Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Siesta Key

Siesta Key

We arrived on the key around 6.30pm, it was so busy with loads of traffics leaving the island. the sat nav (lady g) took us straight to the front door of the unit we had rented 10/10 to her. At the time it seemed to be a good idea to rent the upstairs unit as it would be quieter, but when you have to unload the luggage and shopping up a flight of wooden stairs it didn't seem like it at all. The unit is one of 3 in a detached house. One of the coupled from down stairs came out to greet us and give us a few island hints and tips. This is what I like about Florida, there is always some one to give you a friendly Hi, where are you from? And then offer valuable advice on the local area. We have picked up so many tips by speaking to locals I always take time to stop and chat, local advice is invaluable .
    After dragging everything up stairs, we could finally unpack, we didn't bother in the hotel and it drives me mad. I like to have all the clothes hanging up and put away, I could never cope on a road trip, live from a suitcase is not for me! By this time we had both begun to flag a bit, so made a quick supper and took advantage of the table and chairs on the balcony, after a few beers and a bite to eat we collapsed into bed and slept like logs.

Sunday arrived bright and sunny, breakfast was made and eaten on the balcony, then off into "town" to explore. It was so busy! The village or town centre was about 5 mins from our unit. There was a farmers market with a calypso band playing, lots of people wandering around and most of the cafés where full. We managed to find a cash machine to replace the funds, then wandered back to the unit for lunch. Mr M was having bacon bun withdrawal so they were duly made and consumed with gusto. We had a walked to the beach, using the short cut George from down stairs told us about, again about 5 mins walk away. The beach was heaving. It is huge but it felt like the world and his wife had come for the day. We walked a while along the sea line, everyone seemed to be having a good time, we saw two beach tents set up with a TV crew interviewing some guys we didn't recognise. The beach is very beautiful, very fine white sand and warm clear water, however very little wild life, probably down to the amount of people, jet sky's and power boats enjoying the spring break. We felt we had enough sun for one day, so back to the unit for a few cold beers, then showered and changed and wandered into the village for dinner. We had consulted trip adviser and settled on "the hub". The queue outside was vast, we managed to get onto the list and told the wait would be 45 mins. We spent the time in the bar over the road in "happy hour" all draft beer $2.00 a pint. After $20.00 a pint on Miami beach it was a nice change. Plus a live calypso band playing made for a lovely atmosphere . When the band finished playing it was time for dinner, back across the road to The Hub and our table was ready. As we sat down we noticed the Calypso band following us in and setting up in the bar! What a result. We ordered two plates of Nachos and two beers, total cost $37.00. The nachos are some of the best ever, but it was a huge plate full. A very generous mix of tacos coloured black, red, green and traditional corn coloured, lots of chilli, red onion, lettuce and sour cream. I only managed about a third of it, before we retired to bar and watch the band. We managed to stagger back to the unit around 10 pm, the Village was still buzzing, but we, yet again fell into bed into a deep slumber.

Today, rained all day so I did washing and ironing - something's don't change!!

Thanks for taking time to read my waffle - Diane.
    Diane.

Indian ridge oak Florida , South Godstone
    Great report Diane
    Wish I was there !

Tony

Smashing report Diane - sounds wonderful.....livng every line with you.

Enjoy Siesta Key Diane - it is our fav beach. The sand is like talcum powder and the beach is [I]usually[I] fairly quiet but we tend to go off-season.

We were looking at a couple of days in Miami this trip but at $20 a beer it sounds very expensive!!!

Loving your reports. Everywhere is described so beautifully!!

Quote Originally Posted by Philomena View Post
    Enjoy Siesta Key Diane - it is our fav beach. The sand is like talcum powder and the beach is [I]usually[I] fairly quiet but we tend to go off-season.

We were looking at a couple of days in Miami this trip but at $20 a beer it sounds very expensive!!!
    Not everywhere is that expensive we foolishy chose one of the trendy bars right in the middle of Ocean drive, it was very gimmicky and mainly selling cocktails. If you choose wisely ther are more reasonable bars, my advice would be don't order from a menu with no prices on it.
    Diane.

Loving it, really making me want to be there.
    Jan

Diane, if Siesta key beach is too busy, head south on Siesta key to Turtle Beach, there's ample parking. The sand is not white and fine, and the drop off in the water is steep (not sure if you have little ones with you) but it's a nice change and you can search for fossilised sharks teeth in the sand there.
    You'll also see Ophelia's on the beach there, a very nice restaurant if you fancy a bit of Posh..
    We've stayed on Siesta Key many many times, its one of our favourite places in Florida.
    Try St Armand's key further North on Lid Key for upmarket shopping and some posh Boat watching...

Waffle away... I love waffle [msnsmile2]
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    Diane, if Siesta key beach is too busy, head south on Siesta key to Turtle Beach, there's ample parking. The sand is not white and fine, and the drop off in the water is steep (not sure if you have little ones with you) but it's a nice change and you can search for fossilised sharks teeth in the sand there.
    You'll also see Ophelia's on the beach there, a very nice restaurant if you fancy a bit of Posh..
    We've stayed on Siesta Key many many times, its one of our favourite places in Florida.
    Try St Armand's key further North on Lid Key for upmarket shopping and some posh Boat watching...
    Thanks for this, once it stops raining we will give it a try.
    Diane.