Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trust in villas

Florida Newbie

Trust in villas

Hi

has anyone ever booked a villa on the website (edited - link not working and not allowed) I usually use villas from here but there was nothing suitable for the time we plan to go so I had to look elsewhere. Is there anyway I can check a villa is licensed to be let in florida ? All difficult when you don't get the villa address before paying a deposit as no place I've ever stayed at before has given the address beforehand.

The website seems like any other but you are paying direct with the owner. Are they expected to give us forms to fill out as I haven't been asked to fill out any yet whereas in the past I've had to sign lots of paperwork. Not sure what owners are legally required to do so if anyone know that would be useful.

Any information would be helpful.
    Last edited by carolmc; 01-10-2013 at 07:15. Reason: links not permitted

You could ask the owner for the phone number/ email of their Management Company and you could then ask questions such as how long they have been the MC ?, does the owner keep the villa in a good state of repair ? and they should know if the villa is licensed as the licence must be displayed in the villa.
    I would also recommend you pay via a credit card.

Sue
    Gerry and Sue

Good advice from Sue - do your usual checks and build a rapport with the Owner...the site doesn't matter as much as the actual Owner.

There are lots of websites on the internet and most of them are just 'advertising' sites, so they are all much of a muchness. Some sites do go that extra length to give guests a little security, such as this site. Every home advertised on here has to be verified every six months, so that at least gives you the peace of mind the villas are genuine. There are some beautiful homes to choose from and the benefit of this site is that the owner may be active on the forums, so you can chat and get to know them through posts on here, as well as privately. Have a look at the homes using the 3 links above.

If you explain your concerns to a villa owner, I am sure they would be happy to work with you to put your mind at ease and prove they are operating legally. There are links they can send you to verify their license but, like you have found, some are reluctant to give the address prior to payment.

We've had several guests who have been wary of booking online and have sent them details of our management company so they can ask them questions, plus contact details for recent guests so they can chat with them. As already mentioned, just build up a good relationship with your owner - communication is the key.

You should be provided with a contract to sign to say you are in agreement with the lease/terms and conditions - this will protect both you and the villa owner should there be any issues and I wouldn't advise renting a home that doesn't provide you with at least a basic agreement. The villa owner will also need the name of every guest that will staying on the property.
    Sarah

Gold 5 Star Member
    I would agree with the above and strongly advise you don't hand over any money without signing some form of terms and conditions. For exampple what are cancellation conditions should it arise? You need to ensure that you are protected as well as the owner for any event that might happen. We say to our Guests that trust is a 2 way street and whilst they are trusting us with their holiday and hard earned cashe we are entrusting to them a home worth hundreds of times more than that so both sides need to be aware of the rights, responsibilities and respect that goes along with that. I would never present someone with terms that I would find too onerous to sign myself when renting but equally I won't rent a place that doesn't have at least a basic outline of what I am receiving for my money etc. as if the worst comes to worst I have no evidence to folow any claim that it may have been misrepresented of find extra charges I wasnt aware of.
    Babblin Boo

Gold 5 Star Member
    I would agree with Steph above, great advice
    Jan&Steve

The advice above is excellent advice. Hope you get what you are looking for and my first point of looking would definitely be this site where all villa owners are verified and have to produce documentation to prove they still own the property.

Florida Chatterbox mary and colin's Avatar
    Good advice giving by everyone for you, hope it helps with your search.
    I noticed you said you normally book from this site but there was nothing suitable, have you tryed all three sites or just this one? Villas are verifyed on all three sites. Not sure when your dates are but i am sure there could be some of interest for you.

Good luck with your search as said communication and trust both ways is the key.

Mary

I looked elsewhere for a villa once... I got scared and run back to this site!

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    I looked elsewhere for a villa once... I got scared and run back to this site!
    Lol me too