Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter in Florida

Winter in Florida

We are all familiar with the "usual" Florida things to do but what can you do in the Winter that makes it a special time to visit? I'm thinking wildlife, places to visit apart from the Parks etc. I know Christmas is special but what about the other parts of Winter/Spring in Florida?

Florida Chatterbox
    I have just come back from florida and was wondering the exact same thing

We are going over late Feb so looking to do this you don't/can't do in the warmer times

Gold 5 Star Member
    To me the winter time in Florida is ideal for walking, especially the State Parks.

We love Myakka as it is close to us and has the tree top walkway, not something I would attempt in the hot summer months.
    Kayaking is another past time but even though on the water it can be really hard work & for me November through late March are the best months for this.
    May last year was almost too hot, guess age may have something to do with it.

The Marie Selby Gardens are beautiful in the winter/spring and can be followed by a leisurely lunch on Armand Circle.

And the winter is also the best time to eat outside anywhere in Florida in my humble opinion.

As the high season will be in full swing on the gulf coast, there will be lots of art shows, theatre shows and musical events most of which will be held outside, well barring the theatre shows.

The weather is the big draw for us in the winter, we find it much more pleasant having the glorious heat and sunshine but without the higher humidity and afternoon storms. As Lynne says, it makes it perfect for walking around and eating outside.

It's also manatee season November to March and the best time to see these creatures in the wild.
    Sarah

Lake Louisa State Park is beautiful in winter, great to do loads of walking around that is just far too hot to do in the warmer months.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by autumnc View Post
    The weather is the big draw for us in the winter, we find it much more pleasant having the glorious heat and sunshine but without the higher humidity and afternoon storms. As Lynne says, it makes it perfect for walking around and eating outside.

It's also manatee season November to March and the best time to see these creatures in the wild.
    Sarah, where are good places to visit to see the manatees in the wild

Blue Springs State Park is a great place to see them and one of the main refuges for them in the winter months. There are also several locations around the Crystal River area that offer tours and excursions and that's the only location where you can legally swim with the manatees. There's a manatee observation area at Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge over in Titusville and you also have the Lee County Manatee Park at Fort Myers.

In the summer months they tend to stay around the south east coast, but they head towards to warmer waters of the natural springs in the winter months where they are much easier to spot.
    Sarah

Florida Chatterbox mary and colin's Avatar
    Colin has been waiting for ages to try and swim with the manatees, he is waiting for our daughter to join us on one of our trips over as it is at the top of her list of must do's.
    I would be happy to sit and watch them such lovely creatures.

Mary

I'd love to see them, in their natural habitat...swimming with them would be just amazing.

Thanks for the details Sarah...now added to our "to do" list.