Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Florida Road Trip 2014

Florida Junior
    Hi Dave,
    Sounds like a great trip. Just one thought before we moved out here full time we did the same thing only we always stayed in Orlando for the first week.
    The Wife and kids would go shopping and it gave us time to get into the groove for the first few days.
    Spend some time by the pool relax and get used to the heat and the sun.
    My tips for Daytona beach is not so good, Its one if not the only beach in Florida where you can drive on.
    Popular with younger Americans and a spring break destination.
    Best things to see Space shuttle and Daytona 500 car races.
    Love Miami. Atlantic sea can be rough and big waves but great night life, outside dining on A1A, people watching, Stay on the main streets,
    Hotels can be expensive.
    Florida Keys is also worth a visit but I think thats a whole other trip.
    Heading up the West coast Gulf coast.
    Naples is very posh. groomed and elegant. High end shopping.
    Sarasota, Siesta Key won the number 1 beach in the USA. For the beach part of your trip this is it, Pure white sand, Warm gulf waters much calmer than the East coast. Very laid back. Paradise! We traveled most of Florida and this is where we chose to live.
    Tampa is a city this could be the place to watch a game, Go online the find out whats going on.
    Have great trip. David.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3439.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3461.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	725Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3452.jpg 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	724Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3450.jpg 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	723

I agree with Ian in flying into Miami and perhaps staying for a few days, doing the Keys and as he says driving up through the Everglades.

Although it's quite a few years since we went to Miami we never had any problems and liked it a lot. But it mat have changed since then. Naples, Sarasota, Clearwater and Tampa which are on your list are all worth a visit.

I personaly feel you are trying to cram a lot into your 1st week. But then I'm getting on a bit
    Keith

Super Moderator
    Miami is not the place it used to be many years ago and it is now quite safe to visit. Our son studied at University of Miami and always used his roller blades or public transport to get round and was often out after dark. If you are flying in, or even if you are not, it is easy to get around on public transport which is much cheaper than in the UK. There are lots of places to visit and South Beach is not the only good beach in the area. Nearby Coconut Grove is also a lovely place to visit.

We often go to the sports matches including the college games and always ring the stadiums direct to get our tickets. The staff are always very helpful, have never paid a booking fee and we collect our tickets on arrival.

Our sons will still come to Florida with us if they get a chance and are now in mid to late 20's so depending on where you holiday you will probably have them with you for a few more years yet!

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Didn't think much of Daytona but you have to drive along the beach!! We stayed in Fort Lauderdale and went to see Diana Ross in concert-it was a lovely bright seaside town with sparkling white beaches

Florida Junior
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. Some massively useful information which will no doubt help to shape our plan further as we get further down the line (assuming I manage to succeed in robbing a bank without getting caught somewhere along the line!).

May reconsider the Daytona stop, feel easier about Miami and reinforced what I thought about the Gulf Coast.

I see the point about flying to Miami but prefer to fly from Newcastle (as the airport is 5 mins up the road) but that limits me to Sanford as the only available airport.