Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I-phone charges for UK contract

Florida Chatterbox DisneyPrincess's Avatar

I-phone charges for UK contract

I have a contract with orange in the uk where I pay monthly for unlimited calls, texts and data.

Does this still apply in the USA or do international calls on contracts carry an additional charge on top of the existing contract?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Florida Newbie
    International charges still apply but call them up and see if they do a half price bolt on which I use with T Mobile as they are now same company EE

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    If only that was the case. A few years ago, the phone companies were banned from overcharging their customers in europe for high call charges and data calls, so now they are only allowed to charge a maximum of 35p a min. But there is no such limit on calls worldwide, which means people travelling to the US get hammered quite a bit. It is approximately between 90p to 130p a min to make a call from the US, but don't forget you also get charged to receive the call as well, allbeit a bit cheaper at 60p a min. Texts are charged as well, regardless of if you have unlimited texts, as do picture, and you may find you cannot send pictures at all. If you can iMessage them on wifi, that will save a bit.

There has also been a few changes in the network this year. We are with o2 and we used to have the ability to choose auto on the carrier to switch between tmobile and at&t, but it is now only tmobile that are partnered with o2 and the service is diabolical, at&t are far better with their coverage.

One last thing, switch your data roaming OFF at the UK airport. Do not get stung with a huge bill for data when you switch your phone on, on us soil. and all your emails come through
    Last edited by CERICROWLEY; 17-06-2013 at 07:26.
    CERI

Florida Chatterbox DisneyPrincess's Avatar

I-phone charges for UK contract

Thank you both for your advice - I will phone orange and check for bolt ons - if not, I'll just ensure we turn roaming off and use phone cards instead.

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Don't forget though that you will be able to pick up wi fi pretty much anywhere

Make sure your 3G is off also - the 3G on my iphone connected before the wifi !!!

Judy

That would come under turning off Data Roaming.

Quote Originally Posted by berrysmiles View Post
    Make sure your 3G is off also - the 3G on my iphone connected before the wifi !!!

Judy

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    You can turn 3G off as well if you want, it doesn't make any difference to the data charges, its the data roaming that needs to be off. 3G works fine for phones in the UK, but in the US as you do not have the roaming feature on it makes no difference. as you will not be connecting to the US 3G network, and it only wastes your battery life.
    CERI

If you have access to wifi, have you tried viber for free phone calls, and whatsapp for texts?

Whatsapp works great, I've also used skype for calls but not heard of viber - will have to check that out!
    Caroline & Dave