Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Alamo at Orlando international airport. Full size SUV booked.

Florida Newbie

Alamo at Orlando international airport. Full size SUV booked.

Hello everyone.
    i have a question about contacting Alamo in advance before arrival.

Last year we flew in to Sanford airport and used Alamo for are car hire and when we got to the desk they explained they didn't have a Full size SUV ! and there was 7 of us in total.

The chap behind the desk took us out to the car park and pointed at white long minibus.... Of which we said NO way! Then he offered us a Lincoln continental (LOL) + one small car, again no chance that doubles. Are parking charges at the park + extra fuel costs for 2, in the end I had to claim a refund and get a full size SUV else where !!

Now my question is. I have booked full size 7 seater Tahoe with Alamo for this November and there is 7 of us again and I could really really do without the headache on day 1 of my holiday, is there anyway to contact them to make sure they don't give all the Tahoe away again, or even if I could contact the Alamo manager at MCO to make sure he keeps one to the side for us, I'm sure Alamo are great 99% of the time but we are on a later flight with Virgin and won't get there till mid evening and I'm worried I'm going to have a repeat of last time..

Thank you Paul

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    Paul

MCO airport have a good selection of cars. They are also joined up with National so the fleet is very good for choice. I have usually always booked a full size SUV. I have never not had a full size, Usually a Tahoe, but have had Chrysler Aspen, Ford Expedition as well. They normally bring them sound for you for the full size, as the standard and midsize can be chosen from the aisles.
    CERI

Like Ceri we've never had a problem getting a full size and we've booked them loads of times. There are 2 virtually identical lots (1 on each side of the airport) so if they haven't got a full size ask them to check the other lot and then bring it round for you - just politely and firmly stand your ground. I booked the smallest SUV when it was just myself and my son travelling and we arrived at just after midnight when there were virtually no cars in the lot. They tried to get me to take a minivan, which I declined, then they tried a Volvo estate, again I said I booked an SUV as I like being in an elevated driving position, I ended up with a brand new (30 miles on the clock) Ford SUV (full size) it was absolutely gorgeous!
    Caroline & Dave

Florida Newbie
    Thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply to me.
    It's a comfort to know that they are teamed up with national,and that there is a big selection,with also the possibility of getting one from the other side of MCO.

The selection of cars at Sanford was tiny and was first and last time i will be going to that airport,I normally fly with BA or Virgin who go into MCO,but I got a very cheap flight deal with Thomascook last year (never again) and I can see why it was cheap,but that's another story.

The years prior to my Thomascrook flight, I always flew in to MCO and I rented from Dollar and always got the car I asked for, but last year was my first experience with Alamo,and again it was at Sanford so I have no first hand experience with getting my car at MCO, so I'm hoping for a headache free trip in November.

Hi Paul,

We have booked full size SUVs with Alamo for collection at MCO and never had a problem. We often arrive on the later Virgin flight from Gatwick and all has been ok. We normally have a Tahoe but have had Expiditions and a couple of times Suburbans (longer version of Tahoe). We have also been lucky a few times over the years with upgrades to an Escalade and Navigator. I honestly don't think you will have a problem at that time of year. We regularly go out at the end of October early November and it's relatively quiet.
    Jim

I've had an issue with Budget not being able to supply an 8 seat SUV, but never Alamo.

Especially, as people tend to like taking SUVs, I've noticed the number of SUVs in the fleet seems to have increased in the past few years.

I doubt you'll have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    I've had an issue with Budget not being able to supply an 8 seat SUV, but never Alamo.

Especially, as people tend to like taking SUVs, I've noticed the number of SUVs in the fleet seems to have increased in the past few years.

I doubt you'll have a problem.
    I've had many problems with Budget in the past with SUVs. As we usually go for an indirect flight we arrive later than the Virgin ones, and always found that all the Expeditions and Tahoes were gone and kept being offered Jeeps, which don't have the same boot capacity. So whilst they were able to offer seven seats, you couldn't fit the suitcases in. We always had to upgrade. But Alamo have not had the same issue so we have used them regularly for the last few years. I daresay it changes all the time. It sounds like a good idea to email them beforehand, you might get lucky, but they absolutely will not guarantee a specific car for your arrival.
    Tonish

That's exactly the same issue I had. We came in on a connecting flight and their 8 seater(s) were gone. They offered us a Lincoln Town Car, which we ended up taking (as half our group were arriving in two days), but still had to wait 2.5hrs for the privilege with a toddler and a pensioner.

I phoned them a couple of times each day to find out if they had the right car in, they always said no until finally, they said they had one. When I arrived, they didn't know what I was talking about and I got quite angry with the attitude of the employee at the desk. When they finally dug up an Expedition, it was pretty murky on the outside and downright sticky on the inside. It was a really basic spec, unlike almost any other I'd seen on the road (or even later available for hire) - cloth seats, everything manual except the windows etc.

Four days into the hire, the service light came on and it began sounding really rough. I called them to exchange but they said they had nothing in - with the calamity it took to get this one, I took them at their word and stuck with it.

One of the worst rental experiences I've ever had.