Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Which community to choose with children? Help!

Florida Newbie

Which community to choose with children? Help!

Hi

Complete newbie, we are lucky enough to be going to Orlando next summer. I have been lurking around on the forum trying to pick up bits of information, and I think we're getting there, but I am a bit stuck on all the different communities and which one is best for our family. 2 adults and two children who will be 7 and 4. In between all the trips to parks I would like a couple of chill out days. So we would prefer a community with a swimming pool and a playground. Not particularly worried whether it's gated or not. Er, is there be anything else I should be considering when choosing the community?! Any suggestions as to which community would be great, then I can start looking at which villa to book.

Very excited, the last time I went was in 1987 as a 7 year old! Am sure this will not be the last question I ask - very glad to have found this forum.

Thanks all!

Gold 5 Star Member
    I have to confess to some bias but we have many guests repeat visits who love our community at Hampton Lakes. As well as the Community pool we have 2 toddler tot lots and tennis, basketball and sand volleyball courts, all perfect for spending some special time with mum and dad. The smaller children are often quite happy just taking a bucket and spade and digging in the volleyball court when it isn't being used.
    With the north eat regional park and Lake Louisa (and Kissimmee Lakefront park) not too far away "rest" days don't have to be "I'm bored" days
    Many homes like ours now have games room at the house to help occupy the children.
    If you put what things youu would like on your wish list in the comments on the enquiry form. Sometimes it will help to give you a feel for what is availabe and decide what are the most important factors that will help make your holiday even more special.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Chatterbox
    The first time we visited we stayed at Windsor Palms. Very good for kids of all ages with communal pool, playground, games room, shop and cinema room but.......never used it apart from a quick visit to the games room!! We had pool, games room and big tv in the villa so no point, plus we were that busy that we didn't have time. Chill out days were spent in our own pool and games room. That was a gated community.

Since then we have stayed at highlands Reserve and did not miss not having any of the facilities that Windsor Palms offered.

Our 4th time in 5 years this October sees us staying at Crescent Lakes which is un gated, no communal pool, no shop, no games room and no cinema so you can see we don't miss the facilities or indeed choose communities with these features.

If those things are important to you though then i can recommend Windsor Palms.....and it's very close to the 192 and Disney.

Welcome to the forum too.
    Garry Pullan

Florida Savvy
    We have stayed at emerald island resort also,gated community,has lots for kids to do also and one of the closest community's for getting to world drive...their is a link on here showing all the community areas .

To be honest, you are unlikely to make much, if any, use of any community facilities. With children of 7 and 4, probably much of your time will be at the parks (which is usually fairly exhausting) and when you get back to the villa, you will have your own pool to fall into and relax on the days off. Why would you then want to go to a community pool? Most villas will have a games room for the kids in the garage, plus a huge TV etc, so they rarely want anything more.

More important in our opinion is the location (our preference is champions gate/ronald reagan parkway area), the cleanliness and quality of furnishings etc in the villa, and the privacy of the pool area. Some, but certainly not all, of the older communities (and properties) can look a bit "tired". Having said that, the most tired community and villa will probably still be a much better experience than being stuck in a hotel on International Drive with no car.

In many years of bookings, we have never had any problems with villas from this site. All have invariably been clean and well looked after and our quibbles have been minor (usually pool heating issues). The same cannot be said (looking at the reviews) of many other sites. When you find a villa, search the owners' names on the internet, the villa name, location etc. Very often owners will have their villa on several different sites and you can find reviews and experiences which aren't necessarily shown on this site.
    Tonish