new passports under the Premium 1 day scheme saying this does not apply to lost or stolen passports and he can only use the 1 week scheme. Explaining that means he will miss brothers wedding they basically said "tough". Surely the could give a little leeway in exceptional circumstance, it wasn't there fault.

Rant over
    Keith
    This is probably stupid of me but I went to Prague and London (separate occasions of course) with my ID card only, as a French Citizen. Wouldn't it work for a British Citizen to reach the Schengen area with a simple ID?