Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 59 days to go!

59 days to go!

Finally we have sorted out our next trip, so rather than a post trip report, here is a like bit of info on what we have booked so far. We fly into Miami in 59 days time to spend 3 nights looking around the city, and enjoying (hopefully) the sights. As this is our first Miami trip any advice on what to see and where to go would be appreciated.

From here we collect a hire car and drive up to the gulf coast. We have booked a week on Siesta Key, Sarasota, again an area new to us, we have stopped off in Sarasota for coffee once before, on our way to Sanibel Island. Again, any advice would be appreciated.

And finally we drive over to Orlando for a week in George and Pam's wonderful villa, I really can't wait for this bit, although I'm sure the rest of the holiday will be fantastic. We will have the iPad with us so hope to do a full trip report whilst we are there.

look forward to sharing our holiday report with you all.

Diane.
    Diane.

I suggest that on your way to the Gulf Coast you stop on alligator alley to have an airboat ride in the Everglades. There are a few places along the way you can do this. A word of warning, however. They have huge mosquitos which are bigger than any others I have ever seen, so use plenty of repellent.

South Beach is worth some time wandering around, although if you don't (like me) have a perfect body, it can be a little depressing. Have breakfast in the News Cafe before you leave. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Miami, but Mrs T loves it. I will check with her and come back with her recommendations.
    Tonish

Thanks for that Peter, we have done the air boat rides at Boggy Creek and really enjoyed them, so will be putting the everglades on our "to do " list. We will be going to South Beach, but as we will have just arrived, will have to play the pale and interesting card! [msnembarrased]
    Diane.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I would recommend taking 41 out of Miami, more scenic than I75, Alligator Alley, albeit slower but lots of stopping places and airboat rides. Indian villages!!! you will see more wildlife and be closer to it on this route. It is single lane for the most part so you can stuck behind cars pulling boats.

Armand Circle in Sarasota is a must, people watching and an eclectic range of shops, great on a Friday evening.
    The Marie Selby botanical gardens, The Ringling Museum there is a great Farmers market downtown on a Saturday through the season.

Have fun.

Florida Chatterbox

59 days to go!

I agree about the 41. done this route a few times and its a great run. stop off at everglades city for speedy johnsons airboat ride. one of the few that go through the mangroves as well as more open water. while there have lunch at the wooden shack on stilts (sorry cant remember the name). great crab cakes though

Gold 5 Star Member
    How about one of the walking tours around South Beach / Ocean Drive so that you get all the history of the art deco movement, plus a few rumours and a bunch of laughs as well.

I also love the Duck tours on the big, yellow amphibious bus/ship things. I know that this is about as touristy as you can ever get, but who cares. You're on holiday. It's great seeing Miami from the water as well as the land. You'll also to see some of the most expensive property in the city - like the guy who paid something like $100,000 to have his palm trees flown in from South Africa just so that they would all look exactly the same. Your tour guide might also tell you how to go get your photo taken outside Al Capone's house on one of the private islands ;-)
    Steve

Walking Tour

Quote Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
    How about one of the walking tours around South Beach / Ocean Drive so that you get all the history of the art deco movement, plus a few rumours and a bunch of laughs as well.

I also love the Duck tours on the big, yellow amphibious bus/ship things. I know that this is about as touristy as you can ever get, but who cares. You're on holiday. It's great seeing Miami from the water as well as the land. You'll also to see some of the most expensive property in the city - like the guy who paid something like $100,000 to have his palm trees flown in from South Africa just so that they would all look exactly the same. Your tour guide might also tell you how to go get your photo taken outside Al Capone's house on one of the private islands ;-)

I like the idea of the walking tour, another addition on our "to do " list, thanks guys for the suggestions.

Diane.
    Diane.

Florida Chatterbox DisneyFunVilla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapper View Post

when I lived in Virginia a few years ago, a good friend of mine from France came to visit. We went on the Washington, DC Duck Tour and all loved it, us locals and our French visitors. It's a very unique part on land, part on water tour. I think it's the same everywhere, but in DC, at least, they were using actual "retired" armored personnel carriers, which adds another neat flair to the activity.
    Mike

Snap - we have 59 days to go too
    We are heading over to watch the final week of the baseball spring training so will be stadium in Port Charlotte for the Rays and Bradenton for the Pirates. Highly recommend if you like siting in the sun, catching the game and having a beer [beer]
    Jan and Lee

Florida Chatterbox
    Can't comment directly about the 41 as we didn't take this route on our recent trip from Orlando to Miami, but what I can say that it I had known about it, I would have taken it as the I75 was just the most boring stretch of road ever!