Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shamu Stadium Maintenance

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester

Shamu Stadium Maintenance

Shamu Stadium is due to close early January for pool maintenance on the show pool, dine with Shamu will also be closed. It is due to reopen, hopefully, on April 7th. Whilst the show is closed there are plans for an "up close" experience were the dine with shamu is normally held.
    Lyn

Thanks for posting this, but is anybody buying the "for pool maintenance" line Sea World are using?!?!

I thought they had done work in that area when it was closed after the accident? Think there must have been a drop in numbers since the documentary which unfortunately we missed as we were away when it was screened and we were out of time to see it on iPlayer when we got home.

Shame as it used to be my favourite park - never liked Busch Gardens though. Thought the areas where they kept the animals were far too small.

Florida Chatterbox
    Uhm, I have just watched Blackfish... Having seen this, I can't bring myself to ever visit (and therefore support) Seaworld again. Whilst, at the back of your head, everyone must know that keeping these amazing creatures in captivity is wrong, it shows just how wrong and dangerous this is for both the animals and the trainers. It is clear that commercial pressures are more important than the animals and indeed the health of the team who work there.

It is a shame because Seaworld has always been my favourite park, but anyone with a conscience can't watch this film and decide to visit anyway. Apparently they have had a whole load of acts pull out of their Barbecue season in protest now as well.

I wonder if this is the start of the end?

There is plenty more to see and do in Orlando besides Seaworld.....we have not had time to visit SW in the last 6 years with so many other things to do.

Florida Chatterbox

Shamu Stadium Maintenance

I agree, masses more to do than just seaworld, I meant the start of the end for seaworld not Orlando. although if the film had the same impact on others that it did on me, it means that seaworld, aquatica, discovery cove and Busch gardens are all now off the list. I sort of wish I never watched it~ ignorance can sometimes be bliss

I've just watched & re-watched "Blackfish" & then a few of the "Frozen Planet" eposodes. Watching killer whales 'playing' with seals & penguins puts into perspective just what they are capable of in the wild.
    IMHO, all large carnivores need to be treated with respect & kept at arms length (at least). Sea World seem to have tried to demonstrate the sheer size & power of the whales, presenting them as having an almost 'cuddly' personae whilst they are actually hunter-killers....
    Not at all suprised that deaths have occured - many lion & tiger trainers have gone the same way. The males of many species are known to be occasionally very aggressive.
    Unfortunately, rightly or wrongly, the only way that the average person is ever going to see a live carnivore is in captivity....
    I sincerely hope that Sea World can find a solution whereby folk can still appreciate these animals, the recent shows where the whales 'performed' without human intervention might be a step in the right direction ???
    Again, in my opinion, it would be a great loss if Sea World were forced to end it's conservation (thinking especially of turtle & manatee work) due to falling attendance.

Florida Chatterbox freddiehollie's Avatar
    Could it be why Universal closed the Jaws ride???

A lovely creature like a Great White trapped in such a small area.....
    mike

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    You've obviously got a similar sense of humour to me. Love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by freddiehollie View Post
    could it be why universal closed the jaws ride???

A lovely creature like a great white trapped in such a small area.....

We did a behind the scenes tour a couple of years ago where they show you round their 'hospital' area and you could not fail to be impressed by all the good work they do treating and releasing back into the ocean lots of injured turtles, manatees, etc. I suppose all this work has to be paid for somehow, but think the killer whale shows may have to go! They need the public on side to be able to keep assisting those creatures in need. I am sure they are listening.