Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flights via travel agent

Florida Newbie
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I have just asked for a quote from the link on this site I'll see what they say. I shall post the quotes I do get from different places! Sharing is caring ��

My son booked a Virgin package with car hire, but didn't bother picking up the car, he booked that with uscarhire hire and it was still cheaper than just booking a flight with Virgin.

Andrena

Gold 5 Star Member
    We've found that as well. The only reason I mentioned elsewhere is that we have been told if you book flights only with a Travel agent you have to pay in full for the flights, they can only do deposit/balance if they have sold you a package such as inc car hire or accommodation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrena View Post
    My son booked a Virgin package with car hire, but didn't bother picking up the car, he booked that with uscarhire hire and it was still cheaper than just booking a flight with Virgin.

Andrena
    Babblin Boo

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    Well, I've been booking flights, car hire and villa's to Florida for the past 33 years and I can say with some certainty that:
    1. booking direct with Airlines (during a sale) is thecheapest way of getting a flight:
    2. Booking car Hire via US car Hire is the cheapest way of booking a car (and by far the best service)
    3. Booking Villa's through this site is the cheapest way of booking your accommodation (and the best service)

Simples!
    We have similar long term experience and concur, particularly with 2 & 3. On 1, we have found that travel agents have a bit of an edge when it comes to booking long in advance, as they often can offer prices in advance of availability on airline web sites, but being confined to school holiday times we can rarely if ever get any sales periods which suit. If looking to book with Virgin, Charter travel do seem to have good deals available and on a couple of occasions we have found better deals with them than via the Virgin site, presumably because they get a pre-agreed allocation at a set discount. But we have always found it cheaper to fly indirect and book with the airline. The algorithms behind flight prices now are so complex they are beyond the ability of an interested amateur to predict with any degree of accuracy or certainty. Every single angle you will have considered which may save you money has already been anticipated by the quants writing the algos and they are smarter than you and me. It's all fed into the black box and your only chance of beating it is by luck in your timing.

My best advice is to take the deal if you are comfortable with the price and don't upset yourself by re-checking it afterwards. It only leads to frustration and ulcers. or desperation and despair when you realise you have missed a deal you would have been happy with and are now forced to pay more. Another important point is to clear your cookies and history before checking prices each time. They are onto you once you have looked at certain dates and manipulate the prices when you come back for a second or third look, rarely in your favour.
    Last edited by Tonish; 16-05-2014 at 23:16. Reason: Grammar
    Tonish

Yes, good points T. I search on my computer at home, (we only ever really use BA) using the day before as my flying days, I can then see the cost of the flights the few days before and after, and when I've decided, usually during a sale, I book them on my works laptop. This year it was £25 each cheaper on the day. Not much but it's our first dinner when we arrive.

Florida Newbie
    Hey all!

update so far! I should have mentioned I am confined to the school holidays so rip off prices to be expected !
    i got a quote yesterday flying virgin, gatwick Orlando with an intermediate car for £4270. I am going to look into flying into Miami and drive down (or up!) and see if that makes a difference.
    Flythomas quoted £3700 without car so is the same as virgin really. I will keep you guys posted with my findings!
    is it better trying to upgrade at airport or do it from here?
    Thanks again

OMG !!!!
    NEVER EVER upgrade at the airport [:O] under ANY circumstances !!!
    They can & will charge you through the nose....
    +100% is not unusual...

Macka.........all I can say is brilliant advise.

Val

Florida Newbie
    Sharing my thoughts guys
    i have a serious non curable no patience syndrome! So I can't wait for 11 months before.....
    I have just been quoted for my summer dates next year with BA to Tampa with SUV insurance and satnav £4950. I think I am gonna just go with it and start saving and try not to look again.

Florida Newbie
    Omg!! I'm done flights and car booked in the end decided to go virgin, Gatwick to Orlando int. phew I feel sooo relieved. Now I must relax, chill and calm! So excited I can't wait #floridaherewecome
    Yipeeee woooooo