Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: YOUNG COUPLE LOOKING TO MOVE TO ORLANDO A.S.A.P

Florida Newbie

YOUNG COUPLE LOOKING TO MOVE TO ORLANDO A.S.A.P

Hi

This is our first posting on your forum.

We are a young married couple with a seven month old daughter who would love to relocate to orlando or surrounding areas.

We have visited many times & call it our second home, but now we have our little girl we want to make it our only home.

So we can give her a much better quality of life & also the same for us.

We also have a dog who is only 18 months old & we ant to take her too, she has been chipped, but what we don't know is does she have to be put in quarantine when she got there???

Mark is a nightclub & radio dj & lorna is in admin, but in our times we have worked many different jobs (I.E bar work buliding work) & we would turn our hands to most things..

What we would like to know is how hard is it to find a job out there, we are using the internet & have already applied for several jobs over the last 2 weeks.

We also have a house to sell, so we would come over with a good amount of money, as we brought our house at the right time.

Can anyone help us with our dilemma???

We are so keen to do this for our family, someone has told us the best way is to get a job with an english pub because they are run by fellow brits & they know how hard it is to get a job & most are more than glad to help... IS THIS TRUE????

we really hope someone can help us with this.

Look forward to hearing from someone soon

MARK, LORNA BABY MAISIE & BONNIE THE DOG.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Hi MarkandLorna

Welcome to the forum!

How hard is it to get a job in Florida? Well, pretty hard if not impossible I would say. First any employer needs to convince the US Immigration that you're uniquely qualified for the job and that there are no qualified American workers who could be employed. Second, it involves loads of paperwork for the employer and most small to medium size businesses wouldn't have the resources or be willing to bother if they can get American workers.

If you have lots of equity in your UK home, you could try looking into an E2 visa which involves buying a business. There are previous threads on this on the forum so have a look at them and see if that's a suitable course for your circumstances.

There are loads of us who would love to live in Florida too if only it wasn't so difficult to do so!

Have a look at the US Embassy website http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...v/nivindex.htm which gives info about the types of visas and what's required to obtain them.
    blott

Florida Newbie
    Hi

Thanks blott for all your help

We would have about $50,000 to come out with from the house sale.

Now after reading pages on this forum i dont think that will be enough.

My wifes grandfather was born is chicago but has spent most of his life over here, but my in-laws are both retired with a good amount of money & pensions, could my wifes mother go for it though her dad being born in the states & then with my wife being her daughter????

Thanks for the quick reply

mark&lorna

Gold 5 Star Member
    I don't think $50k would be enough either.

I don't think it would make any difference... read this link http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...iv/ivindex.htm and http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...ts/robirth.htm
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    quote:Originally posted by MARKANDLORNA

Hi

This is our first posting on your forum.

We are a young married couple with a seven month old daughter who would love to relocate to orlando or surrounding areas.

We have visited many times & call it our second home, but now we have our little girl we want to make it our only home.

So we can give her a much better quality of life & also the same for us.

We also have a dog who is only 18 months old & we ant to take her too, she has been chipped, but what we don't know is does she have to be put in quarantine when she got there???

Mark is a nightclub & radio dj & lorna is in admin, but in our times we have worked many different jobs (I.E bar work buliding work) & we would turn our hands to most things..

What we would like to know is how hard is it to find a job out there, we are using the internet & have already applied for several jobs over the last 2 weeks.

We also have a house to sell, so we would come over with a good amount of money, as we brought our house at the right time.

Can anyone help us with our dilemma???

We are so keen to do this for our family, someone has told us the best way is to get a job with an english pub because they are run by fellow brits & they know how hard it is to get a job & most are more than glad to help... IS THIS TRUE????

we really hope someone can help us with this.

Look forward to hearing from someone soon

MARK, LORNA BABY MAISIE & BONNIE THE DOG.
    You'd need a degree or 12 year at a job needed in the USA.....even then right now it would be hard work finding a company to bring you over......way to many Americans are out of work ......all H1B visa are gone until Oct.....that was on the news last night....so the Americans will be looking to the States to fill posts over the next few months .....

We would find it hard enough even with a greencard to get a job in a different State....everything is slowly picking up over here.....but unless you have something to offer America that it can't get here......hopes of moving are slim.....

Florida Newbie
    well hopefully i can find a good radio job

and the company would help get me my visa

we are just sick & tried of it over here (it's the pits)

thanks for your help though

mark and lorna

Gold 5 Star Member

Hi

Thanks blott for all your help

We would have about $50,000 to come out with from the house sale.

Now after reading pages on this forum i dont think that will be enough.

My wifes grandfather was born is chicago but has spent most of his life over here, but my in-laws are both retired with a good amount of money & pensions, could my wifes mother go for it though her dad being born in the states & then with my wife being her daughter????

Thanks for the quick reply

mark&lorna
    We came over with $60k....but houses were cheaper 4 years ago....and all that went in under a month.....we had everything paid for by the company bringing us over....if not that would of taken a large amount of the $60k.....fights...hotels until you find a home.....storage of anything you bring over....bringing anything over.....in your case...a good dog kennel ..until you have your own home and all the vets bills..rabies jabs.....heartworm tabs....etc....(no your dog does not need to go into quarantine) ...renting a car...taking driving tests....buying a car...and all the costs that come with that one........you need very deep pockets to move over here.....

Friends of mine got a soft furnishings franchise. They answered an advert whilst on holiday. Got the job and with it all the appropriate paperwork. This was about ten years ago but they were in their sixties at the time. They are very happy and would not wish to return to the UK.
    Everyone told them that it wasn't easy but it all just fell into place for them.
    There is a book by Roger Jones called "Getting a job in America"
    ISBN 1-85703-677-8 which may be helpful to you.
    Good Luck!! If its what you really want I am sure you will find a way.
    Angela

Florida Newbie
    hi

I cant believe how helpful everyone is being on this forum

We are coming out on the 2nd of may for 17 days & we will be having a good look round then.

We are still hoping we can a fellow brit out there with a pub or bar to help us....

We can live in hope

mark & lorna

Gold 5 Star Member

well hopefully i can find a good radio job

and the company would help get me my visa

we are just sick & tried of it over here (it's the pits)

thanks for your help though

mark and lorna
    You could try finding a radio job.....thats something I know nothing about...a few jobs come under different visas.....actors...painters....tattoo artists........writers......they have a different visa....maybe radio work falls under that......

I'm going to give my 2 cents.....after the first few months of moving......living in the USA.....is just the same as being in the UK.....if not for the US flags flying in carparks etc....I could still be home......you go to work.....kids go to school......you shop.....etc.....The USA has a few more downside......small amounts of holiday time.....long hours.....you have to always have in the back of you mind the loss of your job......you need say....$20k back up money for the day you walk into work and they tell you you're nolonger needed.....no warnings that the company is laying off people unlike in England...just clear your desk and out.....so you need money to pay bills..to keep your home...and pay for healthcare for months on end until you find more work....you have no welfare ...no free healthcare for your kids...to fall back on.....it is a better life for your kids living in the USA.....but its hard never ending work and worry for you......