Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida Road Trip 2014

Florida Junior

Florida Road Trip 2014

So we're thinking about planning our next trip to Florida. My eldest will be 16 next year and I accept that it won't be long before the thought of going on holiday with your parents just 'isn't cool' so we thought about doing something a little special next year - funds permitting.

We thought about doing 3 weeks in late August and doing a weeks road trip and then back to Orlando for couple of weeks chill out and parks. Now we've done Orlando a few times previously so I'm quite clued up on where to go and what to do but I was after some advice on the 1st week road trip part.

My initial thoughts were something like:-

Day 1 - Arrive @ Sanford and drive up to Daytona and check into a hotel on the beach front
    Day 2 - Spend the day on Daytona beach
    Day 3 - Drive down the coast to Miami - check in to a hotel
    Day 4 - Spend the day in Miami
    Day 5 - Drive across to the gulf coast (Maybe Naples or Sarasota) - book into a hotel
    Day 6 - Spend the day in Naples or Sarasota
    Day 7 - Not sure, maybe spend the day in Clearwater or Tampa
    Day 8 - Drive to Orlando to a lovely booked villa from this website!
    Day 9 - 21 - Chill out and go to parks etc

What do you think? We've never been anywhere outside of Orlando?

Anyone spent time in Daytona? Is it worth going?

My wife really wants to go to Miami but I'm a bit less sure as I've heard some horror stories about crime and that its not safe to be out after dark?

Best place to stop on the Gulf coast?

Best hotels in any of the areas?

I would also love to take in either an NCAA or NFL football game - probably in either Miami or Tampa. Anyone done this before?

Really appreciate any advice or pointers that anyone has! Sorry for all the questions...

Dave

Dave, I have to warn you that your kids will never think it "isn't cool" to go on holiday with the parents - if you're taking them to Florida!!
    Dave.

Florida Expert
    Kirkintilloch, Scotland and Indian Creek, Kissimmee
    Dave, got to agree - the kids will ALWAYS want to go to Florida - both my sons - both in their 30s, partners and soon to be grandkids - still come with us! Your trip sounds good - but remember and find some interesting places like Boca Raton, Alligator Alley, Venice, etc., to stop off and have a meal or even spend some time on the beach - before you hit the main destinations. Miami is fine - as long as you keep to the tourist areas! You'll enjoy it I am sure!
    Jean

What about a trip down the keys well worth it in my opinion

Florida Junior
    Thanks for all the pointers already! I know you're probably right about the kids always wanting to come along. I was 17 when I first when to Florida with my folks, and went back with them 11 years later when I had family of my own. It's probably one of the few places where you can do that..

We do plan to take leisurely drives between hotels and stop off for food and sightseeing along the way as I'm sure there will be some spectacular scenery!

I did think about the keys but don't think I will have time with the current plan. We did originally think of doing 2 weeks road trip and a week in Orlando (and include the Keys) but I was worried that the kids might not fancy such extensive travelling and lack of villa/private pool.

Thanks again and keep the info coming!

If I was you I would fly into Miami and home from Orlando - easy and often cheaper to do. That would save some driving. We have been to Miami several times and it is fine as long as you are sensible - like most big cities there are some areas best avoided, but the tourist areas are fine. We love the south beach area with all the art deco buildings and the beach there is good too, lots of street cafes that do a cheap breakfast while you 'people watch' the traffic cruising on Ocean Drive.

We had a great trip last year flying to Atlanta and driving down from there via Pensacola (on the gulf) and then flying home from Orlando. BA fly direct to Atlanta.

Have fun planing

Sue
    Gerry and Sue

We weren't keen on Daytona, or any beaches on the Atlantic coast to be honest, but that's 20 years ago and I,m sure things have changed. Much prefer the gulf coast and liked to stay around Fort Myers so we could visit Sanibel and Captiva, again it's some time since we made the trip over that way and I'm sure someone will have more up to date info.
    Like Pam says The Keys are worth a visit but if you're heading to Key West it's a looooooong way, and not worth going for only a day!
    Never been to Miami, husband went to a conference in Miami Beach in April and has no desire to return, we love the same sort of holidays so I'll take his word for it!
    have fun whatever you choose to do!

Liz

Romford, UK & Highgate Park, Davenport, Florida
    We wasn't keen on the Atlantic coast either, when we left Daytona beach our feet were covered in black sand (I think it's due tothe fumes0.

The Gulf Coast beaches are where we head time and time again. Fort De Soto, Anna marie, Siesta Key, Brdenton, Sanibel, to name just a few.

Our boys are now 14, 18 and 21. The older 2 don't come every trip now, they didn't come last year but they are coming this year

Sandra
    Sandra

Florida Chatterbox
    Would agree with Sue. Fly into Miami, maybe spend a day in Miami Beach then drive down to the keys Key Largo/Key West. Then drive back up and take the Tamiami Trail across Southern Florida through the Everglades (some great air boat rides) and up the Gulf Coast. You can stop off at places like Naples, Sarasota, Clearwater Beach and then on to Orlando and fly home from Orlando.

You can easily fit all this in with 3 weeks and depending on what you want to do you could spend say 10 days on your Road Trip and then 11 days in Orlando or any combination that suits what you want to do.

Will be a great trip.

Ian

I agree with Ian, this is what we did in 2011. It was brilliant. The trip down the keys was beautiful and well worth stopping and exploring enroute. Loved the Tamiami Trail and Naples, Sarasota etc. Our only mistake was in journeying back to Miami Airport at the end of the holiday, we did this in 1 trip straight down the turnpike. When we do this journey again we will allow a couple of day for driving back and stay possibly in Coral Gables area.
    Jan