Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Upgrading flights

Florida Newbie

Upgrading flights

Hi
    On our next trip to Florida I am seriously considering upgrading to premium economy with either Virgin or BA. Can anyone give me a bit of feedback on their experiences of this upgrade. I fully appreciate the costs involved as I have done a bit of research. I am keen to establish if it represents reasonable value for money and would be interested in peoples views.
    Thanks
    Gofer.
    budvar

Florida Chatterbox
    I think it all comes down to a matter of opinion and how you choose to spend your money.

We fly premium economy with Virgin and we feel that it represents value for money but others will have a different viewpoint. The only way to be sure is to try it for yourself but if you are a bit uncertain why not fly out economy and fly back premium so you can make a comparison, that's what we did then chose to fly premium both ways.

Gold 5 Star Member
    We too fly PE with Virgin as we found Economy was too hard and unforgiving on hubbys "builders back and footballers knees) He was finding he couldnt walk properly for a couple of days so we decided to change and find it much better with the extra legroom. You also get an extra suitcase included free.
    Babblin Boo

We go PE when we can afford it - usually when there is a special offer on, or reduced miles etc. I would say that if we go PE only one way, it would be on the way out due to the longer flight and the fact that I sleep on the night flight home - missing the upgraded meal, drinks etc.

I also thought PE was better when it was upstairs with Virgin, giving a nice quite, small cabin, but now it is downstairs, and mixed with economy upstairs, that advantage has gone.

You do get more leg room, wider seats, bigger luggage allowance, better food, more drinks in PE. It depends on how much you value these things as to whether it is worth it or not.

Sue
    Gerry and Sue

Gold 5 Star Member
    I must admit last time our seats were moved from the ones we had reserved to the upstairs on the way out and I didnt like it, felt much more cramped and lost the advantage of getting off aircraft first, less locker space so most bags were bing taken by staff to locker just in frotn of stairs meaning we had to hurriedly take out all our valuables as they werent leaving our sight.
    Babblin Boo

Give it a try, the extra space is really nice and certainly with BA, even if you only book it one way, you get the two bag allowance on both sectors which can save you the price difference with some canny Christmas shopping!
    Shirley

BA's PE is very good, not tried Virgin. The extra bag is a real bonus as has been said, and although the seat difference is not massive in terms of legroom. it' definately a more comfy seat and you do feel less knackered on arrival.

Florida Newbie
    Thank you all for your replies. Really helpful, I'm gonna go for it.
    Regards
    Gofer.
    budvar

We go PE on Virgin and think it's well worth the extra. We always try to get upstairs on the Gatwick flights as it feels better for us. Good value all round in our opinion but I'm sure others will have their thoughts on whether it's worth it or not.
    Jim

We always travel PE with Virgin and think it's well worth the difference for a little extra comfort and space. I agree with the others that the bubble has now totally lost it's appeal, so we don't care where we sit now, upstairs or downstairs, although I do like the seat-side storage of upstairs so I don't have to keep bugging hubby to get stuff down for me! We tried BA a couple of years ago, but it didn't feel anywhere near as good as Virgin for some reason, although I can't really pinpoint why. I guess it just boils down to which airline you prefer.
    Again, differences in opinion, but if I was only doing it one way, it would be on the return flight so I had a bit more room and comfort to try and sleep.

Try it once and you can make your own mind up.
    Sarah