Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Eating out

Florida Newbie

Eating out

I seem to remember seeing on the menus charges for groups eating in restaurants, is it normally eight or more? we are a party of six adults.

Trust me, if you're eating in a restaurant in Florida, you will be expected to hand over cash for the "service" whether you are a party of two or twenty two. We're a big family, I just scrutinize the bill and if the service charge has been added because there was a large group I just don't tip. Works out the same.

I doubt these charges for large groups could ever be enforced if you really did not think the service had justified it. Ooh you've got me on my soap box now! Don't get me started on waiters who leave a slip with the bill that states in 8 different languages "your waiter will expect a tip of 15 to 20%" !!

Bon appetite
    Dave.

I am afraid I agree with you Dave. I never tip more than 10%, same as I do at home. Equally if the service is really bad, which is very rare, I leave nothing. I know it is said that staff are do poorly paid that they rely on tips. However they need to take this up with their bosses and demand decent wages.

Andrena

I don't care how little staff are paid, that's not my problem. If I get good service, I tip, if not, I won't, and although I hate to have a meal ruined by confrontation, I'll ask for a service charge to be removed if I don't feel it's warranted.

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrena View Post
    I am afraid I agree with you Dave. I never tip more than 10%, same as I do at home. Equally if the service is really bad, which is very rare, I leave nothing. I know it is said that staff are do poorly paid that they rely on tips. However they need to take this up with their bosses and demand decent wages.

Andrena
    As I do in all countries, I tip following the convention there but ONLY if I get decent service. In the US, that typical tip is 15-20 in restaurants. The food is normally excellent quality and more than often the service is impeccable, vastly superior to that in the UK. So a decent tip is well deserved and I'm happy to give it. The reason for that excellent service, I think, is the tip culture. I'm not sure that the waiting staff have much clout with demanding increased wages but if they did and were successful, you can only assume menu prices would increase too.

Some in the UK are just not used to it. My wife was a waitress in the UK and some people tipped her 15-25%. Others thought a 1-2% tip was generous/adequate (or even a £1 coin). In reality, if the service is poor enough for to justify a derisory tip, I think it's best not to leave one at all, or raise the issue with the manager. That's what I do.

Best
    Graeme

Florida Chatterbox DisneyFunVilla's Avatar
    A lot of restaurants here (in the US) automatically add the gratuity, often 18%, for groups of 6-8 or more. If your party is six or more, take a look at the check so you know before tipping. Just because it's automatically added doesn't mean you have to pay it.

A tip of 15% is "expected". You can raise or lower it as you see fit, but that should be based on the level of service. Something a lot of people, even the wait staff, don't realize is that the tip amount should be based on the pre-tax subtotal.
    Mike