Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Best time to book flights

Florida Newbie

Best time to book flights

After 7 long years Since our last trip, we're now looking to book our Florida fix for summer 2015. I work in a school so unfortunately has to be summer hols. We were planning the last 3 weeks of August as I heard it might be a bit quieter. I've been shocked at flight prices (previous visits were march/April time). My questions are...
    when is it best to book flights?alot of them I know don't release prices until about a year before but should we book them straight away or will they come down in price?
    I know it will be very hot but will the humidity be alot worse than April time? Unbearable?
    There will be myself and my husband, along with my son, aged 19 and my daughter aged 16
    very exited to be finally planning but I must admit flight prices are worrying me a bit. I thought they might be about £850 but I think they may be more! Am I being too hopeful?

If you are prepared to have a stop on route you may find it a bit cheaper. Also worth looking at the American airlines. Tampa is well within reach of Orlando as an alternative airport.

Sue
    Gerry and Sue

Florida Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Brinky View Post
    After 7 long years Since our last trip, we're now looking to book our Florida fix for summer 2015. I work in a school so unfortunately has to be summer hols. We were planning the last 3 weeks of August as I heard it might be a bit quieter. I've been shocked at flight prices (previous visits were march/April time). My questions are...
    when is it best to book flights?alot of them I know don't release prices until about a year before but should we book them straight away or will they come down in price?
    I know it will be very hot but will the humidity be alot worse than April time? Unbearable?
    There will be myself and my husband, along with my son, aged 19 and my daughter aged 16
    very exited to be finally planning but I must admit flight prices are worrying me a bit. I thought they might be about £850 but I think they may be more! Am I being too hopeful?
    If you're going the last couple of weeks of August and live in the North of England, you may find that flight prices from Glasgow and Edinburgh are cheaper than Manchester or Newcastle due to the different school holiday dates.

Florida Newbie
    Unforetunately I live in Oxfordshire so Scotland would be a bit of hike! Thank you so far!

You need to keep looking at flight prices as they change all the time. Prices can change a number of times a day on some sites (such as BA). There doesn't seem to be any trend on when prices rise & fall, and as suggested, look at different airports. The best time I have found (and it isn't always the case) is as far ahead as possible. Also, flight prices can sometimes drop about a week before XMAS. The best time to book is when you see the price you are happy to pay. Once booked, don't look again.
    Last edited by BIGEYE; 30-04-2014 at 01:23.

Florida Newbie
    Thank you for your help. I'm in Oxford so Scotland flights are not really an option for us. I'll just keep looking!

Look at traveling indirect the savings can be considerable. We travelled indirect at Easter and paid £645 pp when Virgin were asking £900!
    In my experience rarely do the flight prices come down nearer to the date of travel in school holidays as there is such a demand for seats there is no need for the airlines to reduce the cost.
    As to the heat and humidity we used to do it year on year when the kids were little but now we prefer to travel outside of the summer months. On the odd occasion we have been there in June or early July I always wonder how we managed the parks day after day in that sort of heat, but your kids are older and you will be able to pace yourselves.......have fun!

Liz

Florida Expert
    Another heads up for those in the North that Thomas Cook is starting a 3 times a week service to both Miami and New York JFK in Summer 2015 from Manchester.

Try Thomson and Monarch for late April / May you normally get some great last minute deals if your prepared to wait we have had £395 in the past with Thomson,

for August keep a close eye on when Virgin have a sale next one should be this September and we got flights for this August with them for £620 each which was a good price.

My son is going the last three weeks of August this year as his wife is a teacher as well. They and their three children are flying by Norwegian Airlines from Gatwick. The only downside is they fly to Fort Lauderdale which is about a three hour drive to Orlando. As the flight arrives quite late they are staying overnight at a cheap airport hotel. The hotel has an airport shuttle so they are picking their car up the following day for a leisurely drive up to Orlando. He booked the flights as soon as they became available and paid about £3,100 with all extras.
    Last edited by syrup; 10-05-2014 at 18:49.