Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Esta

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brownm View Post
    What about passports my passport runs out March 2014 and we are thinking of travelling to Orlando November do you need to have 6 months left on the passport or is this not the case?
    It was the case a few years ago but now, as long as the passport runs to at least the day of departure. you're OK.

I think it must be day of arriving back in the U.K. thanks for the update.

Florida Chatterbox
    See this from US Border Control ...

http://bit.ly/passport_expiry

"Visitors traveling to the U.S. are required to be in possession of passports that are valid for six months beyond the period of their intended stay in the U.S. For a list of countries exempt from the six month rule, see Six Month Club. (Six Month Club validity on your passport does not apply to U.S. Citizens returning to the United States.)"

The UK is a member of the Six Month Club so you only need your passport valid until the day of your departure.

David

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLB-GOUROCK View Post
    See this from US Border Control ...

http://bit.ly/passport_expiry

"Visitors traveling to the U.S. are required to be in possession of passports that are valid for six months beyond the period of their intended stay in the U.S. For a list of countries exempt from the six month rule, see Six Month Club. (Six Month Club validity on your passport does not apply to U.S. Citizens returning to the United States.)"

The UK is a member of the Six Month Club so you only need your passport valid until the day of your departure.

David
    Be aware though that it may cause you delays if you don't have 6 months. When we went the Christmas before last, after it was announced we didnt need 6 months we delayed renewing his passport which was due to expire in the Feb. We had even got the application form filled in online and sent and then realising we would have to get a new Esta, as we weren't planning to travel till the July after would have lost almsot 6 months of the 2 year validity. We went into MCO and the IO noticed there was not 6 months, we said we swa that you didnt need it, "That's right " he said you don't, but if you don't have 6 months I have to send you to secondary questioning, so hubby got taken in there and he said the man was really obnoxious as though he was trying to catch him out. In future we will make sure there is 6 months left. We do have friends ho have both gone into Miami with less than 6 months and had no problem, just as many wont at MCO I'm sure but it can and does happen.
    Babblin Boo

David and Steph thank you so much for all your advice, I think I will renew them now to be on the safe side.

Regards,

Mark.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Not sure how long it is but I think there"s a 'credit' for some of the unused period of the old passport if you renew early so that looks a good decision.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 24-08-2013 at 05:35.

Florida Savvy
    Quote Originally Posted by Katys Grandad View Post
    Not sure how long it is but I think there"s a 'credit' for some of the unused period of the old passport if you renew early so that looks a good decision.
    I believe you can get up to 9 months transferred from your old passport to your new one, so if you have 9 unexpired months, your new passport will have 10 years and none months validity.
    Scorpio

I believe that your British passport needs have 3 months left on it after the date you leave the USA.

Roger

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogergood View Post
    I believe that your British passport needs have 3 months left on it after the date you leave the USA.

Roger
    It's all getting rather complex but I don't think that's correct. This is what GOV.UK has to say about US entry using the Visa Waiver Programme:

USA

Entry requirements

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. You don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 24-08-2013 at 12:00.