Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: best way to take spending money? ?

Florida Chatterbox DisneyFunVilla's Avatar
    I know it's reverse, but when I travel to Europe/England, I take a little bit of cash, maybe $100, then hit an ATM in the airport and make a small withdrawal in local currency. I've found the exchange rate to be decent and the convenience to be excellent. I use my credit card for most purchases, again, a decent exchange rate, and if I need more cash, I hit another ATM. It may not be the same coming over here, but I've found the exchange rate using ATM and credit cards to be just as good, if not better, than exchanging currency.

It used to be, in the U.S. at least, that you couldn't use a credit card for anything under $10. Now, though, you can charge just about anything anywhere. One day, not realizing, that I was out of cash, I charged something for just over $2 and no one even blinked. I thought for sure I would get the stink eye, but no, business as usual.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFunVilla View Post
    I know it's reverse, but when I travel to Europe/England, I take a little bit of cash, maybe $100, then hit an ATM in the airport and make a small withdrawal in local currency. I've found the exchange rate to be decent and the convenience to be excellent. I use my credit card for most purchases, again, a decent exchange rate, and if I need more cash, I hit another ATM. It may not be the same coming over here, but I've found the exchange rate using ATM and credit cards to be just as good, if not better, than exchanging currency.

I agree with you, and we do the same when travelling to Florida. Usually we arrive with about USD200, which we will have left over from our previous trip. Then it's just a matter of using ATMs to lift out a few hundred when we need it and otherwise using a credit card for park tickets etc. We don't really treat our holiday spending cash any differently from how we normally access cash at home, and can't really understand why anyone would. i know there's usually a fee involved, but honestly, when we check bank statements on our return, it's a negligible cost in comparison with the total spend, and not worth obsessing over.
    Tonish

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonish View Post
    I agree with you, and we do the same when travelling to Florida. Usually we arrive with about USD200, which we will have left over from our previous trip. Then it's just a matter of using ATMs to lift out a few hundred when we need it and otherwise using a credit card for park tickets etc. We don't really treat our holiday spending cash any differently from how we normally access cash at home, and can't really understand why anyone would. i know there's usually a fee involved, but honestly, when we check bank statements on our return, it's a negligible cost in comparison with the total spend, and not worth obsessing over.
    The differrence I find is that I don't have to worry about checking bank statements on return for holiday spends as I know it has all been taken care of whilst I am away. With a pre loaded card and cash I know I can't overspend or be charged extra so I just feel it gives me a bit more peace of mind especially with hubby being self employed and knowing that he won't be earning any money whilst we are away, it's just a bit more relaxing for us. As with everything what works for some others won't be so comfortable with and it's down to personal choice so it's good to know the options but also important that everybody checks their own financial institutions policies before they go as they don't want to find out on their return that they use the only bank that charges something silly on each transaction which can easily add up over the course of 2/3 weeks.
    Babblin Boo

Been 8 times now and only ever taken US Dollars.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonish View Post
    Matches my approach exactly. I'm going to California for a few days next week and haven't even checked how many dollars I have from previous trips. If I'm short I'll get a small amount from an ATM at LAX but my spending will all be on a credit card, I've never had the slighest issue with small purchases.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 11-01-2014 at 07:25.

A word or warning, if you are using your current account, or some credit cards remember to notify the bank before you leave that you will be using your card abroad. Mr M always forgets and the hours we have wasted and the stress involved when he has tried to withdraw cash or use his cards and then had to ring the bank to get authorisation etc etc. Me, I have never had a problem. But now we use the Travelex cards, I pre load before we go and top up via the internet whilst we are there. Mr M also had his card cloned twice and is now very cautious about using his cards abroad so this also gives him piece of mind. A little pre planning and everything usually falls into place. Have a good holiday.

Diane.
    Diane.

Romford, UK & Highgate Park, Davenport, Florida
    We always take cash and use Thomas Exchange Global - always the best rate on the high street
    Sandra

Super Moderator
    We always notify our banks we will be using debit and credit cards abroad but a word of warning it does not always work and sometimes the computer still 'says no'[!] When we called the bank they said that it is a computer decision - obviously a human is not capable of checking what the computer has said no to and looking to see if, as in our case, they were told we would be spending money in a certain store and letting the transaction go through.

Quote Originally Posted by steph_goodrum View Post
    We take cash and a Fairfx card. That way we know you don't have to worry about any unexpected bills when you come home, we are spending money we have already saved rather than having to budget for it. The rate is always excellent (it was $1.61 at the weekend) you can only withdraw $300 in cash a day but there aren't any other limitations we have found.
    If you use the ATM at Regions Bank you can withdraw up to $800 a day - we did it whilst over there in November. Saves a bit of money too as Fairfx charge $2 each time you use the card and Regions does not charge to use the ATM. The other ATM's we tried were all going to charge an extra $3.95 to use them. There is a Regions bank at Celebration - the part that is nearest the 192 - and there is a drive through at Champions Gate.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Just to be clear Fairfx only charge for withdrawing cash not for purchases.
    Babblin Boo