Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MagicBands & Privacy

Florida Chatterbox DisneyFunVilla's Avatar

MagicBands & Privacy

Here's an interesting read about Disney's new MagicBands. There are some privacy concerns, it seems.

http://gigaom.com/2014/01/18/you-don...ace-data-race/

An excerpt: "What does Disney get out of the deal? In short, it tracks everything you do, everything you buy, everything you eat, everything you ride, everywhere you go in the park. If the goal is to keep you in the park longer so you’ll spend more money, it can build AI models on itineraries, show schedules, line length, weather, etc., to figure out what influences stay length and cash expenditure. Perhaps there are a few levers they can pull to get money out of you."
    Mike

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    It's no different to the supermarket loyalty shames I guess. You get something out of it as a customer, but the company gets a LOT more out of it and can use the data collected to make you spend even more money on future visits, perhaps even without you realising it.

Someone pointed out that Disney could also use this to determine if you aren't spending any money. With that information, would they make your stay miserable to get you out faster?
    Mike

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    hehehe - that's a very interesting point .

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFunVilla View Post
    Someone pointed out that Disney could also use this to determine if you aren't spending any money. With that information, would they make your stay miserable to get you out faster?

At the current prices for food etc. in Disney, I am surprised anybody buys. Our kids were staying at Saratoga Springs and as my husband had a tummy bug we went to buy one of those energy drinks at The Paddock shop, it cost $3.95, Publix sell the same bottle for $1!
    Even a small individual packet of potato chips was $2.95! My advice us bring your own food and drinks with you and save a fortune - you will gave more to spend in the shopping malls where the deals are great right now. Bought a couple of tops in Ann Taylor, reduced from $49.95 go $15.

Andrena

Yes it's true I'm afraid, Disney (and the other Parks) do squeeze you until you squeak like Mickey.

Florida Chatterbox
    I didnt think they were keen on you bringing in your own food, last time we were there bout 3 yrs ago they didnt let us in with our coolbag that was sitting in the pram, even explained by son was diabetic and we need certain foods for him, still didnt get it in

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    You can't take food into Sea World but I have never had a problem taking food into Disney.
    Lyn

Gold 5 Star Member
    They can only track your shopping/food habits if you link a credit card to it and use it tp pay (which I have no intention of doing with mine) you only use it to touch into machines etc. for rides and entry. So that is no different to your existing rfid ticket. it does make it a lot quicker as you dont have to keep getting your ticket out to go on machines. You can still do that, as you dont have to buy the wristbands (they are $12.95 if youo don't have an annual ticket) ours came free with our passes but we had to wait 3 days for delivery (they told us 14 so good service). The other thing Disney gets is that people will buy them as souvenirs and there are a whole range of accessories you can buy for them (vcovers and sliders etc). Good thing is though they are not only single use, when you buy a new ticket you just link it to you My Disney experience account. The account has all the same details as the bands and cards do as to what fastpasses etc you have ordered are.
    As you say its no different to any loyalty card.
    Babblin Boo

Since they all have a chip, I can see someone just sitting at a monitor watching everywhere I go.
    Mike