Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Part Six Davenport

Florida Junior

Cool Part Six Davenport

Day Nine

That was a really heavy nights sleep, I think I’m in the sleep pattern now.
    A nice relaxing day today. A light breakfast of homemade smoothes and off to the pool. The morning is very hot, must be in the high 80’s again with not much cloud, but that will change later I’m sure. This time of year, which is of course is hurricane season, you can expect rain most afternoons. It’s all to do with the sea breezes from both coasts pushing the weather into the middle section of Florida (so I’m told!). That doesn’t bother me in the slightest, although the temperature can drop a bit, but it is still hot and the storms can come and go in minutes.
    A few hours of floating about on my little pool chair (which I purchased in Targets three years ago, best thing I ever bought), covered in sun factor 50, I am as happy as anyone can be. This is the life. I haven’t burnt this visit, which is a first. I think I have finally nailed it. Banana boat lip balm (multiple applications) and this new spray on ‘No-Ad’ suntan lotion is great. I should think it would be great for kids. Although it is really thick and it takes a lot to get it off, it does the job.

Back up to the Condo. for lunch which consisted of a nice tuna salad sandwich and we are off to Downtown Disney. We parked in the normal place (near Disney Quest, never have a problem with spaces it you arrive early) and off to the AMC cinema. I love the pictures in America, such an experience. I know some people might say you are wasting time when you could be in the parks, but I must say it is good fun. The price of tickets is about $12 each, but we get a discount with our Florida Residents Disney passes.
    Having handed your tickets over inside to the assistant you are confronted by the sweets and drinks. There are about six sizes of popcorn to choose from but you must remember that the popcorn here is salty, but you can pour melted butter over it to your hearts content. There are several sizes of drink cups/buckets to choose from. Having paid you are given an empty cup/bucket to take over to the soda fountains. You can have straight flavours like normal coke/pepsi to a mixture of hundreds of different drinks, and of course ice. On into the theatre, and the film we decided to watch today is Star Trek. I know it is out in the UK and has been for some time, but I never seemed to have the time to watch it.
    What a fantastic film it was. They also showed a trailer for the latest Johnny Depp film ‘The Lone Ranger’. I think this is going to be a mega mega success!! ‘Hi Ho Silver and away’
    On exiting the cinema, we found that the heavens had opened up and we had completely missed the storm. Didn’t hear a thing inside the cinema (mind you the sound was really loud, I love it. You don’t have to worry about the neighbours like you do at home with the surround sound).
    We walked further into Downtown Disney towards the market place and stopped to watch performing arts on the stage. This consisted of several schools visiting the area and showing off their skills in a free public show. These shows are on most days and each school has a time slot during the course of the day. A quick visit to one of the vast shops to buy my grand- daughter a ‘Bullseye’ horse toy (from Toy story), a pair of Mickey earrings and it’s back to the car.

Where to eat tonight? There are so many choices it really is hard to decide. We finally agree to give the ‘Texas Road House’ a go and arrive to find there is a small wait of about 10 minutes. That’s ok we can spend time trying to empty the vast barrel of roasted in shell peanuts that are next to the door. Looking at the floor, lots of people have also tried. All to do with the ambience of the place. Next to the welcome desk is the biggest barbeque grill I have ever seen. It’s the prize in a free draw (which I enter), a good way of getting your email for mail shots! If I win I would have to hand it over to our American friends, as I haven’t got a garden/yard. Don’t feel sorry for me, I prefer to sweep the balcony, which takes seconds, rather than clean a barbeque!

The vibrating pager goes off and we are shown to our seats. The server is very polite and gets our drinks before we make our order. He is a little surprised that we didn’t want an appetiser (starter), but the hot sweet bread rolls and cinnamon butter is enough for us. I choose a sirloin steak, shrimp, Caesar salad and fries covered with cheese and bacon bits. Jayne had a veggie plate, which consisted of a bowel of chilli, jacket potato, corn and a salad. I had a large glass of draught beer and Jayne had a raspberry iced tea. Just to give you some idea of cost it came to $38 + tip.
    The servers gave everyone in the restaurant a quick line dance during the meal and all in all a very nice meal. Not as good as the Orlando ale house though, in my opinion of course.

I do believe that there should be two types of service over here. American service and British service. The server must have asked us at least ten times if everything was all right?, did we want anything else?, did we want more drinks? Then the floor manager asked us, if everything was ok?
    I have this problem in the shops as well. 'I popped into 'Bestbuy' (electronic store) the other day to kill a few minutes whilst Jayne was in 'J C Penny' clothes shopping. I must have been asked by every staff member in the shop (and they seemed to outnumber the shoppers 3 to 1), if they could help me, if I had any questions to just ask them? All very polite, but I was just killing time and being nosey.
    Jayne over heard some American ladies talking about service in stores. One said she would never go to a store where the staff didn't approach her and offer their assistance. Could this be due to the British reserve of sorting things out ourselves not wanting assistants saying "Suits you sir!" all the time?
    I know Americans want and expect this sort of pampering, but me, I just want to get on with my meal/shopping. If I wanted anything I would call him/her over. Simples!

Back to the condo and time to start this report. I can’t believe a week has gone already.

Terry

Florida Chatterbox
    Great report Terry.

We like the Texas Roadhouse but we also like the Orlando Ale House, in fact we like most places. We also like to go to the AMC Cinema at Downtown Disney as well. One time by mistake we ended up in the dining cinema which was a pleasant experience.

Can't wait for the next one - it's like being there, and I wish I was. Only another 138 days to wait.

Florida Chatterbox DisneyPrincess's Avatar

Part Six Davenport

Another great report!

[clap] keep them coming.
    Jan

like you Terry, I hate it when people 'bug' me when I am trying to browse, there's nothing worse than having someone follow you around and try and 'help' I guess they are only trying to earn their commission but it just makes me turn around and leave the store!
    loving the reports, don't want you to come home!

Liz

Florida Junior
    I am a american and can't stand it when the server keeps coming over to the table to see if we a alright. I can't stand sales people following me around in a store as well. I usually leave when that happens.

When I used to work in retail, I remember an American colleague would always try to coax me into approaching each customer in the showroom and asking if they needed any help. Even though i was only sixteen (and he had a marketing degree), I couldn't bring myself to take his advice. I gingerly hinted at the differences between USA and UK culture and that the typical UK customer wouldn't appreciate that.

Neither of us really budged and both adopted our own approach - some customers preferred his and some mine.

...I still think more preferred mine though

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    I don't mind them coming over to me once and asking if I need any help then saying "just give me a call if you need anything" but I then want to be left alone, the problem is there colleagues come over as well and that's when I leave.
    Lyn