Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello, my name is Kate

Gold 5 Star Member
    Kate - You need to put your plans back by a week. A Place In The Sun is at the NEC September 27 - 29.

I'm hoping to have a tootle down there myself on the Saturday so if you want to say hello over a cuppa drop me a message and we'll see if we can sort it.
    Steve

Hi Kate Dave does raise some very valid points and please only go into villa ownership only if your prepared to work hard and get all your own bookings!! do not rely on a Management company, maybe buy a resale home with at least 20 weeks bookings in place, this should give you a heads start.

Florida Newbie
    Thanks to you all for the welcomes. Dave and SDJ, thank you for your words of wisdom, I know you are both talking from experience. We will certainly be aware of the sales pitches that will go on this weekend!!
    No doubt we will come back completely befuddled by the whole thing, but as you have said, there will be several owners on here that will help answer any of our questions.
    Thanks again.

Florida Newbie
    Thanks Steve! for some reason I was convinced it was this weekend! I would have looked a right Charlie lol

Welcome back Kate. I'm on the hunt for a Florida property too - I'd be happy to compare notes if you'd like.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Welcome back Kate and having owned for 10 years, having had the rose tinted glasses removed very quickly after our purchase we can agree with what Dave and Sandra have said. Even if you do keep it for your sole use, utilities in the US are expensive, you will need to have a gardener, pool man, house insurance, electricity, the air con running at a low rate constantly and a property manager who can keep an eye on things for you and that will cost quite a bit of money. We love our home, and want to use it for retirement, but we were sold with guarantees from the agent but they are worthless no matter how they airbrush or gloss over the guarantees. It is only the hard work, commitment, continual spending on the villa that has allowed us to be successful and have new and repeat guests year on year. I know looking back, if we had not been so hands on and left it to our "then" property managers we would have been bankrupt within a short space of time. Enjoy the show and as Dave said take a sack of salt. I am sure other owners would say the same with their hard work, commitment and continual maintenance has made them successful rather than an agent providing a worthless guarantee.

It definitely isn't for the faint hearted that's for sure.

Good luck. Regards Jan
    Jan&Steve

Hi Kate welcome back x
    Liesa

Florida Newbie
    Thanks Jan will certainley give this venture a lot of thought
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveandJan View Post
    Welcome back Kate and having owned for 10 years, having had the rose tinted glasses removed very quickly after our purchase we can agree with what Dave and Sandra have said. Even if you do keep it for your sole use, utilities in the US are expensive, you will need to have a gardener, pool man, house insurance, electricity, the air con running at a low rate constantly and a property manager who can keep an eye on things for you and that will cost quite a bit of money. We love our home, and want to use it for retirement, but we were sold with guarantees from the agent but they are worthless no matter how they airbrush or gloss over the guarantees. It is only the hard work, commitment, continual spending on the villa that has allowed us to be successful and have new and repeat guests year on year. I know looking back, if we had not been so hands on and left it to our "then" property managers we would have been bankrupt within a short space of time. Enjoy the show and as Dave said take a sack of salt. I am sure other owners would say the same with their hard work, commitment and continual maintenance has made them successful rather than an agent providing a worthless guarantee.

It definitely isn't for the faint hearted that's for sure.

Good luck. Regards Jan

Florida Newbie
    Thank you to everyone for advice, I have replied but my replies are not on the thread so I must be doing something wrong!! just din't want everyone to think I was ignoring them!

Hi If anyone would like to have a chat and listen to some good advice about buying a property then please feel free to contact me through this site.

Regards,

Mark.