Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orlando Gun Range

Orlando Gun Range

As an interesting alternative to the usual attractions, Mrs Macka and I went to the Oakridge Gun club near to Orlando Airport for a few hours.
    I appreciate that this, when coupled with my Avatar makes me look like a gun toting maniac, however nothing could be further from the truth. I must change that Avatar.

You only need to show ID to prove your age and you can shoot pretty much anything in the indoor range. For about $120 we both shot .22, 9mm and .357 magnum handguns and had a little training as neither of us had fired a pistol before. Mrs Macka wiped the floor with me so I won't be picking any fights with her in future.

You can also shoot rifles if that's your bag (including assault rifles).

We used around 100 rounds or so, and obviously, the larger the calibre the less you get in a box and the more expensive it is.

Great - do you need to pre-book, or do you just show up?? Just adding this to our "to do list" for Sept

Just show up Carol. if you PM me with your mail adress, I'll mail you the "price list". It's scanned so not great quality, but you can see the costs.

Cheers - just sent PM now

Florida Chatterbox DisneyFunVilla's Avatar
    I'm not a gun guy either, but have been to a shooting range twice. It was great fun. The best was shooting my Grandpa's police service revolver, just because of the family connection. He was a Highway Patrolman in South Carolina in the 60's and early 70's.
    Mike

I've never shot a real gun before. Sounds interesting.

Although I think it's a little scary that you can shoot anything in the range - might take a family member I'm cheesed off with!

Thanks for the tip... you gun toting maniac.
    Tony G

It's a lot of fun. My sons love it and we've been quite a few times now. I can't really be bothered any more but they clamour to go every time.

For those of you a bit nervous, it's not like you imagine. Firstly, I was concerned that everyone there would be a loudmouth, beer swilling redneck. Not so. Lots of ex military, police and families on holiday just like us. It's all very professionally done and surprisingly relaxed and easy.

It's certainly an experience you will never get at home and worth a go. That Dirty Harry gun makes one heck of a bang. One word of warning. It's tempting to bring back some used shell casings as souvenirs. This is fine but in some States possession of these without a gun licence is illegal and there have been many reports of unwitting tourists arrested. So if you are flying back to the UK indirectly, check carefully what the rules say for the state you are changing planes in. They will be picked up on x ray or search.
    Tonish

What I would say, is that you should treat them with respect, always. Don't allow anyones mind to wander particularly if there are a few of you. My wife turned to me to say something half way through a clip and She accidentally discharged it. She didn't turn the pistol away from the target so it wasn't a problem but it did show that accidents can happen if you don't concentrate 100 % so always point the pointy end to the front, and when you're not shooting put your finger down the side of the trigger guard and not on the trigger.
    Unless as you say you have an unpopular family member with you, in which case it's a great case for the defence.

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar
    Although not for everyone I can see the attraction for some but it would be too much of a Busmans Holiday for me, mind you I hated going on the ranges but have fired some pretty scary things in the past. I was a "postergirl" back in the late 80s for one campaign they did encouraging women into uniform and they had us firing all sorts of weapons looking "pretty"!
    Last edited by Cruella DeVilla; 15-07-2014 at 19:19.
    CDV

A hot Shot Cruella?