Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Part Five Davenport

Florida Junior

Part Five Davenport

Day Seven

We were both up at about 7am today. Jayne made breakfast, which consisted of a bacon and egg roll. Don’t know what it is but the eggs over here are so tasty. It might just be me I don’t know, but if any of the readers think the same could you please let me know.
    After packing the overnight bag we were on our way and decided to fill up with petrol before the trip. For those who don’t know, over here you can pay at the pump with a credit card (like at home), if you choose to pay by cash you need to pay the cashier first and tell them which pump you are on. We decided that $40 would do, as the tank was still a ¼ full. For those petrol heads out there, I am driving a Chevy Malibu LTZ. I haven’t got a clue what size engine it has but $40 purchased 11.43 American gallons (I’m told that their gallon it a little different to ours).
    This didn’t fill it up but the mileage shown so far was 393. Average miles per gallon were 24.1 and the fuel range was now 387.
    Off we went. Straight up the I4 past Orlando and passed the massive Amway Stadium. That brought back a great memory. Friends of ours treated us to a night out at the big basketball game, it is where Orlando Magic of the NBA play. What a night that was. It was everything you would expect it to be, loud, bright and fast. Every second of the time inside something was going on. There was a big (and I mean big) blimp/balloon, which was remote controlled, hovering above the crowds dropping t-shirts and tickets for future games. There were people with big air tanks on their backs firing out t-shirts into the crowds with what can only be described as a bazooka. Every time there was a ‘time out’ or end of a quarter of play, there were competitions and entertainment on the court. Not to mention the cameras, which transmitted the pictures of the crowd onto massive screens above the court. Another recommendation, go and see a match if you can.
    We continued onto Daytona Beach. It took about 1 hour 30 minutes to reach Daytona with no traffic on the roads. We passed the racetrack and decided that we would stop off to have a look in the visitors centre. There are refreshments inside, toilets and of course tickets if you wished to purchase. They provide tours of the track for a fee. Also a big gift shop with all sorts of articles from key fobs to the full blown racing jackets, which are covered with advertisements.
    I thought the ‘M & M’ jacket was great and would have purchased one, until Jayne brought me back to reality. “It’s not the sort of thing you would wear down the high street when back on the Isle of Wight” she said. The same goes for all the cowboy hats and boots you can buy out here. I have always wanted to have some but she will not let me.
    Imagine all the looks you would get walking down to Sandown pier with the spurs jingling!
    We travelled into Daytona Beach and parked near to the pier. We had a quick paddle in the sea and a walk along the shoreline. A very nice beach with some waves large enough for surfers to ride. We then had a spot of light lunch at one of the restaurants. It was very hot; the car temperature gauge read 97 degrees.
    Having had a look round some of the local shops (they all seem to sell the same things, towels, t shirts etc), we left Daytona Beach and drove along the coastal road A1A north towards St. Augustine. There are some wonderful properties as you leave the town, must be their equivalent of millionaires row. Speed is restricted on this road and so we decided to divert through the North Peninsula State Park and onto the I95. The scenery whilst driving through the state park was very nice, lush and green with lots of water, I expected to see an alligator in the road round every corner. This then lead onto the Old Dixie Highway and eventually back onto the I95. A short trip up the I95 and turn off to St. Augustine.

We parked up near the ‘Old Jail House’ and had a walk along the main street. There are lots of trolley rides in the town. These are in fact guided tours. There must be at least three companies who compete for these tours. I decided that we should get back to the car and have a drive over the ‘Bridge of Lions’ towards the famous lighthouse near Anastasia State Park. Having taken the numerous photographs, driving back to the motel we noticed a sports bar called ‘Mardi Gras’.
    It was very busy and so decided to pop in for a drink and some food. I did notice that there were no cars parked in the front just some motorbikes (everyone has a Harley) and a catering van. The front of the bar was packed and so we decided to go through to the rear. It was massive but empty. As we turned round to exit we were confronted by a very hairy sweaty man, who introduced himself by saying ‘ I’m here to give you the heads up. I do the food and cook it to order in the van outside. I make my own patties and cook them fresh. You can order your food and take in the bar with you’ I declined politely and told him we only came in for a beer. I think it was just that he surprised us by standing behind us in the darkened room that put us off. Outside the atmosphere was good and it was obvious that a few of the clientele had a little too much to drink. We had a drink, during which conversations, were struck up with various people who were interested in where we were from, and loved our accents and they were very nice and polite. We left and went off to find some food.

Day Eight
    We stayed in a small Motel for the evening. It was just right for the one night, nothing fancy. Someone did mention the B&B’s in St. Augustine, but we had booked the motel before we knew about them. Refreshed from a good nights sleep, we left the motel and parked our car next to the ‘Castillo de San Marcos’, (which is a Spanish fort) and set off to explore the back streets (It was quite early in the morning and there wasn’t many cars about and so parking was easy. When we left just after lunch time there were queues of cars waiting for the parking places).
    You couldn’t help but notice that there were a number of tours all over the town. Nearly every shop had a sign up showing ‘Ghost tours’, ‘historic tours’, on foot, by train or even by Segway. Lots of lovely little shops and eating places. A very historic place with numerous buildings proclaiming to be the oldest this and the oldest that in America. It reminded me a little of Cornwall, with its pirate museum, jail house museum and many other museums (those who have been to Tintagel Castle will know what I’m talking about). For those who didn’t see it, I managed to send a quick message.
    Managed to get on line whilst sitting having a nice cup of tea. Must be in the 90's easily. Nice place St. Augustine. We are sat in a little Spanish courtyard with a refreshing fountain, opposite the graveyard near Cordova Street.
    There is a small cafe called 'STOGIES' offering a beer & cigar special for $4.99! A few men have taken them up on the offer. Looking around and taking in the smell of the place I could be anywhere in Spain. Except the Eagles are being played over the speaker system 'Lying eyes'. I love the Eagles.
    A good day out and I will return again.

We made our way back towards the condo, and decided to stop off at a place called Winter Park. What a nice place. If you go there, aim for the historic district. It is full of nice individual shops and pavement restaurants. It is comparable to ‘Disney’s Celebration’, but on a grander scale.

On our arrival back at the condo a nice cool dip in the pool was required. Suitably refreshed it was then off to Sweet Tomatoes for a healthy evening meal.
    Bad news on our return James Gandolfini had passed away suddenly, what a shame, he was a great actor. I loved The Sopranos.

Terry
    Last edited by jantel; 20-06-2013 at 13:30.

Loving the reports Terry, we could almost be there.
    Jan and Lee

Lovely to hear info on an area that we havent visited yet but had already planned for this holiday.
    Jan

Great report Terry. As for the eggs funny you should say that we took some friends to the villa with us a couple of weeks ago and they said the same thing

Super Moderator
    Sounds another couple of great days. We found an interesting old structure of the coast road heading north from Daytona of a World War II look out tower made of wood and an interesting plaque beside explaining what is was and why it was built there as a look out.

Love Winter Park it does have some great little shops and restaurants. If you go again try and do the boat trip round some of the lakes and through the canals it is a wonderful way to spend an hour.

Loving your reports Terry.

When we are over Davy has boiled eggs and soldiers practically every morning. He loves them, I don't think I have ever tried them. I always laugh at the size of them, even the large ones look tiny. We took egg cups over with us and the eggs disappear inside them and it is hard to cut the tops of them.
    Angie & Davy

still really enjoying your trip report Terry, thanks for taking the time and trouble to share with us... keep it coming... please
    Liesa

Glad you enjoyed St. Augustine. Maybe next time stay in a B&B. We stayed in Casablanca.The rooms are so romantic and we had a jacuzzi in the bedroom as well as a separate bathroom and the breakfasts are amazing. On the front it has a balcony with rocking chairs and you can sit with a glass of wine (all complimentary and help yourself) homemade cookies, and homemade chocolates.

We also love Winter Park and go to a fabulous Italian restaurant on the main street, which has tables outside if one wishes to dine al fresco.

Sounds like you are really enjoying your trip...we are also enjoying it with you and been awaiting your report!! Thank you.

Really enjoying hearing about such a different trip.
    funny about the eggs as well, I'm not a big egg lover but always have them in Florida, they somehow go with that sort of holiday!

Liz