Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Tom Tom on Iphone

Florida Newbie
    Lindfield, East Sussex, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Tom Tom on Iphone

Hi All

We are heading over there next year and wanting to know if I take my iphone with the Tom Tom app and I buy the additional US map pack for Tom Tom then will it work over there??

thanks all[8D][8D]

As long as you have the GPS receiver (extra cost).

Florida Savvy
    Hi, yes i think it should work.
    I am sure GPS location wnt cost you anything, as there is no data download. What would be expensive is if you use a streaming map app, like apple maps or google maps.
    These cost money on your tarif as they are downloading the map image over 3G connection.

But if the maps are installed using the TomTom app, then it should be fine.

Florida Savvy
    in fact you dont even need the TomTom app, if you do a search for navigation on the app store, you can download lots of map apps for free.
    Ther is one for america, where once it is installed you can then download just the maps of america you would need, so you can just download Florida.

sory i cant remember what its called. i have it on my ipad, so i know it works fine.

The iphone needs a gps receiver, otherwise it uses 3g for location services. They cost around £75 and also doubles as a bluetooth handsfree kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddybaby View Post
    Hi, yes i think it should work.
    I am sure GPS location wnt cost you anything, as there is no data download. What would be expensive is if you use a streaming map app, like apple maps or google maps.
    These cost money on your tarif as they are downloading the map image over 3G connection.

But if the maps are installed using the TomTom app, then it should be fine.

The need for a GPS receiver depends on your model of iPhone - I think it was the 3G onwards that came with built in GPS.

I know for certain that my iPhone 4 has internal GPS, as does my sister's 3GS. I use my iPhone with the Tomtom app for navigation in the USA and it works brilliantly.