Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Dad’s Taxi Keeps His Fingers Crossed – Part 9

Dad’s Taxi Keeps His Fingers Crossed – Part 9

Sunday. The pool heater has been roaring away for the past couple of days, and today we’re going to enjoy it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pool day2.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	956

This really was a lazy day, and I don’t think there was much to report. Papa John’s provided lunch which we enjoyed poolside. Far too late in the afternoon the girls thought a trip to the Lake Buena Vista Factory Stores was a good idea, with the OshKosh shop being the primary objective. Unfortunately we hadn’t factored in that it is Sunday, so as we pull into the car park all the lights were going out and doors were being locked. Doh! To Kayleigh’s dismay the rest rooms were locked too. A tantrum commences so we bundle into the van, A-Team style, and zip over the road to the Race Track gas station. Now public loos don’t usually get a mention in trip reports, but when the girls get back in the van they enthuse at great length about how great these are – so Top Tip: if you want a loo, Race Track on the 535, you heard it here first! There’s a vote for dinner and Golden Corral wins tonight, although I don’t manage to get my money’s worth having eaten too much Papa John’s earlier today!

Monday has been set aside for an afternoon trip to Titusville, in the hope of us watching a rocket launch. Lift-Off for the Falcon 9 rocket is scheduled for 4.58pm, and its mission is to take supplies and equipment to the International Space Station. We’ve been monitoring the NASA updates on this launch and it all seems to hinge on the weather, so we are quite optimistic about today, as it seems quite calm with a lovely blue sky.

We have a lazy morning, then head to CiCi’s for a bargain buffet lunch. OK, it’s not gourmet food (and if you’ve been following our trip reports you will have come to the conclusion that we seldom do ‘Gourmet’!), but goodness me it’s amazing value. Seven of us had the pizza/pasta/dessert buffet and soft drinks, and with the flick of a coupon from one of the multitude of coupon books we are charged $42. Yes, 25 quid. Beat that McDonalds. I think the games machines are more expensive than lunch in this place!

Name:	CiCi_Games.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	957

Suitably nourished for our journey to the coast, we tell Steve, who you may remember is our Aussie sat-nav, to take us to Titusville, which he dutifully does. This trip will be a good test for the Alamo sun pass system, as we certainly clock up a few tolls. It’s an easy drive out to the coast, and we recall our previous trip to Titusville in 2010 to watch a shuttle launch, and the difference in traffic is phenomenal. It only takes about an hour and a bit to reach the US1 Highway which runs North-South along the East Floridian coastline at this point, and we head North looking for, of all things, a McDonalds. This target destination was not a result of insufficient consumption of CiCi’s pizza, but due to a discovery four years ago of a McDonalds’ car park which offered a fantastic view across the water to the Kennedy Space Centre. As we’re cruising up the road we are glancing to our right and every gap in the buildings reveals a promising view across the water, and then we pass a small park with, coincidentally, a McDonalds on the opposite side of the road. We pull across to McD’s and order a few McFlurries, and ask the girl on the counter if she would recommend the park as a suitable spot to watch the launch. She confirms that it’s a very popular viewing point, and tells us it’s called Nicol Park. Taking advantage of the McWiFi, I quickly look it up to read “offers picnicking at picnic shelters with grills, drinking fountain, benches, shoreline fishing, shuttle viewing, and an attractive playground for the kids.” Well, this sounds like a one-stop-shop for a family waiting for a rocket launch.

We saunter back over the highway and on my second attempt we park the van in the Nicol Park car park, having first attempted to drive down a boat launch ramp straight into Indian River! It’s about an hour before lift-off, so we try to find a sheltered spot in which to wait, but any shelter has no view across the river so we choose a bench looking straight out at the Space Centre. There’s plenty of time for the kids to play on the playground, and to take a few photos

Name:	Me_VAB.jpg 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	958

To give you some idea what we could see, I’ll zoom in over my right shoulder:

Name:	VAB.jpg 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	959

which you may recognise as the iconic Vehicle Assembly Building.

As the clock ticked around towards 5pm there were still only three or four other families looking out towards the Space Centre. I decided to wander over to the next bench to say hello to a gentleman with his daughter. When I asked him if they were waiting for the launch I was alarmed to be told that yes they were, but the countdown on his smartphone app had just jumped from twenty five minutes to seventy something hours. Uh Oh. It was a beautiful calm day, it couldn’t possibly be a problem with the weather. I text my friend back home, as I rightly guess that he is watching on NASA TV, and he quickly replies that there is a helium leak on the rocket (with a witty comment that everyone nearby will now sound like Mickey Mouse) and the launch has been scrubbed until Friday 18th. I send him a squeaky thanks in reply, pass on the news to the other two expectant families, and we glumly clamber back into the van and head back West.

Before everyone in the rear seats falls asleep we do our “where next?” vote, and decide that we’ll give the shops at Lake Buena Vista another shot. Steve knows his way and an hour later we’re back and thankfully the shops are open this time. There’s a very small playground here so Kayleigh charges in and soon makes some friends and they zoom around for ages, whilst I twiddle my thumbs on a bench and everyone else shops. Just a few doors down from the playground is a Reebok/Rockport shop, so when I’m eventually joined by the rest of the family I go solo in search of shoes. I am literally the only customer, so the service is exemplary and I try on a LOT of shoes, settling on two pairs that I like and they have in my size, and noting the name of two other styles that I like but aren’t available to fit me. There always seems to be a “buy one pair get another pair half price” offer at the Reebok shop, and tonight is no exception. The coupon booklet for the mall provides another $10 discount, so I’m quite happy with my little shopping spree.

Despite the service at Denny’s on our previous visit, we all agree that the food was yummy, so we decide to try a different Denny’s tonight, but not before Kayleigh has made use of the Race Track Gas Station rest rooms! I’d like to be able to report that tonight’s trip to Denny’s went much better, but I think there must be a system crash at six consecutive orders as once again six meals arrive together and one follows after several prompts. Miley-Rose looks longingly at the burgers, but has to make do with baby food again.

Name:	denny-miley.jpg 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	960

Still, if they can’t cope with an order for seven meals, we’d have no chance ordering eight.

Only four days of the holiday left, and we’ve got two birthdays to celebrate and two parks yet to visit. I’ll keep typing and hopefully be able to tell you all about it soon.
    Dave.

Another great report, Dave. I feel your pain about the launch. I tried four times to view the shuttle before finally seeing it on my fifth attempt.

Once, I even postponed my trip to try and see it but it wasn't meant to be.
    Tony G

Hi Dave, think i have read this out of sequence lol but really enjoying ur trip report!! thanks xx
    Liesa

Yes Great report today Dave. Sorry you missed the launch. We also feel your pain, 3 times without a result for shuttle launch, including the one that aborted with just a second to go. Gave up in the end. There are a few scheduled for the next few weeks so we'll just be looking eastwards from the Villa.

Also good shout about the WC's. let's start a WC thread so OV users never need be caught short again. Hurraaaah!

Florida Savvy
    Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    Yes Great report today Dave. Sorry you missed the launch. We also feel your pain, 3 times without a result for shuttle launch, including the one that aborted with just a second to go. Gave up in the end. There are a few scheduled for the next few weeks so we'll just be looking eastwards from the Villa.

Also good shout about the WC's. let's start a WC thread so OV users never need be caught short again. Hurraaaah!
    Been there done that! ....and it doesn't always depend on the weather in Florida. We had a wasted trip once because it was too windy in Morocco - at the last possible "abort" site before they finally commit
    Pete
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/Villas/1593.aspx

Shame about the launch but at least it finished with a good shop at Lake Buena Vista
    Jan

I've been really enjoying your trip reports, Dave. Just read the bit about Denny's - they have been awful for many years. However, it wasn't always like that. I remember my very first trip to Miami, with my parents when I was about 13 (almost forty years ago!). Never having been in America, coming from a glum, dismal, bomb ridden Belfast in the 70's, Denny's was the first American diner we ever visited. It was wonderful and a real shocker for us. Pancakes and syrup for breakfast! Unheard of.

Anyway, back then we were greeted with a genuinely friendly big hello, a glass of iced water, proper filter coffee which we had never experienced before, and best of all, when they took our order, the waitress put a little timer on our table and pressed start. If you didn't get your food before the timer ran out (10 minutes, I think), it was free.

I have no idea when they stopped this, but our every trip to Denny's since has been a big let-down. I avoid it now, but always have a soft spot for it. It opened our eyes to a world we had no idea existed.
    Tonish

I have no idea when they stopped this, but our every trip to Denny's since has been a big let-down. I avoid it now, but always have a soft spot for it. It opened our eyes to a world we had no idea existed.[/QUOTE]

It depends on which ones you use but Yeah, some are pretty grotty with some of the poorest service you'll find in Florida, but there are some that are still pretty good. The ones that spring to mind are however not in the Orlando area, they're on the gulf coast. I still like Denny's it's the closest you can get to a proper Diner now. Unless anyone has a tip for authentic U.S. Diners? (go on, you know you want to...) I'll start the ball rolling with Perkins. No beer, (not a problem for me) but the food is very good and the puddings are good and can be taken away.

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    we got up at a ridiculous hour the other year and stood on the beach at st augustine watching for a launch--we missed it--don't ask me how and went disconsolately back to bed!!--good fun!