Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest changes...

Florida Junior

Biggest changes...

Ok, when we get there next April, it will be 10 looong years since we were last in Florida, what are the biggest changes since July 2004? What should I be putting on the "must see" list?

Don.

Biggest change - the amount of traffic!!!

All the theme parks have changed - and not all for the better in my opinion. Used to love Universal but find it very disappointing now - especially as they have retired the Jaws ride!! I am more a show person rather then a ride person but all the priority is given to the rides now. Great if you are in to them, but difficult if attending with young children as most rides appear unsuitable. Still love Seaworld, and enjoy Epcot and Animal Kingdom.

Apart from that there are some really good, accessible, State Parks. Lake Louisa on the 27 is great for a day out, and has it's own lake and beach. Nice walks, boat rides etc, and just a nice, relaxing day out.

And the shopping - now that's a whole other pastime!

You will have a great time.

Florida Savvy
    when we were over last month we tried the newer Premuim Outlets at the top of IDrive, much prefered it to the one of I4 at Buena Vista, they also have a 5 Guys Burger bar in the food hall where you can get really good burgers !!!!!, not sure but the shops seemed to give much better value for money and for golfers they have a Greg Norman clothes shop there, could have spent a fortune lol.

Also not sure where your staying but on the 192 just before the new toll road the 429 you have the Rolling Oaks Common retail and restaruant development, as well as a new Super target there must be at least 10 restaruants including, Bahama Breeze, Oliver Garden, Longhorns Steakhouse, texas grill, Logans, Applebees, Joes Crab Shack and a few others.

Aquatica has opened at Seaworld in the last 10 years and provides a challenge to Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon if you like water parks.
    Of course there is the well publicized Harry Potter World at Universal islands of adventure and The Simpsons ride has replaced Back to the future at Universal and there is also a new roller coaster
    Big changes going on in Magic Kingdom with the extension to Fantasy Land, not sure when it's due to be finished.
    as already mentioned, loads of new shopping areas. The Loop opened about 10 years ago and is now well established and has a multiple screen cinema, Loop West opened a couple of years later and has some great shops, and the Bonefish grill[msntongue]
    Posner Park also opened in the last 10 years and I can always spend a good couple of hours there!
    its hard to remember which things weren't always around but I hope that's given you something to go at!

Liz

Florida Savvy
    As stated above, most theme parks have changed quite a lot in the last 10 years and, sadly, Splendid China has closed. Such a shame after spending $100 million dollars creating the park. Aquatica is a nice change from the other water parks. You will find many changes in shopping outlets and new housing estates. Celebration is worth a visit. Have a great time.
    Scorpio

The headliner changes have already been mentioned: Wizarding World of Harry Potter, New Fantasyland etc.

There are a number of more subtle changes though:

Disney's Hollywood Studios
    Star Tours is on its second version and is now 3D and HD.
    Toy Story Mania has opened.
    Tower of Terror now has randomised ride sequences, so it's never the same twice.

Epcot
    Soarin' has opened.
    Test Track has had a facelift.
    Not sure whether Mission Space was open in 2004, but if not, that's new.

Animal Kingdom
    Expedition Everest has opened.

Kennedy Space Centre
    The Shuttle Launch Simulator has opened, and you can now see Shuttle Atlantis in the flesh.
    They stopped sending shuttles up!

Universal Studios
    Transformers has opened.
    Despicable Me has opened, replacing what used to be Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast in 2004.
    Hollywood Rip, Ride & Rocket has opened.
    Jaws has closed
    Earthquake has changed into Disaster

Philomena is spot on about the traffic, although there are plans to improve the I4.

Ooh, just remembered another one:

Islands of Adventure
    Spiderman has been upgraded to super high definition - it looks awesome!

Florida Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    when we were over last month we tried the newer Premuim Outlets at the top of IDrive, much prefered it to the one of I4 at Buena Vista, they also have a 5 Guys Burger bar in the food hall where you can get really good burgers !!!!!, not sure but the shops seemed to give much better value for money and for golfers they have a Greg Norman clothes shop there, could have spent a fortune lol.

Also not sure where your staying but on the 192 just before the new toll road the 429 you have the Rolling Oaks Common retail and restaruant development, as well as a new Super target there must be at least 10 restaruants including, Bahama Breeze, Oliver Garden, Longhorns Steakhouse, texas grill, Logans, Applebees, Joes Crab Shack and a few others.
    We tried the new premium Outlets as well but it was so busy it took us an hour to get parked and there were people parked on grass verges, fire lanes etc.

Both of the Premium malls have serious parking issues - in the Vineland Ave mall, I go straight to the covered parking. I've given up on finding an outdoor spot.

Florida Junior
    I like the shows as well and Epcot/Seaworld share top of the list status! Lake Louisa sounds good.
    As for the shopping...Virgin premium economy on the way back, 2 full cases each!

Don.
    Last edited by Bigblue35; 14-11-2013 at 00:08.