Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seems like I was wrong - ideas please

Florida Chatterbox

Seems like I was wrong - ideas please

At the end of our last trip to Orlando - Easter 2012, I said that I thought that would be the last for a while as my children were not particularly keen and after 8 visits decided that they had enjoyed some of our holidays in other parts of the world more. We had spent a couple of years living in China which meant we were able to travel across asia.

So this year we had a new year trip snowboarding in Switzerland, spent a week in an expensive but strange hotel in Tenerife (honestly I thought I was on holiday in the Trafford centre as it was all marble, fountains and oversized furniture!), had our main holiday touring British Columbia in an enormous RV (at least it felt enormous when we picked it up, at the end of 18 days with a 14 and 12 year old I as longing for some proper doors and space!) and my wife and I are sneaking a cheeky week in Barbados next month (thanks grandma for coming to teensit for the week). All of them great, but for me none quite as much fun as a fortnight in Orlando.

The good news is that I have managed to talk them all into an early Easter trip to my favourite place next year. The children finish early for the holiday so we are off from the 27th March - 12th April. I have just booked an amazing looking villa overlooking the golf course at Reunion (of the places we have stayed this was by far our favourite). This time we will be taking Lynn's mum and dad as well and we are being joined there by Lynn's sister and husband who live in California and her niece will also be flying down to spend a few days with us along with her Fiancee. So a full house.

I am after a bit of advice. Last trip the children were particularly fed up with the theme parks and we spent a couple of days at some of the state parks (their suggestion) which we all enjoyed a lot. So part of the deal is that we will spend limited time (I have not pushed for a definition of the word limited in case the really mean next to none) in the parks. There is something really wrong when mum and dad want to and the kids don't! I have been picking up ideas of other things to do instead, but would welcome your thoughts about the most amazing places you have spent time outside of the parks. We have decided not to stay elsewhere in Florida as with us all arriving from different parts of the world we wanted to keep the same base, so it would need to within a sensible distance.

I find that excited feeling developing again, something I really don't get so strong for a holiday anywhere else.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I like Kelly Park Rock springs and tubing down the river and really want to go to Ichetuknee Springs (hopefully might get there next year with 2 drivers. The good thing is they are old enough for you to go to the parks by yourself now as well
    Babblin Boo

Super Moderator
    I know you said you had done some of the State parks but at the end of March the manatees are still sometimes at Blue Springs State Park or at De Leon Springs not only do they have the eco boat trips but our 'boys' enjoy cooking their own pancakes on the griddle at the Sugar Mill restaurant at De Leon Springs park. If they like zoos or aquariums then Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa is a good zoo and the Tampa Aquarium is also a good day out and we also went on the trip around the bay and saw some dolphins.

We have just had friends return with older teenagers who enjoyed Fantasy of Flight and the zip at Gatorland whilst the parents enjoyed the more sedate train rider
    Last edited by Jill; 08-09-2013 at 13:11.

Florida Chatterbox
    We have been to Orlando a couple of times when we decided not to do the parks and to be honest most of the time was spent taking in the sun and lounging by the pool in the day and eating well at night. We did however visit the Homosassa state park that we enjoyed very much and day trips to MT Dora and Cape Canaveral. Not done it ourselves but Boggy Creek Airboats and Gatorland get good write ups.

Celebration is a good place to visit & chill out. Fantasy of flight air museum is a place we have passed on our way down to Marco many times without ever stopping but friends told us this year it was worth a visit

Florida Chatterbox
    Tarpon Springs is nice. You can take a shorter boat trip, where a diver dives from the boat looking for sponges. This is done with pre-Jacques Cousteau equipment, i.e. an air-line, re-enforced 'wet' suit, weights, metal shoes & a screw-on helmet. Something a bit different. You can take a longer boat trip to see dolphins etc., although we saw them just a few feet away from us while we were swimming at Indian Rocks Beach.
    Hazel.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I don't have much to offer in the way of suggestions but it's good to see you back Fraser. It'll be interesting to see if you think things have changed much in Florida (and on OV) since you were last here.

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by steph_goodrum View Post
    I like Kelly Park Rock springs and tubing down the river and really want to go to Ichetuknee Springs (hopefully might get there next year with 2 drivers. The good thing is they are old enough for you to go to the parks by yourself now as well
    Especially with the Grandparents there as well

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    Have never been but there is a place called Fantasy Surf on Poinciana Blv. that looks like a place teenagers would like. My son would have loved it, still would and he is 26 now.
    Lyn

Florida Chatterbox DisneyFunVilla's Avatar
    I'm a big fan of the dinner shows. My family has been to a few and the food has always been fantastic. My favorite was Medieval Times, but everyone else in the family, wife, mother, two teenage boys, and brother all preferred Sleuths.
    Mike

How about a day at Daytona. You can visit the Racecourse which I believe is really good and then finish up driving your car onto the beach and have a picnic and a swim in the ocean.