Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Oooh er--Summer Bay sinkhole

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Oooh er--Summer Bay sinkhole

Aug 12 (Reuters) - Dozens of guests at a Florida resort near Walt Disney World were safely evacuated in the middle of the night on Monday when a large sinkhole opened on the property, swallowing a three-story building.

"I was hearing popping noises and I was hearing people screaming and glass breaking. The building actually twisted and separated," Summer Bay Resort security guard Richard Shanley said. "It was like something from a movie."

Shanley was driving a golf cart on the Orlando-area resort's main boulevard when a family hailed him to say they heard popping sounds and that something was wrong.

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    It is really scary, these sink holes seem to be coming more frequent and getting close to our homes.
    Lyn

Florida Chatterbox
    Just had a look - the pictures are incredible.

I agree it seems to be happening more frequently although maybe it's just that we hear more about it now.

Poor guy was just swallowed up by one earlier in the year - never seen again. Pleased to read that such casualties are relatively rare but Summer Bay? Is this the Summer Bay at the end of the 192, near H27? Horrible thought.

Sinkholes are more common that we think.

Our friend had a sinkhole and it was over 12 months before he got his home back. It was practically rebuilt. I also know of 2 others in our local area which were not as drastic but nevertheless - sinkholes.

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Just had a look - the pictures are incredible.

I agree it seems to be happening more frequently although maybe it's just that we hear more about it now.

Poor guy was just swallowed up by one earlier in the year - never seen again. Pleased to read that such casualties are relatively rare but Summer Bay? Is this the Summer Bay at the end of the 192, near H27? Horrible thought.
    Yes it was that Summer Bay
    Lyn