Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Thoughts of home.

Thoughts of home.

The holiday is now beginning to draw to a close and it was time to look at the logistics of how on earth are we going to get all this shopping home. We dragged the cases out of the spare rooms and began to start to pack and do the final washing.

We had decided as a treat, to have dinner tonight at Animal Kingdom Lodge, but foolishly left it to late to book and couldn't get a table. We took a break from the packing and drive down to the lodge for a wander around. Wow this hotel is massive. We walked through the huge reception area and out onto the viewing deck where we could see giraffe, zebra, a variety of birds and antelope. There are big fire pits (unlit during the day) and big wooden rocking chairs around them, that would be a wonderful place to relax at night. The complex is so big it has two reception areas, so we drove down to the second one and wandered out to the viewing point, where you can view more animals. When you look back at the hotel behind you, you can see the vastness of the complex. The rooms overlooking the park would be nice to stay in, but the rooms at the front overlooking the car park not quite as enticing. If I put my cynical head on, and remove all the theming what you have left is a massive holiday inn. On a plus, I didn't realise that you can check in for some airlines in the hotel lobby, much easier than queuing at the airport.

We had seen enough and drove on down to Disney Boardwalk for pizza and coffee. This is a really nice area, if I was to stay in a hotel I think this is possibly the place I would opt for. I like the bakery and small shops and cafés that you can wander in and out of and enjoy a beer on the boardwalk.

The packing was still to be finished, so we came back to the villa and got in the hot tub! After a gentle doze on the sun loungers we finally finished the task in hand and the cases weighed in just below the 23 kg.

Showered and changed we made the big mistake of heading to down town Disney for dinner. It was heaving. We walked into the main area, took one look at all the people and walked out again. As we passed Planet Hollywood we asked how long for a table and was told 10 mins. We hade a reasonable meal here but the music is so loud you can't have a conversation with each other. As we left we noticed a live band playing so stopped a while to listen and enjoy the music in the late evening sun.

Back to the villa and a few cold beers on the pool deck on this our last night.
    Diane.

[beer]
    Jan

Another great installment. We always say that we would like to stay at the hotel on The boardwalk for a couple of nights love it there .

Florida Chatterbox
    Just reading your post made me sad - sad that you are leaving after such a wonderful holiday.
    I get like that every time we leave.
    Elly

Quote Originally Posted by Alain View Post
    Just reading your post made me sad - sad that you are leaving after such a wonderful holiday.
    I get like that every time we leave.
    Yep me too, I've now got the post holiday blues.
    Diane.

Florida Junior
    A Few Questions..... Do you just drive into the Animal Kingdom Lodge Parking area & just walk into the Hotel ? Do you pay for parking ? Or How is this done ?

What is the best way to drive to A.K. Lodge from Hwy 27 ?

Florida Chatterbox DisneyFunVilla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cork View Post
    A Few Questions..... Do you just drive into the Animal Kingdom Lodge Parking area & just walk into the Hotel ? Do you pay for parking ? Or How is this done ?

What is the best way to drive to A.K. Lodge from Hwy 27 ?
    Just tell security that you're visiting, show your ID, and they'll let you in. To get there from 27, I'd hop on 192, take 429 North (toll) to exit 8, follow the signs to Animal Kingdom Lodge.
    Mike

Interesting, we go from Hwy 27 onto the 192, take a left onto Black Lake Road, (if you need a marker its just after Target), at the end of the road take another left onto Sherbeth Road, at the T Junction turn left again onto Osceola Parkway and the lodge is in front of you. You can view this route quite easily on google maps.

As stated previously you will need to show photo ID, but tell them you are just visiting, look for the park your self car parks and there are two main receptions where you can go out onto the viewing deck and look at the animals. I think you can park for around 2 hours, and it's free. If you leave the car all day you will get towed away.

You can just wander into the Hotel, there are people on the main entrance doors just to greet you, but no one bothers you. We also had a wander around the shops and a look at the restaurants.

You can do this with any of the Disney Hotels and the grounds are usually quite interesting to go and have a wander around.
    Diane.

Just wanted to say, loved reading your reports Diane, thanks for posting
    Dawn Murray