Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Five Guys

Five Guys

For fans of Five Guys (probably the best US burger chain), good news! They are finally opening in the UK - in Covent Garden opening 4 July.

Let's hope they can replicate it properly. I shall be trying it out next week.
    Tonish

Super Moderator
    Thanks for posting the date - knew they were opening soon in Covent Garden but was not sure when. Guess Stuart will be looking to see if they will have the nuts.

Gold 5 Star Member
    They've really expanded at an amazing rate and seem to be everywhere in the US now. As good as I've had anywhere.

I hope we get a full review!!

We are staying in Covent Garden for a few days at the end of July so hopefully we will be able to give it a try [drinkpepsi]
    Wendy

Oh Lord, we'll find a way of ruining it! :s

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar
    OK, so what was the verdict?

Be interesting to see what they are charging as thy do a decent burger compared to the big chains.
    CDV

Sorry CDV, been too busy staring at screens to make the trip across town, but definitely plan to get there next week sometime, and I will let you know. I have a couple of colleagues who tried it and they were well impressed.
    Tonish

Finally made it on Saturday. Every time I have been past over the last few weeks it has either been too busy or I wasn't hungry. Anyway Mrs T and I happened to be in the area yesterday and tried it out.

Verdict? Don't go out of your way for this. They don't use the brioche bun, just the same old rubbishy sesame seeded baps McDonalds etc use, plus they (in true brit style) grossly overcook the patties. So what may well have been a decent burger, just tastes like the same old cardboard from everywhere else. Why the hell do they cook the life out of them? The fries were quite good, more like the ones in the States.

Otherwise it's quite a good spot, very clean, staff trying hard, and the salad in the burger was all fresh and crisp.

But very disappointing on the burger front. Cardboard.
    Tonish

My son and his girlfriend went on Friday night, they haven't tried Five guys in the US so didn't have anything to compare it to. They did say they felt it was a bit too similar to McDonalds to justify the prices, although they enjoyed it. They liked all the extra toppings but said for the money they'd probably prefer to go to Nando's or Pizza Express.
    Caroline & Dave

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonish View Post
    Finally made it on Saturday. Every time I have been past over the last few weeks it has either been too busy or I wasn't hungry. Anyway Mrs T and I happened to be in the area yesterday and tried it out.

Verdict? Don't go out of your way for this. They don't use the brioche bun, just the same old rubbishy sesame seeded baps McDonalds etc use, plus they (in true brit style) grossly overcook the patties. So what may well have been a decent burger, just tastes like the same old cardboard from everywhere else. Why the hell do they cook the life out of them? The fries were quite good, more like the ones in the States.

Otherwise it's quite a good spot, very clean, staff trying hard, and the salad in the burger was all fresh and crisp.

But very disappointing on the burger front. Cardboard.
    That is a shame. We still have not managed to get there and from your post do not think we will bother just stick to the US version.