Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello, my name is Kate

Florida Newbie

Hello, my name is Kate

Hi, I was a member of OV several years ago, , but for one reason or another have not been on the site for some time. I tried to log in with my original details, but its been so long, it wouldn't let me! anyway, ive re-registered, so hello to everyone. My name is Kate and I live in Warwickshire. Over the years we've been to Florida many times, and always had a fantastic time. As my DH and I are approaching retirement we are considering buying a property in Florida. Still so unsure about so many things, but we're off to the NEC on Saturday to see 'A Home in the Sun' exhibition. Should get lots of advice, plus on this forum I know there are many home owners who would give advice too. Looking forward to reading the various threads . Just off to get a cuppa and I'll be back soon!

Florida Expert gail and david roberts's Avatar
    Warm welcome Back Kate , I'm sure you will find lots on here about owning a villa in sunny Florida
    Gail

Florida Newbie
    Thanks Gail and David, I'm sure I will

Romford, UK & Highgate Park, Davenport, Florida
    Hi Kate, welcome back. Enjoy APITS
    Sandra

Hi Kate, welcome

Sue
    Gerry and Sue

First of all please buy a sack of salt and a shovel before you go to the show. (pinches of salt will not be good enough)

These shows are there to get you to buy and the picture they paint of second home ownership glosses over all the issues that will cause you work, time and worry.

Now having been a home owner for 20 years lifes not all bad. I have just retired but used this as an excuse to pass on the villa to a younger generation in the family.

Running a villa is pretty much a second job. Anyone who says that you can hand it over to a management company and just bank a cheque each month is not telling you the truth. You will need to spend a lot of time marketing and replying to requests for quotes. You will need to find good web sites that you can advertise on and that are not filled with people who think the lower they price the villa the more business they will get. Also good web sites like this one are full and have a long waiting list.

If companies tell you that they have a tie up with a travel agent/airline this is same as 10 matadors waving red capes in your face. The only people who make money out this arrangement are the management companies and the agents. After everyone has had their fees you will not be left with enough to cover your other bills and upgrades.

Upgrades/maintenance are a constant fact of life. You said you enjoyed visits to Florida well these will now change. You will spend time visiting DIY shops doing lots a jobs and extra cleaning around the villa, also replacing those items that get worn in general use.

OK, that some of the down side, however:-

There are a lot of good things, talking to new people, explaining all the things that they can do on their holiday and reading the wonderful comments that most guests leave after a stay in your home.

I have been through the whole process from where you are now to having passed the villa on. I'm glad I did it but also glad that now I do not need to.

On balance I would say that if you are approaching retirement then you should enjoy it. Hire one of the villas from here and enjoy all the hard work put in by the owner.

Regards Dave
    Last edited by DaveL; 16-09-2013 at 15:59.
    Dave Lewis

Welcome back Kate.

Dave raises some excellent points but from your post I it is uncertain as to whether you will be trying to rent your villa out, or just use it yourselves. If it is the latter then fine, if it is the former, take good heed of what Dave has said and don't expect bookings will be easy because they won't. There is also a lot of extra expense if you are intending to rent, e.g. advertising, website, Licences, taxes, Management Company, the list is endless.

Just take any rose coloured specs off whilst visiting the Show. They will more than likely tell you what you want to hear if they see a potential buyer coming their way, and not necessarily go into the many pitfalls. Tread carefully and enjoy reading things on this informative forum.

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    Hi Kate and welcome.
    Lyn

Super Moderator
    Hi Kate Welcome back and enjoy the exhibition. I am sure that if you want to discuss anything after your visit there will be several owners who will happily answer any questions.

Florida Junior
    Welcome back!