Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: our big mistake moving to florida

Florida Chatterbox

our big mistake moving to florida

ok - its a lot of people's dream - a new life - a new beginning - a new chapter. BUT if we could turn the clock back 3 years we would do it in a heartbeat.

Our last 3 years has been a total mess up - we came over to Florida in August 04. We sold literally everything - my husband gave up a very well paid job that he had had for the last 25 years. We have 3 children at the time they were 11, 6 and 3.

We had an immigration attorney - from the start. We came out with a big bank account - looking for a business - what i thought was a dream business turned into a nightmare not 3 weeks into buying it. Undeclared debt, inventory wrong - basically we lost nearly all our money trying to keep this business running. Having come here on a B1 visa (for the adults) and the visa waiver for the kids (great thinking American Embassy) we had to leave every 3 months (could we afford it? NO) We finally decided to sell the business - and sue the previous owner. Luckily we sold before the eviction notice took affect. With all the questions and lost paperwork that the US Embassy wanted in London, we decided before we sold that it wasn't worth getting the E2 visa. We were actually never called for it. We had the business exactly 13months. This was the worst time of my life - i failed - i lost all our money - it was my dream, it was my mistake. Because my husband didn't work in the business, it was my responsibility to keep it running - but i couldn't do it.

Anyhow we were lucky that we sold it - dream blown apart by a nuclear bomb.

We sued the previous owner and won, but hey guess what she is now declaring bankruptcy with a few other companies that she owes money to who are after her - will we get out money? Heck no.

My husband wanted to go back to England after we sold - but because i LOVED it i managed to hold it off. The money was going FAST - the cost of living is so high once you live here. We borrowed money from our UK bank account to fund the US bank account - now we are in the situation where we have little to none left in England and about the same in the US. We borrowed money to book flights back in August - this gave us time to sort our gorgeous house out.

We are taking a container home to England - as we will have nothing in England. Luckily we paid for this last year. We will go into rented accomodation, collect income support and try to start again.

MY MISTAKE WAS THINKING THAT THE GRASS IS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE. It is only greener is you have enough money to live on without having to worry. It is fantastic coming here on vacations - but to live here - not in a million years.

I am by far not the only one. I have English neighbors that this has happened to - One sentance that i have come to treasure is "if somebody is selling a business it is usually failing - who would sell a business if it was making money?????"

I know i am going to get slammed by loads of people who think it is wrong to write the bad things about living in Florida - but this is my experience. I know what it is like first hand - for me - yes people make it - and have a wonderful life - but there are pitfalls in everything. Know what you are doing fully and understand the problems before hand.

Florida Expert
    Sorry to hear that the Dream did not work out for you but what exactly did your husband do if you were left to run 'the business'?

What are your children's feelings on having to leave the sunshine and returning to UK.

Clare R

Gold 5 Star Member
    A very brave post.

Hopefully it might be a warning to others who want to pursue the dream.

Hope everything works out for you back in UK.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Sorry your dream didn't come true.

Good luck for the future.
    Paula

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Clare R
    Sorry to hear that the Dream did not work out for you but what exactly did your husband do if you were left to run 'the business'?

What are your children's feelings on having to leave the sunshine and returning to UK.

[/quote]My husband was looking after the children and generally being a house husband. It was my decision to work, he had been working for the last 25 years and i wanted him to have a break. We purchased a Bridal Boutique and it wasn't really his thing!

My daughter who is nearly 15 is devastated. My boys now 9 and 6 with cute american accents are ok about it.

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
    A very brave post.

Hopefully it might be a warning to others who want to pursue the dream.

Hope everything works out for you back in UK.
    [/quote]thank you for your words.

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caitlin
    Sorry your dream didn't come true.

Good luck for the future.
    [/quote]thank you Paula

Gold 5 Star Member
    You find out very quickly when you move here that along with all the dreams comes a few nightmares....
    Sorry to hear it did not work out like you planned Mrsbabypower...I don't know if you can take any comfort in knowing you are not alone....there are forums out there if you wish for a link where you can maybe tell your story to others thinking about moving...we could also give you some support...people to talk to who have gone back home...just give me a IM ....

I wish you lots of luck back home...I know many who have gone back with nothing and made a good life in the UK very quickly....

Gold 5 Star Member
    A very brave post indeed.

I felt sick for you as I read it..........hope things look up when you get back to the UK.

Carole

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    A very brave post indeed and sober reading to some of those who are planning on moving out there. Thanks for sharing it with us - it can't have been easy.