Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Thread locking

Florida Chatterbox

Thread locking

I can't ask this question on the thread, but I wonder if someone would mind telling me why the thread on Seaworld has been locked.

It contains, what I consider to be, some good natured discussion about a very topical issue where people are respectively sharing their differing views.

I think we are all sensible people here, able to decide what to read and what not to read and as long as something is on topic and respectful then why lock it?

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    I personally would have been tempted to let the thread run as it was a good natured discussion and raised some very interesting points. Our moderators thought it had run it's course and the discussion was starting to go round in circles and I do tend to agree with that too. I totally stand by their decision as I really cannot see what could be added that had not already been said.

At the end of the day, we exist to promote our villas and encourage guests to have a fantastic vacation in sunny Florida, staying in one of our beautiful villas. We're not here to discuss in depth the feelings of people over the SeaWorld documentary as there are much better and more relevant places to discuss that.

Having said that, I do agree that we should (and indeed always strive to) be totally open about all things Florida and not sugar-coat things to make them something they are not. That is why we let the discussion carry on as it did and did not just zap it the moment we saw it (which plenty of other forums would have done).

That being said, I'll end by re-iterating that the moderators and myself do think all that could be said was said in the thread and leaving it open just means it goes round in circles more and clouds the discussion.

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks for responding John, I appreciate it.

My reaction was to the fact that someone said it was boring and should be locked and your moderator said I agree and locked it. I guess if it doesn't interest someone then they really have no need to read it. Meanwhile it was getting far more views than any of the other "live" topics which would suggest to me that the majority were finding it actually quite interesting. I can't help feeling a bit censored

I of course get that you are here to promote all things Orlando and appreciate that you have total discretion about what it posted on here. There is no escaping though that Blackfish is creating a great deal of news at the moment and I am sure people who are considering a trip to Orlando and Seaworld are seeing this and thinking about what this means to them. I think a well balanced and friendly discussion will only help to inform people on both sides of the argument and help people make a considered choice rather than just deciding it is not for them. Surely this is a benefit to everyone involved, including those promoting Orlando and Seaworld. I don't think it i possible to just ignore and hope no one notices.

For me, when I see a locked thread like this it makes me think it must be a taboo subject and therefore something I should be more worried about and go off and research.

That all said, I have re-read some of my posts and I was starting to sound a bit evangelical!!
    Last edited by FraserLynn; 20-12-2013 at 10:10.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I was following the thread with interest although I didn't feel qualified to contribute because I hadn't seen the film being referred to and it's a very long time since I visited Seaworld.

I'm sure moderating is often a thankless task and we should all be grateful to those who give their time to do it but, on a general level, I do also think that moderators should be very careful about taking actions such as locking a thread on which they have been an active participant. That always leaves me feeling a little uncomfortable around objectivity.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 20-12-2013 at 11:59.

Quote Originally Posted by FraserLynn View Post
    Thanks for responding John, I appreciate it.

My reaction was to the fact that someone said it was boring and should be locked and your moderator said I agree and locked it. I guess if it doesn't interest someone then they really have no need to read it. Meanwhile it was getting far more views than any of the other "live" topics which would suggest to me that the majority were finding it actually quite interesting. I can't help feeling a bit censored

For me, when I see a locked thread like this it makes me think it must be a taboo subject and therefore something I should be more worried about and go off and research.

That all said, I have re-read some of my posts and I was starting to sound a bit evangelical!!

Yes you were - with the same points coming around again and again

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by carolmc View Post
    Yes you were - with the same points coming around again and again

Although, to be fair, only in response to the same points being made "again and again" to me... it takes two to tango

Whilst I was happy to accept that I may have been a little evangelical, I wonder whether others will be as willing to accept that they are so narrow minded that they just digest and repeat the propaganda spewed about by the PR team at Seaworld? Why let the misery of a few animals get in the way of a good day out eh, when it is so much easier to close your mind and cheer for the performing fish (Shami, Shamu, Shamu) with the same mentality that the Victorians used to laugh at the dancing bear.

Fortunately, as John mentioned above, the debate will no doubt continue in other more progressive, less moderated forums

20m Americans watched the film on CNN and I have no doubt that (in time) progress will happen, just in the same way that it has already happened for dancing bears, elephants and tigers in circuses and other institutions that are now recognised as archaic.

It is probably time to lock this thread you got me going again

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    That is absolutely not what I said as I'm sure you well know . You will also know that this is not a heavily moderated forum and we do strive to let things stand and have full and open discussions.

Your wish is my command. This thread is now locked .

Quote Originally Posted by FraserLynn View Post
    Fortunately, as John mentioned above, the debate will no doubt continue in other more progressive, less moderated forums