Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SW Florida....any suggestions

SW Florida....any suggestions

We are staying on Pine Island, with some friends, in new year so looking for tips, places to see - anything which will help us get the most from our first visit to this part of Florida.
    We will have a car and don't mind driving so any suggestions ?

Gold 5 Star Member
    I will start some ideas with this as you will not be far from Charlotte County and the Cape Haze peninsular.

Charlotte County is home to two freshwater rivers, the Myakka River and Peace River both of which flow into Charlotte Harbour and Lemon Bay and on into the ocean.

Charlotte Harbour’s bay is located at the bottom of the Cape Haze peninsular and is second in size to Tampa Bay. It is an important ecological bay that is off the beaten track of the well known Florida and hides an area that is often referred to as “Old World Florida”. A good way to experience this waterway is by kayaking, for the less brave, larger boats are available to hire, or take a guided cruise.
    Paddle boarding is readily available in Placida but I do prefer kayaking, not sure my balance is good enough to stand on water.

One of the oldest communities on Charlotte Harbour bay is Punta Gorda which started life in the 1800’s. It was here the wealthy built summer homes to escape the sultry heat of the north. These mansions line the waterfront by Gilchrist Park which now is a gathering point for the locals & also hosts musical evenings mainly on Sunday afternoons.

Downtown Punta Gorda has been renovated after hurricane Charlie and now has an interesting mix of shops, galleries and cafes. Towards the end of the Gilchrist Park is Fisherman’s Village where harbour cruises and fishing charters leave from. The afternoon cruise is an opportunity to see the bay and its surrounding communities, coupled with a commentary by the Captain on the history of the area. If there are children on board the Captain will try to find some schools of Dolphins to follow and be followed by, always a treat. Afterwards take time to stroll through the now restored buildings, home to an eclectic mix of shops; stop for lunch and watch the sun glistening on the water, or stay for dinner and watch the sunset over the harbour. Nothing beats a bucket of beers and appetisers on a hot afternoon.

Across the bay is Port Charlotte which is a modern city, maybe a town would be a better description.

Here you will find a small beach, recreation facilities, a fishing pier and swimming pools. Port Charlotte is also home to one of the largest malls in south west Florida, found on the corner of US41 and State Rd 776. It has a thriving business district and is the busiest of the small towns bordering this bay.

Heading further north from Port Charlotte, the visitor traverses small communities and an abundance of golf courses until they reach Englewood, another delightful old world Floridian town, nestling beside Lemon Bay.

Dearborn Street is in the heart of the Historical district of Englewood and is lined with art galleries, gift shops, coffee parlours and restaurants. Check local papers for dates and times of events held here on a regular basis. The summer months are very quiet as once the Snowbirds, as they are affectionately known, have returned home to the colder north Englewood once again returns to the slower pace of life of old world Florida.

Lynne - that;s what I was hoping for...Old world Florida. Sounds perfect ...thanks for that. Now I really am looking forward to this trip.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I would also head to Gasaprilla Island and the beautiful beaches of this wealthy pristine island.
    There is a toll, currently $6.00 but worth every penny.

Our favourite beach is south Beach quite close to the lighthouse, another little hidden gem of this stretch of coastline.
    We like to arrive early and often are the first ones so have the beach to ourselves, we then usually have a late lunch at South Beach Bar & Grill, a flip flop, type of place.
    If we go later in the day then we take in the beautiful sunsets whilst sipping a cold wine or beer and an early supper.

The small town Boca Grande has upscale shops and a good choice of dining. In the new year the season will be in full swing so reservations would be advisable.
    The Inn is where it all happens and is not flip flops, the whole Bush family stay here at Christmas, Jackets & Ties are order of the day.

You need to get out onto the water in my humble opinion either by renting your own boat or go on a charter. It gives such a different perspective and the waters are teeming with marine life including plenty of Dolphins, so amazing to see them in the wild.

If golf is your cup of tea then you will be spoilt for choice, there are so many excellent courses to choose from.

Fishing is plentiful and the local fresh seafood and catch of the day is fantastic.

You will I think become addicted to hunting for shark's teeth, they are easy to find on some days and very hard on others, I guess it depends on how the tide comes in.

The Edison Ford estate is in North Fort Myers and is well worth the excursion.

I hope this gives you a few ideas it is a beautiful part of Florida.

Florida Savvy
    I love Englewood, and Lemon bay is great- you can collect fossilised sharks teeth from off the beaches along there!

Thanks for the suggestions so far...really shaping up for a great holiday. We are going over foe almost a month so plenty of days to fill

Any suggestions for viewing the wonderful sunsets ?

Gold 5 Star Member
    Any of the beaches along this stretch of coastline, will offer a great sunset, watch for the green flash, not many see it, me included.

I always love seeing the sun go down from South Beach Bar & Grill, photo attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Goodnightsun.jpg  

The photo is gorgeous..thanks

Gold 5 Star Member
    Thank you

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by carolmc View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions so far...really shaping up for a great holiday. We are going over foe almost a month so plenty of days to fill

Any suggestions for viewing the wonderful sunsets ?
    Hi Carol - we are going to the coast next week and hoping to visit: Englewood, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda and then onto Fort Myers to take the Keywest Express catamaran - we usually go further down coast to Cape Coral and rent a home but it will be hotels this part of the trip as we are keen to explore some different areas - what was your trip like? Any recommendations? it is just myself and husband - no teens in tow this trip..