Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: YOUNG COUPLE LOOKING TO MOVE TO ORLANDO A.S.A.P

Gold 5 Star Member
    I feel I can opine on this subject both as a person of an Ethnic Moinority group and immigrant to the UK. Although I have been in this country for 20 years now and have a British Passport, I look upon that little red book merely as a "document of convenience" and no more. The fact remains that I am a foreigner in this country and while I try to obey the laws of the land to the best extent possible, I know that my family and I will be retiringg to India at some stage - where our roots really are.

Trevlad, you are absolutely right in thinking that there is a very strong feeling among the local Anglo-Saxon residents of "our little England" being eroded by immigrant population, including educated one's like ourselves. I understand that feeling and consider it as part of human nature and not necessarily racism - not unless the local person decided to take law into his/her own hands. Active Racism is rare these days, but there is still a strong undercurrent of Passive Racist attitudes (sometimes called the 'Us & Them' feeling) that is prevalent in almost every walk of life. We lived in a little village called Great Glen near Leicester in the 1990s for 5 years and in that time only one of the neighbours ever spoke to us despite our attempts to break the ice several times. We were the only 'coloured' family in Great Glen at the time and we later learned that the local middle class did not want the likes of us to 'spoil' their neighbourhood by moving in from Leicester, which had already been 'overrun'. That feeling is most prevalent in satellite towns near cities that have a large etnic population.

It is not much different here in Wootton Bassett. I can honestly say that I would not recognise any of our neighbours if I bumped into them on the street. But we have got used to the situation now and it does not bother us anymore.

Fraserlynn, I do not think that your comments were, or intended to be racist at all. But there IS a big difference between immigrants to the UK & the USA. UK is an old country steeped in history, including Colonial history. If you discount the present day Eastern European situation, almost all the Ethnic people in this country are related to its Colonial past. But the USA was really a conglomeration of different ethnic groups almost from day one, even though some settlers were not given 'First Citizen' status until the 1960s.

Well, I have said what I wanted to say on this subject. I hope that I have not offended anybody in the process.
    Nostromo

Florida Expert
    here here nostromo,
    fraserlynn i also wasnt intimating your comments on the racist angle,

someone earlier had mentioned about flying flags- us and the union.

it is lovely to see the us flags flying outside homes in florida etc. we personally say - they're patriotic or they're crazy - but not meant nastily.
    i personally admire them cos the fact of the matter is that if you whacked a flag pole in the middle of your new lawn on a new estate people at best would think your eccentric and worse if you happen to have shaved your head cos ya balding.
    it was great to see the way all the flags were flying for the england football and rugby teams. i put a flag of st george up at work and got some queer looks . i was quite offended when some elses immediate supervisor made a racist angle comment. i went down his throat and told him to get his bosses boss if there was a problem and the whole country was doing it etc. in the end nothing happened - just someone trying to score points on a pc moment.

any rate we ve all vented our spleen - we all love florida - and as they said in that eighties? pop song - 'swear your allegance to the flag, whichever flag they offer'

who did sing that ?what was it called?i'm off to work!
    Trev

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by trevlad
    - 'swear your allegance to the flag, whichever flag they offer'
    [/quote]

I think one does not have to swear alligance to anything (and I hope that they don't bring in those ridiculous American style 'Citizenship ceremonies' to the UK [msnscared][msnscared]) as long as one respects and obeys the laws of the land that one is living in. To my mind, it is that simple and straightforward.
    Nostromo

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by trevlad
    - 'swear your allegance to the flag, whichever flag they offer'
    [/quote]

I think one does not have to swear alligance to anything (and I hope that they don't bring in those ridiculous American style 'Citizenship ceremonies' to the UK [msnscared][msnscared]) as long as one respects and obeys the laws of the land that one is living in. To my mind, it is that simple and straightforward.
    [/quote]

I have a problem with illegal immigrants.....only because you can't entre a country by breaking its laws right off the boat....its like you have no respect for the countries laws from the start....England welcome my family from France many years ago......my grandmother from central America.....and we have been made very welcome in the USA....a lot of my close friends in the USA are not American born.....they are from India.......the Middle East......China...and also feel the same way I do..I just feel that a country needs to have a right to say who comes in and who does not........for the good of both its born Citizens and its lawful aliens....

Gold 5 Star Member
    As with so many things in life it is very easy to define the problems with GB and the USA; not so easy to devise solutions to those problems!

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100[brI have a problem with illegal immigrants.....only because you can't entre a country by breaking its laws right off the boat....its like you have no respect for the countries laws from the start....I just feel that a country needs to have a right to say who comes in and who does not........for the good of both its born Citizens and its lawful aliens....[/quote]

I agree with you totally there. No country owes another an explanation as to why its immigration laws are such and such, and as you say, anyone using shortcuts is breaking the law from the start. So illegal immigrants have no right to be moaning about harsh treatment by the system. But treating 'lawful aliens' as second class folk is wrong in my book, even though they are scheduled to go back to their own country at the end of their tenure. I don't know the situation in the US to comment on it, but that sort of passive discrimination occurs fairly regularly in the UK.
    Nostromo