Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Part Seven Davenport

Florida Junior

Part Seven Davenport

Day Ten

I am getting the hand of this now and it is getting harder and harder to sit at the computer writing these reports! The more time spent in the sun the more chilled I’m becoming. It’s an effort to eat and drink.
    Anyway, another morning by the pool. This is getting to be the routine now due to the sky clouding over lunchtime. It doesn’t mean that it’s not sunny or hot just a respite from the fierce heat. There are a few showers and storms but they do pass very quickly (well mostly).
    I read some of the replies to my last report. I didn’t mean to offend any of our American cousins by mentioning the service they get in the US. It far exceeds anything we get in the UK, normally just get a few grunts from waiting staff these days. It was just that I thought over the last couple of years it seems more ‘impersonal’ as though taking/getting more money out of you was the ultimate aim and is not your comfort or pleasure. As someone mentioned it’s to do with taking money and commissions etc. Hope that explains it a bit better and I don’t get drummed out of the States!
    A fantastic morning of doing nothing. A light lunch in the condo and it’s off to the shopping Mall at the top of International Drive, or rather Jayne is getting dropped off for two hours whilst I go and explore that fantastic fantasy land called the ‘Bass Pro Shop’. What a place to look round, it must be the male equivalent of ‘Marks & Spencer’. If we had one of these at Bluewater, Lakeside or any of the other regional shopping centres, the husbands would have no problem with taking the wives/girlfriends shopping. Let me try to explain to those who have never been what it’s like. It is a superstore containing everything and anything to do with the outside living/adventure. There are massive boats outside of all descriptions for hunting, fishing and pleasure. To go with that, inside there is everything you could ever need to go fishing, hunting, camping or just for day to day pleasure.
    There are rows and rows and rows of fishing equipment including a shop within the place that deals with fly fishing only, and all the reels, lines and other gadgets that go with it. Also hunting regalia that wouldn’t look out of place on a Special Forces sniper. Talking of which, there is every type of gun, rifle, crossbow, bow & arrow and slingshot you could name including ammunition and other paraphernalia. Oh yes, and clothing, canoes, barbeque goods, meat mincers and vacuum packers (for that fresh deer/fish you just caught). Two hours in there soon passes and off I go to pick Jayne up. I should have said three hours in order to pay a visit to Ron Jon and the big Cowboy shop next door, never mind!!
    Off to Sweet Tomatoes, for dinner. Oh dear we forgot to upload our coupons and have to pay full price!
    A quick look around Super Targets and back for bed. Its hard work doing nothing.

Day eleven

Another morning in the pool. Then off to Islands of Adventure. Not as busy as I thought it would be for a Saturday. I have been told to always stay away from the parks on weekends. We both went onto the Hulk only a 10-minute wait, which was great. These days we usually go for the ‘single rider’ option. As we have been very lucky and have visited the parks numerous times, we just can’t be bothered to wait in order to ride together. The single rider lines are much quicker and they are used to fill in the empty chairs, for example when there are four seats per ride and only a family/party of three, a single rider will fill in the gap. Very good system and worth looking out for on most of the rides including Harry Potter. It is sometimes hard to spot, but ask the assistants and they will direct you.
    We had a walk round the perimeter of IOA and then we left the park and popped into ‘Margaretville’ for dinner. We both had ‘Cheeseburgers in Paradise’ and then it was off to Universal for the big concert ‘Earth Wind & Fire’
    We had a ride on the Mummy and I noticed that the ‘Transformers ride’ had opened officially now, and the queues were massive I’m glad I rode it last week. I would suggest getting to the park very early to save queuing.
    We then made our way over to the stage area, which was filling quite fast. The time was 7.30pm and the show was due to start at 8pm. What a fantastic show. The three original members did most of the singing and the lead singer Phil Bailey, sounded just like he did on the original records. They have been together for 41 years but sounded just as fresh. They started the set with ‘Boogie Wonderland’ and finished with ‘September’. Jayne and I came out of there walking on air. Flipping heck, it was great to get back in the car and sit down though!
    We had planned to visit either Anna Maria Island on the west coast or Cocoa Beach on the east coast Sunday morning, but after waking up late we did neither.

Terry
    Last edited by jantel; 23-06-2013 at 20:27.

Crikey, Earth Wind & Fire, that must have been fantastic. Was that a fluke or did you plan your day to watch them? EWF greatest hits is permanently in my car in case I fancy a blast of "In the Stone" or "Fantasy" to blow the cobwebs away.
    Dave.

I'm thoroughly enjoying reading about your adventures, and you've given me a few ideas for our next trip!
    Caroline & Dave

love it Terry keep it coming... should scribble it down roughly in a writing pad and just do it when ur home... thanks for taking the trouble to do this tho Terry really enjoyable xx
    Liesa