Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to go to Florida?

Florida Newbie

When to go to Florida?

Hi - we a looking at going to Florida in 2016 - (I know a long way away but need to save for this epic holiday). Looking at going for Christmas, can anyone tell me what the weather would be like during December? Also are all the parks, attractions open during the festive period? Many thanks

Florida Newbie
    We went at Christmas a couple of years back - temperatures were around the high teens for most of the fortnight, so comfortable but certainly far from the sun and heat florida is mostly associated with.

We found that everything was open even on christmas day - all the restaurants, chains, even Wal-mart. But the locals celebrate thanksgiving more that Christmas so it seemed just another day for them.

Of course the parks make the efforts, and Sea World was particuarly good at night.

However, the malls are a nightmare between Christmas and New year with all the sales - parking is terrible as indeed are the roads around.

But it was a real novelty spending Christmas there, and we enjoyed it - But having done it once will probably now stick to other times of the year.
    Last edited by Midd; 27-06-2014 at 13:12.

You can be lucky and get a day in the low 80s over Christmas but that would be unusual. It is of course much better than the UK at that time of year and a bit like an average UK summer but the nights can be cold with the occasional frost. We had a great time in January this year and had three nights (in 14 days) that were warm enough to sit out after dark with a BBQ and most days were T-shirt and shorts days. It is not the time of year you would want to do a water park or the rides that get you wet, but it is still a great break from a UK winter.

Sue
    Gerry and Sue

Florida Chatterbox
    If you want to experience Christmas in Florida without actually being there on Christmas Day and suffering the crowds and high flight prices why not go late November/early December.

Once Thanksgiving has passed all the stores and Theme Parks are "decked out" for Christmas so you can get the Christmas Spirit without paying through the nose. We are flying out this year on Thanksgiving Day (27th November) and flying home on 12th December.

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    We are always there until around the middle of December, and has as been already said, Christmas celebrations start after Thanksgiving. Sea World do lovely Christmas celebrations that are included in the general admission price. Disney do "Mickeys very merry Christmas" which starts at 7pm on certain nights but is an extra ticket to the daytime ticket. We love being there at this time of year and then being back in the UK for 25th December. Weather wise we find it lovely during the day, the evenings can be OK or can get a little cooler, but not as cold as January.
    Lyn

Having spent last Christmas and new year in florida id say go for it, But the parks are a nightmare 2 days running Magic Kingdom was closed to new guests by 10am :-( .
    and all the other parks were rammed . Weather wise nice during the day and a few chilly nights,. But on the whole a great place to be at Christmas.

Gold 5 Star Member
    There are lots of good reasons to visit Florida at Christmas but as your question is mostly about the weather, I'll stick to that.

Firstly, you have to view the published 'average daily high' in context. It means that was the highest temperature reached but it doesn't mean that it will be at that level for any significant period of time. In fact, at that time of year it takes quite a while to warm up to even a comfortable temperature every morning. I'd say that the summer T shirt & shorts routine only applies after about 11 am and outdoor sunbathing can be chilly until midday.

Secondly, and I think the most important thing, is to remember that it is winter there and the sun goes down much earlier than in summer just like here in the UK. In December it will be dark at 5 o'clock with a resultant fall in temperature. While you can get more than 12 hours of sunshine now, you'll do well to get 8 hours of sunshine even on a nice day (and they aren't guaranteed).

The bottom line is that if the weather is very important to you then I'd take the trip between April & October instead. On the other hand, if it isn't crucial, Christmas in Florida is a nice place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Katys Grandad View Post
    There are lots of good reasons to visit Florida at Christmas but as your question is mostly about the weather, I'll stick to that.

Firstly, you have to view the published 'average daily high' in context. It means that was the highest temperature reached but it doesn't mean that it will be at that level for any significant period of time. In fact, at that time of year it takes quite a while to warm up to even a comfortable temperature every morning. I'd say that the summer T shirt & shorts routine only applies after about 11 am and outdoor sunbathing can be chilly until midday.

Secondly, and I think the most important thing, is to remember that it is winter there and the sun goes down much earlier than in summer just like here in the UK. In December it will be dark at 5 o'clock with a resultant fall in temperature. While you can get more than 12 hours of sunshine now, you'll do well to get 8 hours of sunshine even on a nice day (and they aren't guaranteed).

The bottom line is that if the weather is very important to you then I'd take the trip between April & October instead. On the other hand, if it isn't crucial, Christmas in Florida is a nice place to be.
    As someone who has been in Florida and experienced every month of the year over the past 20+ years, I would absolutely wholeheartedly agree with "Katy's Grandad" if it is the weather issue. However, I am sure you would have a fantastic time whenever you decide to go.

Have fun planning.

I agree with the last 2 posts we have been to Florida twice over Christmas and although the festive activities are very nice the weather is not that great as Katy's Grandad has said.

I would strongly recommend you try Late April/ May/ June if you can avoid the School holidays and you will get a good deal on flights etc or between May to early November.

Best of luck,

Mark.

Florida Chatterbox DisneyFunVilla's Avatar
    I love the area at Christmastime. Everything is so nicely decorated. Getting dark early isn't a problem as all the decorations are lighted and that's the best way to see them.

As for weather and crowds, fall and spring are best. Summer is always hot. Winter can go either way. I've had to wear heavy coats and I've been able to wear shorts, though not both in the same year.
    Mike