Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pool Heat

Florida Newbie
    Is it true that if the temperature is too hot, it turns the pool green?

If the pool is hot, the chlorine will evaporate more quickly reducing the levels in the water and this can cause the water to go green due to algae growth.

Sue
    Gerry and Sue

Yes, as Sue says, warm water and wrong chemical balance can turn the water, so the pool care company should be aware the heat will be raised if it's not usually kept warm. Hot tubs are heated to around 100 degrees, so it's not a difficult task to keep the balance. We have had our pool set at 88/89 for several years and have never had a green pool. We did have one guest with a poorly infant who requested the water be around 93, but we did inform our pool care company so they could keep an eye on it.
    Sarah

Heat reclamation systems do exist. They really need installing as a new build but there may well be after market systems out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Reed View Post
    I have often thought that. We spend a fortune pulling heat out of the house with one unit and next to it stands a second unit pushing heat into the pool. Why can't the two be combined. I realise that the two are not always both working - mid winter and mid summer, but a lot of the time we have both on. Could the heat taken from the house not be diverted into the pool somehow ? rather than just lost to the atmosphere.

Sue

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orchid70 View Post
    Is it true that if the temperature is too hot, it turns the pool green?
    It's very unlikely!

Pools regularly sit at well over 90 degrees all day long through the summer and nobody worries about them turning green.

It's only when people start talking about pool heating and temperatures that this question / worry / non-fact shows up.

Personally I've always thought that it is just an excuse used by anyone who doesn't want to accept the cost of heating their pool to a comfortable temperature.
    Steve

During our stay in june/july this year we enjoyed cooling down in the pool without the heating being on ...but once again that was a personal thing . We did ask the managment company why the jacuzzi was not working and they told us that for the jacuzzi to work we had to put the pool heating system on (and that would cost $12 a day) ......on a purely personal basis we decided against it as the pool was just grand without the heating being on.
    Last edited by seanchai; 02-10-2013 at 14:08.

On a loosely related topic, what type of pool heaters do you all use?

Heat pump/gas?

I was veering towards a heat pump, but as they take longer to warm up, I wonder if a gas heater makes more sense for a short-term-rental property? That way it can be turned on the day before the guest arrives and the pool will be warm the next day. The only way I can see a heat pump system being beneficial is when it's used in conjunction with a solar system and is left on all the time on 'solar backup' duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    That way it can be turned on the day before the guest arrives and the pool will be warm the next day.
    I have a gas heater and it only takes around 5 hours to heat up. We generally have it on from November to May and rarely turn it off, but if I do need to switch it off for any reason, I can turn it on the morning of a guests arrival knowing it will be toasty warm by the time they check in that afternoon.
    Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post

I was veering towards a heat pump, but as they take longer to warm up,
    Don't really know where you got that info. from ???
    It totally depends on the BTU output of the device !!!
    Our 120K BTU heatpump pool heater will raise a ( 30 x 15 ) pool 15f in about 6 hours at about 1/4 the relative cost electricity / gas &, despite rumours to the contrary, works down to 45f.
    To reap any benefit from a gas heater, you'd have to be on mains gas (not delivered propane which could run out during a guest's stay).
    Do bear in mind that either device will only function whilst the pool pump is in operation....

When we had our villa the only 'green pool' problems we had were after sustained periods of heavy rain that upset the chemical balance. A quick 'shock' by the pool company sorted it out in hours.

Having the pool heated was never a problem.
    Graham