Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa · Flights To Florida
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 43

Thread: Alamo & Sun Pass etc

  1. #31
    Florida Chatterbox Dads_Taxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    600
    Well, I did a bit of Googling, and I found this article published in April 2014. I cannot vouch for the accuracy but it sort of answered my own question. Maybe Roger could supply some updated info if this is inaccurate?


    • Avis and Budget charge a $2.95 daily convenience fee for their e-Toll system, even on days when the renter doesn't drive on a toll road. The fees max out at $14.75 per rental per month. The driver also pays for tolls they've driven through at the "cash toll rate," not the discounted rate normally given subscribers.
    • Dollar and Thrifty are moving in some states to a flat-fee, prepaid toll system called Pass24. For $5.95 a day or $27.95 a week, customers in a handful of states can prepay for both tolls and fees at one time.
    • Hertz charges a $4.95 daily administrative fee for customers using its PlatePass system. Like Avis and Budget, that includes any rental days where the toll transponder wasn't used, up to a maximum of $24.75 per rental per month. Hertz also offers a Toll Day Pass; for between $9.90 and $14.30 a day, renters are covered for all tolls and fees, with the promise that "you will never receive any subsequent toll charges or administration fees."
    • Alamo, Enterprise and National charge a $2.95 daily fee for their TollPass program, up to $14.75 per rental period, along with the cost of the tolls.


    The following link is from Sunpass and gives details of rental car company charges for using Florida toll roads https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar
    Last edited by Jill; 08-04-2015 at 22:08.
    Dave.


  2. #32
    Florida Junior
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    85
    You can ask for the transponder to be turned Off. Or take a car without the transponder .

    Just have it turned OFF and use the Pay Point at the Toll Barrier.

    You really do not loose a lot of time by stopping and paying.


  3. #33
    Florida Expert Gerry Reed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kent (Biggin Hill) and Four Corners
    Posts
    1,114
    If you are staying in the 27 or Kissimmee area and just visiting the parks, the only tolls you will pay are too and from the airport and these are only a few dollars each way so not worth paying the weekly rate for a hire surpass, much better to pay cash at the booth. However if you are driving down to Miami some areas no longer take cash so the weekly hire would be worth considering.

    Sue
    Gerry and Sue




  4. #34
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,070
    The areas no longer taking cash in South Florida are on the southern 47 miles of Florida’s Turnpike, the Golden Glades interchange in Miami-Dade County, along with the Sawgrass Expressway in Broward County. The following link has more information
    http://www.floridasturnpike.com/all-...dTollRates.cfm


  5. #35
    Gold 5 Star Member SDJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Windwood Bay/Tavistock, Devon.
    Posts
    4,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    A Laurel already said, no, there's no need to inform Alamo.

    To make doubly-triply sure you won't get charged, register the hire vehicle details with your Sunpass account (there's an app that lets you do it easily). If it's registered, even if the booth fails to pick up your transponder, it will see your licence plate is registered to your account and charge you for it.

    Only in the absence of both will it charge the hire company.
    Thank you Tony. The problem with registering the vehicle with Sun Pass is that we are returning it after 5 days and then cruising. We pick up a different car from Port Canaveral so it would mean a bit of messing about for me! I will maybe leave it to chance!!!


  6. #36
    Florida Chatterbox
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wakefield
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by cork View Post
    You can ask for the transponder to be turned Off. Or take a car without the transponder .

    Just have it turned OFF and use the Pay Point at the Toll Barrier.

    You really do not loose a lot of time by stopping and paying.
    Don't think the cars have transponders in them. The system works on number plate recognition if you do not pay the toll. I think if you pay the toll at the booth you will not be charged.

    Some roads have unmanned booths so you need to have coins to put in the collector.


  7. #37
    Florida Chatterbox Tony G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJ View Post
    Thank you Tony. The problem with registering the vehicle with Sun Pass is that we are returning it after 5 days and then cruising. We pick up a different car from Port Canaveral so it would mean a bit of messing about for me! I will maybe leave it to chance!!!
    That shouldn't be a problem. The app has a checkbox to say whether the vehicle is a hire vehicle. If it is, you can enter the return date and time. After that elapses, you won't be charged any tolls. You can then register your second vehicle.
    Tony G



  8. #38
    Florida Chatterbox Tony G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurel Oak View Post
    Don't think the cars have transponders in them. The system works on number plate recognition if you do not pay the toll. I think if you pay the toll at the booth you will not be charged.

    Some roads have unmanned booths so you need to have coins to put in the collector.
    You're right, most don't have transponders in them. I've only seen Avis who use a transponder, the others use licence plate recognition AFAIK.
    Tony G



  9. #39
    Gold 5 Star Member SDJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Windwood Bay/Tavistock, Devon.
    Posts
    4,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    That shouldn't be a problem. The app has a checkbox to say whether the vehicle is a hire vehicle. If it is, you can enter the return date and time. After that elapses, you won't be charged any tolls. You can then register your second vehicle.
    I have just downloaded the App so thank you. It all looks simple! Thank you for giving me the information - appreciated.[clap]


  10. #40
    Florida Chatterbox Tony G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    631
    Anytime!
    Tony G



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •