Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Part Nine. Davenport

Florida Junior

Part Nine. Davenport

Day fourteen

Another pool morning and a trip out to Downtown Disney to purchase our Grandson a present. He has asked for some Lego and so we purchased him the new ‘Lone Ranger’ Lego, which is just out. Having Disney resident passes, we get a 10% discount in the Disney shops, which can work out at quite a saving.
    We then decided to go to the movies again, this time to see a movie of Jayne’s choice. She wanted to see, ‘The Internship’. A very funny film.
    I didn’t have any popcorn this time and when we left the cinema we were both a bit hungry and visited the Orlando Ale House for dinner. I went for the ‘35 Shrimp scampi’, which is sautéed in garlic sherry butter, served over linguini, together with two pieces of garlic bread. A Canadian chap I was talking to in the pool had recommended this to me. It was very nice. You don’t need any starters or desert with the portion size, believe me!

Day Fifteen

Up early today, as I wanted to get to Universal for my last go on the Transformers ride. We were on the road by 8.30am but oh dear, the I4 was clogged with traffic. As we moved along at a snail’s pace we came upon a small two-car damage only accident. I couldn’t believe it had caused so much chaos. Everyone was rubbernecking which added to the congestion.
    I gave up all hope of the transformers when we arrived at the park, it was packed. We managed a go on the Rip Rocket ride and asked if we could go on the front seat. A right pair of kids, it was worth it. Fantastic. I have ridden it a number of times but never in the front seat. That initial drop with nothing in front of you is awesome.
    We had a quick walk around and saw the ‘Transformer’ photo opportunity character that is located at the side of Mel’s Diner. I don’t know about the kids, but I thought he was a bit scary!
    I saw the Lucille Ball character for the first time too, she was very close to the real thing (not that I have ever met her).
    Suddenly the soundtrack of the ‘Despicable Me’ movie started up and out from the large doors came the motorised floats on which the characters stood. The new movie has just been/or just about to be released here and of course Universal are promoting it. I managed to get my photo taken with the main character ‘Gru’. It’s funny how you revert back to being a kid over here. To be honest it is the only way to be. If you are all stuffy, you will not enjoy it half as much. So get into the vibe and let your hair down!
    After a quick cup of coffee and a cake we left Universal and wondered over to Islands of Adventure. This park was also very busy and we decided to walk round it in an anti-clockwise direction, this time starting at ‘Seuss Landing’ and working our way round to Harry Potter. One tip for this ride (it is only a little bit of cheating!); walk past the entrance where the main queue is, and into the shop at the top keeping the fence to your left. The queue is really only for the lockers, which are inside the shop. Grab yourself a locker (this can save you 30 mins on a busy day) and then rejoin the queue inside. After you have ridden as a family try using the single rider entrance, it is clearly marked inside. To be honest you ride this by yourself anyway, although you sit in a row of four, you are seated in a small booth.
    We then went on the duelling dragons ride (which has been re-branded something else now), which had a 20 minute wait, but boy, it was nice to get out of the sun into the air continued queue. I forgot how good that ride was.
    Next was Jayne’s favourite ‘Jurassic Park’. I don’t know if it is something to do with coming from the Isle of Wight and its dinosaur background, but she really loves this ride. I wont go into detail about what happens but those of you who have ridden will know what a surprise you get!
    It was so hot we decided to give the ‘Popeye’ ride a go. I haven’t laughed so much in ages. It brings everyone together in the tub you ride in. As each person receives a good soaking.
    We squelched our way round the rest of the park and decided to go to ‘Margaretville’ and have some refreshments as we dried out sitting in the sun.

Then it was off to the ‘Mall at Millennia’ and again the car park was packed. We had to loiter and wait for a parking place. This is a very up market shopping mall with some of the big brands, Rolex, Channel, Tiffany and Bloomingdale’s. There are other shops of course, good old Abercrombie and Fitch, Tommy Bahamas and Hollister to name but a few. We had a walk around and got the grandchildren some t-shirt,s then popped into ‘The Cheesecake Factory’ for some dinner. Now I have always resisted going into this place (due to the wife and female members of my family always going on about it), but decided on this occasion to give it a try. I’m glad I did. Now the shrimp dish I had in The Orlando Ale House was great, but I ordered the ‘Cajun Jambalaya Pasta’ here and although not as big a portion as the Ale house, it was really, really nice and I would recommend it. The portion was reasonable in comparison with Jayne’s order of ‘Chinese Chicken Salad’, which was like a mountain. She asked for a box (doggie bag) and took two thirds of it home. The meal was very reasonably priced and I would go back again.
    Off we went again down the I4 and back to the condo. A glass of wine and another great day completed.

Day Sixteen

No Breakfast today. Still full from last nights visit to the ‘Cheesecake Factory’, also we are going to visit Manny’s tonight for dinner.
    We went down to the pool from 10am until about 3.30pm. A storm started to approach, so we went up to the condo. for a shower and to get changed. Then it’s off to Manny’s.

Those of you who don’t know who or what Manny’ is, it is what is called a ‘Chop House’ steak house to you and me.
    He (Manny, who I am told is Greek) started up with one restaurant, located just outside Haines City on the 27, which was so successful; I think he has two or three now in the area. A great atmosphere and usually a long wait to get a table. You can call ahead, which takes some time off the wait, but the average time when busy can be as long as an hour.
    Drivers beware, as there is a happy hour between 4 and 7pm and you get two drinks for one.
    I sat in there one night ear wigging an elderly gentleman who was dressed in cowboy hat and had a smooth Texan drawl, the server said to him “Did you enjoy your steak sir?” He said “Son that’s the best steak I’ve had in thirty years!” Now if that isn’t a recommendation I don’t know what is.
    We got there just after 5pm. The car park is quite empty which is very unusual. I dropped Jayne off (so that she could get us on the waiting list) whilst I parked. When I walked in Jayne was sitting at a table. I couldn’t believe it. Perhaps it was because it was a Thursday night, one of the nights there wasn’t a special on. It did liven up a bit though by the time we left. I had a large T-bone steak with fries and Jayne had salmon and baked potato, both of which were delicious.
    Manny’s serves up a complimentary salad and sweet rolls with cinnamon butter, which we find, is ample to fill an empty stomach. I have tried a starter before but it spoilt my main course (being too greedy!). The desserts are fantastic.

Suitably fed, its back to the condo for a good night’s sleep.

Terry

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    Love reading your reports, can't wait to get out there in October.
    Lyn

Indian ridge oak Florida , South Godstone
    Very interesting trip reports Terry, keep them coming!

Oh I am dreading you going home as I won't get my daily fix!!!

Did both of you get on to front row @ Rip ride Rockit? We asked before only to be told no, it's pot luck it seems. There's no front row queue either unlike other rollercoasters..

Great read thank you so much for taking the time to write -It has brightened up a dull Saturday morning in the UK
    Jan & Rob

Florida Junior
    Yes LFCGeorge we did ask. It wasn't that busy about a 20 minute wait. Jayne asked the man who says 'How many?' so it may be down to her accent or charm? He put us to the side. only took seconds to fill the cars as you know.
    Terry

Ah ok, must be the charm lol. Thanks Terry I'll try my luck in 3 weeks when I'm over but guaranteed queues of 45min+ during July so doubt it, just too busy..

Florida Junior
    I am still reading your TR and really enjoying them.

Enjoying all your trip reports Terry, have always said we would try the Cheesecake Factory but it is still on the "to do" list, keep the reports coming [msnsmile2]
    Wendy