Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paranoid Traveler! ESTA expires 5 days after we return home. Anyone any experience?

Paranoid Traveler! ESTA expires 5 days after we return home. Anyone any experience?

76 Days 'til we head back to Orlando, so I thought I'd check our ESTA status. Turns out 4 of us have ESTAs that are valid until 4 days after we return home, so in theory it looks as though I'd be wasting a lot of time and 40 quid on renewing them. I've tried the Help pages on the US CPB website, and found an encouraging (in bold type no less) "If your ESTA expires while in the US it will not affect your departure. "

So, just out of interest, has anyone ever been questioned about a soon-to-expire ESTA when leaving the UK or entering the USA?
    Dave.

Never been asked and I know someone who's ESTA expred during their visit and nobody questioned it - it must just be valid on your departure so you will be fine....spend the few pounds on something else

Esta site;
    My travel authorization is valid for travel to the United States but will expire before I depart. Do I need to apply for a new one before my trip?No. ESTA travel authorization needs only to be valid upon arrival in the United States.

So dont waste your money, Dave. Esta needs to be in place for your arrival in the states

Jan

Oh, well done Jan, you found exactly what I was looking for. It's a BIG site and I wasn't able to find a definitive answer as you have. Thanks for that.

Carol, I'll treat the gang to a round of ice-creams out of my savings!
    Last edited by Dads_Taxi; 05-02-2014 at 22:19. Reason: Typo
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dads_Taxi View Post
    Oh, well one Jan, you found exactly what I was looking for. It's a BIG site and I wasn't able to find a definitive answer as you have. Thanks for that.

Carol, I'll treat the gang to a round of ice-creams out of my savings!
    Great idea...enjoy

Florida Newbie
    On a similar vain people think you need 6 months on your passport remaining when you enter the USA when in fact it only needs to be valid for your stay.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CassarJ View Post
    On a similar vain people think you need 6 months on your passport remaining when you enter the USA when in fact it only needs to be valid for your stay.
    I've recentlly told the story on here of our experience so will keep it brief but at the end of 2012 when we went for Christmas with hubbys passport expiring in Feb he was taken in for secondary questioning because he didnt have 6 months. the IO at the desk agreed with me when I said you dont need it according to regs and he said he had been told to send everybody in that didnt have 6 months. the one in secondary was quite hostile and ketp insisting you needed 6 months, it wont happen again as we aren't going to chance such an unpleasant experience again to start the holiday.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Newbie
    The norm is most countries need 6 months (The UK has a special agreement)

This is just another classic example of the IO not knowing the rules!
    I would take the US embassy print out next time!

Its one of those depends on the IO on the day I suppose.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CassarJ View Post
    The norm is most countries need 6 months (The UK has a special agreement)

This is just another classic example of the IO not knowing the rules!
    I would take the US embassy print out next time!

Its one of those depends on the IO on the day I suppose.
    That's what I was trying to say Jonathon, we had the print out and the IO said (even without me showing him) that we didnt need it but he had been told everyone had to be referred for secondary that didnt have 6 months. we've had friends travle with less the my husband had and had no problems, since it is down to their discretion on the day we think it best not to take and chances.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Newbie
    I take your point - but a new passport = new ESTA so kind of annoys when its not technically necessary!

You can renew your passport 6 months ahead of time, without loosing anything
    So no issue when ESTA was free, but as its not any more or transferable, they are effectively making it more expensive, by not following the 6 month rule, and forcing you to buy a new one ahead of time.