Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paranoid Traveler! ESTA expires 5 days after we return home. Anyone any experience?

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CassarJ View Post
    I take your point - but a new passport = new ESTA so kind of annoys when its not technically necessary!

You can renew your passport 6 months ahead of time, without loosing anything
    So no issue when ESTA was free, but as its not any more or transferable, they are effectively making it more expensive, by not following the 6 month rule, and forcing you to buy a new one ahead of time.
    Thats exactly why we didnt renew ahead of time, he had an Esta in place that covered him and realised that if we got a new passport (we had even got so far as filling in the passport application online and it had been posted to us for signature) would then have to renew the esta (in December) and knew we weren't going to be needing it taill at least the next July so would have lost 7 months of the 2 years validity of the Esta. You can renew your passport anytime but only up to 9 months unused validity will be added on. Luckily wont have that problem for at leat another 8 years as we have both renewed passports now.
    Babblin Boo

Our granddaughter has had to get a new passport as hers showed her picture at 3months and she is now almost 5. This means a new ESTA which of course puts her out of date to the rest of the family. However if they had listened to me they would all have got a Visa and the this wouldn't have happened, they would just have Had to carry both passports and it would have lasted 10 years which would have saved money as the Visa lasts for 10 years but they didn't listen. They go every year sometimes twice a year so it would have been worth it.

Florida Newbie
    I thought the US Embassy (in the UK) often challenge the need for a B2, if you only do 2 trips a year?
    Also I don't think all B2's last ten years automatically these days - some are only 5 I'd heard..

We have had B2s for years and they have always been for 10 years. I know many people who have them and have not had a oroblems in getting them.

Andrena

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    It would be nice if you could trust the IO to know what the rules are, it is there job after all. However we seem to know the rules better than they do, not that it helps when you are questioned, as the ESTA gives you no rights of appeal so if they say no then no it is, scary really.
    Lyn

Just one phone call to the US Embassy could cost as much as an ESTA I reckon!

BTW you've all hijacked my thread!!
    Dave.

Dave, just to be sure I think I would just renew and then you are all set for the next trip with no worries at all for this one

Florida Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
    It would be nice if you could trust the IO to know what the rules are, it is there job after all. However we seem to know the rules better than they do, not that it helps when you are questioned, as the ESTA gives you no rights of appeal so if they say no then no it is, scary really.
    True - fortunately never happened to me (says whilst touching wood!)

They can also refuse your entry on a B2 - neither visa guarantees entry - Its all down to the IO's opinion of your intent on arrival.

Some people get B2's thinking they are better - but other than a longer stay there's not much in it

I might get a B2 once I retire - as maybe can they afford a longer trip!

And Dave this thread is still fairly on topic!! all about ESTAs and other visa choices...

Florida Chatterbox
    We're travelling out in January but my sister is flying out 1st Feb. Our Esta's run out 2nd Feb which would have been valid but to save her worrying I've just renewed hers.
    The form has so much more info added to it, including contact details in US. I put our holiday villa adds and my mobile number.

The most annoying part was it referred to the previous application at the end of the submission, it would have been easier to up load those details as they were all still valid.

Florida Chatterbox freddiehollie's Avatar
    Quote :- I take your point - but a new passport = new ESTA so kind of annoys when its not technically necessary!

Maybe not necessary, "But"....... More ESTA revenue for US Goverment ;-);-);-)
    mike