Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aldi

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar
    Publix is a quality store and we still do a bit of shopping there, but it is way more expensive for the same items you buy elsewhere, twice the price in some cases. One example - my cereal in WM is something like $2.39, it is $4.50 something in Publix, we tend to bulk buy our cereal as we go through a lot so paying over $2 more each per packet when buying 10 packets doesn't make sense.

Whilst this is not as important if just visiting it means a lot to locals.

The Aldi at HC is OK, they have the usual mix of stuff but I find ALDI whether it was UK/Germany/USA that the fresh produce like veg goes off really quickly.

My folks have one quite near their their house and use it a lot now and the big supermarkets are suffering in general since it opened. I stuck my head in last time I was home and it looked fine with lots of brand name items which surprised me.

Just need a Marks and Spencers food hall to open here so I don't need to trek to Wholefoods!!!
    Last edited by Cruella DeVilla; 09-07-2014 at 19:36.
    CDV

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella DeVilla View Post

Just need a Marks and Spencers food hall to open here so I don't need to trek to Wholefoods!!!
    Oooh yes please!
    Caroline & Dave

Now there's a business plan ! All those Brits in villas wanting some ready made, "UK style" food.

Sue
    Gerry and Sue

Try The Proper Pie Shop on the 27 - just below Posner Park. Great pies, Cornish pasties and proper bacon. Did not think much of their fish and chips though - nothing like Yorkshire f&c and the chips were frozen not fresh!! Run by a couple from the UK and they bake on the premises. Lots of British groceries too - would never bother normally but two months into our recent three month stay we were desperate for a proper bacon buttie! It was delicious!

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar
    Not personally a fan of the baked goods in PPC, tried them all and not found anything I would say is delicious, so gone back to making my own.

We also had their fish and chips once too and that was not good at all. We do pick up the odd can of Lilt or other British things which are harder to come by and don't mind paying the extra when the mood takes.

You can get Danish bacon in Walgreens in the frozen section.
    CDV

We usually go to PPC for the bacon and the sausages. Not cheap, but two month without decent bacon and sausages is just too much.

Andrena

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by E. Cosgrove View Post
    About 12 months ago I finally overcame my supermarket snobbery and started to shop regularly at Aldi ( eat your heart out Katie Hopkins![]) and have cut my shopping bill by a about a third, I now only go to one of the big 3 for specific items I can't buy at Aldi.

i have just returned from my weekly shop and they have a big 4th July promotion on with lots of US themed items which prompted me to ask the question; has anybody shopped at Aldi in Kissimmee and if so what are your thoughts on prices and what's available?

We only noticed it was there the day before we came home on our last trip but wondered if it was worth a visit?
    Found it similar to UK Aldi's, general items and specials each week. Refreshing to use after Walmart, the queues to pay in the one opposite are too much especially if you've just arrived from UK.

They load your shopping into another trolley at checkout which can be confusing at first, you exchange your trolley with the one they use for packing. Easier than UK where they put items through so quickly.

We used it regularly and only went into the bigger stores for selective items. We're there for 4 weeks so don't need catering packs of items. Also find Dollartree very good for food items, we also cook in villa rather than eating out.

Quote Originally Posted by bargainqueen View Post

They load your shopping into another trolley at checkout which can be confusing at first, you exchange your trolley with the one they use for packing. Easier than UK where they put items through so quickly.
    That's an old Kwik Save technique[]

Liz